How do you tell Live albums apart from Studio recordings.

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MusicBringer

How do you tell Live albums apart from Studio recordings.

Post by MusicBringer »

My question is about dealing with Live albums.
I want to "mark" albums that are not recorded in the studio.
How do you do it - what MM fields do you use.

Do you distinguish between concert hall such as Royal Albert Hall, or music venue such as the Rainbow.
Are your open air concerts flagged in some specific manner.
How do you tag an acoustic concert as opposed to arena rock in a sports stadium.
Is an intimate nightclub performance identified in a unique and special way.

I would welcome your ideas, esp how you use MM3 to recognize such differences.
Thanks,
MediaMonkey user since 2006
BenRad

Re: How do you tell Live albums apart from Studio recordings.

Post by BenRad »

I've recently started using the genres Live Rock, Live Hip-Hop, etc. Probably not the most ideal method, but it works for me.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Yeah I went through that stage myself :)
With so many Genres in existence already I found doubling them was out of the question.
And of course that can often mean that the additional Genre applies to just one album.
Nice idea, but No it didn't work for me.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can use multiple genre's so you could create a live genre and tag files with Rock;Live to have the song be part of both. You could also use the Grouping, one of the Classification fields, a Custom field or append live to the Album name.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Hello Lowlander

Grouping - tried that, and sorry I didn't get on with it.
Custom field - that's actually what I am doing at present.
It is tiresome to type Live In Concert every time I want to flag a track. I am looking for an alternative.
Append live to the Album name - yeah I am doing that too.

Use multiple genre's so you could create a live genre and tag files with Rock;Live.
Now that I hadn't thought of. I suppose coz I don't use multiple genres.
This is a possibility though. Thanks for the idea. I might give it a go.
justin_f

Post by justin_f »

I use Custom1 as my "Version" field. Things like acoustic, remix, live, etc. go there. In order to avoid typing those in every time I come across one, I use the eCustom script. It puts an entry in your right-click menu that allows you to append data to fields. It's really easy to configure and a really nice solution. Check out the scripts forum for it.

Justin
MCSmarties

Post by MCSmarties »

Well, I just add [Live] to all song titles that are performed live. If I have additional information (venue, date, etc.) I'll put it in the Comments field.

(I'm a firm believer that the basic "unit" of music is the TRACK - e.g. the SONG - not the album. This is more true nowadays than ever. Consequently, all my tagging is aimed at incorporating the information in the individual song file.)
justin_f

Post by justin_f »

MCSmarties wrote:(I'm a firm believer that the basic "unit" of music is the TRACK - e.g. the SONG - not the album. This is more true nowadays than ever. Consequently, all my tagging is aimed at incorporating the information in the individual song file.)
I agree with that. I keep the info stored in seperate fields, but I add it to the filename using auto-organize.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Lowlander wrote:You can use multiple genre's so you could create a live genre and tag files with Rock;Live to have the song be part of both.
Alright, I have started using multiple genres.
Now, how do I add the genre Live, to tags that already contain various genres.
For example I can select all my Live tracks.
I then want to add Live to the end of existing genres for a particular track.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MusicBringer wrote:
Lowlander wrote:You can use multiple genre's so you could create a live genre and tag files with Rock;Live to have the song be part of both.
Alright, I have started using multiple genres.
Now, how do I add the genre Live, to tags that already contain various genres.
For example I can select all my Live tracks.
I then want to add Live to the end of existing genres for a particular track.
Tag one track as "Live" or manually add "Live" to a track using a semi-colon (so that Live appears under the Genre node in the tree). Then, select all the tracks you want to tag, hold the 'Ctrl' key, and drag them to the "Live" node (this will add Live to the list of genres rather than replace the other genres).
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
FEB

Post by FEB »

I asked the exact same question a little while ago. I used RegExp find and replace, and made a preset that added "(Live)" to the end of each track. Nice and easy!
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

nohitter151 wrote:Tag one track as "Live" or manually add "Live" to a track using a semi-colon (so that Live appears under the Genre node in the tree). Then, select all the tracks you want to tag, hold the 'Ctrl' key, and drag them to the "Live" node (this will add Live to the list of genres rather than replace the other genres).
Thanks, and I learnt the hard way that you have to remember to hold down the Ctrl key :roll:
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

simple but then very easy.

i just type the word live in to the album title.

and i made a genere called "concert"

so i only have to search for that genere if i want one. :D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Hello rovingcowboy, hope you are well :)
I have found the one word such as Live or Concert is insufficient for my needs.
I like to distinguish between say an arena type performance and a small nightclub; The Fillmore or BB King's blues place, the Royal Albert Hall or The Rainbow, BBC Radio One In Concert sessions or KBFH, bootlegs or out-takes, and so on.
They are all concerts as opposed to Studio recordings. I think there is a variety of different sorts of Concert :P
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

yep if it is wanted to have a way to keep track of the different styles then the one word won't fit your needs.

but i am just the opp.. of you i just don't keep track of them. i got the beach boy's live in London in 1969. and that title is good enough for me to keep track London is a big place but not as big as whole of england. so i pinned it down that much. :lol: and Elvis aloha from Hawaii is still in the pacific ocean so i got that one located too.
only ones i don't have is the beach boys winter of 72 and 73 concert album located? no idea where it was done at.
some place in the USA so i guess thats alright for a location on it. but it was bad sounding when i put it in i had to edit all the songs some one made the album mono tone :cry:
and johnny cash live at Folsom prison is a good fix too. to me all concerts are treated equally if they are bootleg versions or if they are company recorded versions or recorded by the band members. i just run them through the wav editor and fix them according to the needs of the sound. I'm just a laid back listener i guess, i like to hear the songs but i like to hear the words of them also.
:D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.