Adding Network Drives to Library

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

ry555

Adding Network Drives to Library

Post by ry555 »

I am able to select network drives to search for tracks when adding tracks to library but MM does nothing once I click OK? What have I missed.
I have switched off the firewall and made sure the drives and directories are shared :o
MM has no trouble with the local drives, in fact its a revelation :D

Please Help
rusty

Adding Network drives

Post by rusty »

If the shared network drive is accessible via Windows explorer (i.e. you can see it in the explorer and you can browse its contents in the explorer) it should be available from within MediaMonkey.

The only other possible explanation I can think of is that there's a problem with the shared drive's serial number (see section 5h) of the readme for more info). If this doesn't solve your problem, then it's possible you're experiencing a problem related to the one described at:
http://www.songs-db.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=515 which needs further investigation.

Thanks Rusty

Post by Guest »

Well seems its a network issue, although media monkey is not lighting up when it is told to search network drives it is actually doing it slowly in the background. Like over the course of three or four hours it was gradually adding the 10 gigs I have on other network drives to its database. This must be a network speed issue?
rusty

Scanning over the network

Post by rusty »

Most network speed is the issue. One question though: when you say that it is doing the scan 'slowly and in the background' are you saying that the status bar at the bottom of MediaMonkey doesn't appear (e.g. 'scanning /machineb/music/u2/MLK.mp3 ')?

Post by Guest »

Yes correct, the only way I knew it was adding the files is while i was scrolling the lists, I noticed entries being added slowly. My network has been having some speed issues. But no MM said nothing on the bottom bar like it was when scanning the local drives
rusty

Post by rusty »

Are you using the File Monitor to add tracks? Or are you adding them by clicking File|Add Tracks to the Library ?
Lowlander

Network songs/movies not showing in MM

Post by Lowlander »

Neither songs or the folders show up in MM when I add tracks to the library from network drives. Under the network tab under location nothing shows up. Neither can the songs/movies be found when searched for or are they anywhere in the library. It shows the scanning bar at the bottom off MM for a short second (I think is says something about C:/ Documents and Settings, not sure).

I check the drives serial numbers and all drives have a different number. I have tried to scan the network from both PC's with the same result, nothing shows up. Network speed shouldn't be a problem as the connection between PC's is 100Mb. Also have not experienced problems with other jukebox programs. Drives are fully accesible through windows explorer as well.

Software: MM 2.0 free, WinAmp 2.91 and WinXP Pro.

Hardware: AMD XP 1700Mhz, 448Mb PC2100, CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device (Sound), Sis 740 (Display) 2HDD with songs on second.

Other PC: SIS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter, WinXP Home sp1, Celeron 1.3Ghz, 192Mb and 1HDD some songs on this

Network: MM PC (Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC), Router (Dlink DI-604 Residential Gateway)

Urgency: Would like to see that fixed very soon

Post by Guest »

I am using or trying to use "add tracks to library" I have file monitor switched on. Sorry bout delay in answering
rusty

Post by rusty »

Lowlander,
We've been working on a similar problem with Mister_RDZ (see http://www.songs-db.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2103).

My guess is that if you do a dir of each of the drives remotely, you won't see a unique serial number for each drive. Let me know if this is the case.

Also, please let me know if MM 2.0.2 Beta 2 solves the problem.

-Rusty
rusty

Post by rusty »

ry555,

Please try disabling the File Monitor and let me know if the problem still occurs.

Also, what OS is running on the remote computer? (file monitor only works on W2K/XP systems).

thx.

-Rusty
Lowlander

Still no success

Post by Lowlander »

The new beta doesn't solve my problem. I installed the beta on the 2 before mentioned PC's and tried from either PC to search for songs on networked PC's. I even tried from the laptop to get songs from a third PC and this also was unsuccessful. WinAmp does see the songs and has no problems.

This really sucks for me as I heavily depend on networkability in my players.

My guess is that if you do a dir of each of the drives remotely
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I currently have folders shared and I try to add these shared folders to MM. This just doesn't work.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Lowlander,

What I meant was if you execute a DIR command on the local machine for each of the remote networked drives, it should return a Volume ID for each of those drives. What is the volume ID that is returned?

btw, the fix in MM 2.0.2 Beta 2 should make the above answer irrelevant, but it's worth knowing...

Two other questons:
1) When you try to browse the Networked drives via the My Computer Node in MediaMonkey, do you have access to your tracks & can you play them? If you press <insert> while one of these directories is highlighted, does it get added to the library?

2) If you configure the File Monitor to monitor a location on your networked drive, does the library gradually get updated?

Thanks for your patience.
Lowlander

I got something going on, woohoo!!

Post by Lowlander »

I finally got my files into MM.

First on the dir of network drives: This results in the same volume ID as on the local machine and doesn't conflict with any other drives.

File monitor isn't possible as I don't have the gold version.

I went to the My Computer node and saw the network, the shared drives and MM read the files correctly. After that I used Add Tracks to Library and it was able to add network songs to the library.

Here is my guess of what possibly could have been wrong:
I normally start MM on local machine first. Later on I establish network (turning router and second PC on). Then I try to add tracks on network drives.
As with Win Explorer sometimes is the case MM might have trouble to see changes in the network when the program is already opened. By going to the My Computer node MM is made aware of network environment and as such Add Tracks... works.
I do not know where the problem lies, but I already had MM 2.02 beta 2 installed and the network still didn't work. Going through the My Computer node seemed to have taken care off the problem.

Let me know if you need additional info to see if this is a real problem in MM or just a weird occurance on my PC's.