Tracks add out of order

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

ch1525

Tracks add out of order

Post by ch1525 »

When I select a group of tracks from an album in Windows Explorer and click "Play in MediaMonkey", they frequently add out of order. This seems to be when I have a list of things already in Now Playing and use "Play in MediaMonkey" instead of "Play Next" or "Play Last".
Lowlander

Re: Tracks add out of order

Post by Lowlander »

Windows Explorer normally adds tracks starting with the last highlighted (or the one you right click on) track of the selected tracks.
ch1525

Post by ch1525 »

Nope, that's not what is happening. The tracks are adding completely randomly (12,4,6,8, etc....).

Also, even when just selecting 12 tracks (that all appear in order, sorted by type in the window) and then adding them, MediaMonkey seems to hesitate at least a few seconds before playing starts.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What version of Windows and MediaMonkey are you using?
ch1525

Post by ch1525 »

Windows Vista. MediaMonkey 1224.
james4001

Post by james4001 »

Hi

I have this exact same problem. When i select tracks in a folder and right click selecting "play in mediamonkey" the tracks are added in the wrong order, sometimes with tracks missing too. I have reinstalled Vista and tested this without anything else installed. This lead me to believe it was a mediamonkey problem. I have also tried adding tracks from different folders and drives with no luck, it is driving me crazy as i have reinstalled multiple times now to try to get rid of this problem.

Mediamonkey versions tried:

Windows Vista Home Premium clean install with and without SP1

Any help would be great,

James
MetalFrog

Post by MetalFrog »

When I add from a folder, I select the last song first, hold shift then select the first song, hit any of the three play options and they add fine. If I do it the other way I get missing tracks/out of order issues.
A man walks into a butcher shop and says, "I'll bet you fifty dollars you can't take the meat down off the top shelf!"

The butcher replies, "No way! The steaks are too high!"
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I tried to reproduce and I can't. MediaMonkey always add in order starting with the last track highlighted (or right clicked on to play in MediaMonkey). Using 1225 on Windows XP SP3.
ch1525

Post by ch1525 »

So, is anyone having this problem. I can replicate 100% of the time. I have to have tracks currently in Now Playing, select new tracks in windows explorer and click on "Play Now" which should clear the Now Playing list and add those tracks in order. It clears the playlist, but adds the tracks in a random order. Another thing that happens is that "MediaMonkey" at the top of the program window flashes rapidly while the tracks are adding.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I also cannot reproduce, but couldn't this be a side effect of
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5390 ??
i.e. Do you click the 'Now Playing' node after the tracks are added?
ch1525

Post by ch1525 »

I don't think so as I use the details view. It's not a huge problem, but an inconvenience. I could also see somebody making a pretty big tagging mistake because of it if they didn't notice that the tracks were added out of order and then did an Auto-increment Track number operation.

Post by guest »

Same problem here.

Furthermore: When you highlight the tracks in folder view and click on "Play in MediaMonkey" it only adds one title to the list when MM is not already started.

If it is already started, all the marked tracks are added. But not in the same order as they are shown in the folders view, nor vice versa, nor in the alphabetical order, or whatever. Seems to be randomly ...?
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks for the feedback.

Re. the problem of tracks being added out of order:
As far as we're aware, this is a Windows problem that we're not able to work around. Try doing the same in Winamp and you should observe the same behavior. If MM has this problem but other mediaplayers on your system don't, please let us know.

Re. the problem of only 1 track being added if MM isn't running:
I cannot reproduce this. Anyone else observing this problem?

-Rusty

Post by Guest »

I did have this problem when I first started using MM. I noticed that when I opened up the each individuals tracks properties, some of them had a 1 present in the Disc # field. It doesn't make a lot of sense because the majority of my albums are ripped from CD's, but I did experience a good number that had that problem. I am sure you have already done this, but make sure that the applicable track properties match up identically for every track on the record.
tfreeze

Post by tfreeze »

I just migrated from XP to Windows 7 64-bit and had a similar problem: tracks selected in Windows Explorer were played out of order in MediaMonkey. The problem went away when I used the right mouse button to run MediaMonkey as administrator. Not knowing if the program would always be run as administrator after that (for instance, when the program is closed and I select a song from Windows Explorer), I went into regedit and changed the MediaMonkey's permissions to "users" and checked "allow" for full control. The problem seems fixed, though it has not been all that long since I made the changes......