Library File Compares?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Agrajag

Library File Compares?

Post by Agrajag »

Guys, MediaMonkey is telling me I have 6,789 songs. My library is all on one drive (F) all stored in the format:

F:\Music\Artist\Album\(trackname)

All my music is in FLAC format.

However, Windows Explorer tells me that I have 6,790 FLAC files in the F:\Music hierarchy.

I have two other apps as well that scan music files and both of the others also report 6,790 FLAC files. I'd tried Rescanning several times. No luck.

How can I most easily (if that's at all possible) resolve the difference? Must be a way to get some sort of output at the least that I can brute force down if I have to resort to that.
Eyal

Re: Library File Compares?

Post by Eyal »

OMG! :o So you lost 1 flac file... :lol:

Maybe you have a short file and one of these options ticked:

Tools|Options|Library -> Ignore tracks shorter than XX KB/seconds.

If it's the case, you'll need to change these settings and rescan all files.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

hehehe. If it were 200 I'd almost feel better. That it's one drives me a little nuts as it's clear it's not just one big goof up somewhere.

I did have Ignore Tracks shorter than 20kb checked.

I unchecked that and rescanned. No such luck. Still missing the file. Shortest track is a hidden track of 4 seconds (from a group called Off By One). It shows up just fine. It's also 200kb so a less than a 10th of that size seems extremely unlikely.

The point still remains. Three tools show 6,790 FLAC files and yet Media Monkey doesn't match that. Something clearly is at issue and it MAY be a MM bug so I'd like to find the curious file to be able to possibly report the issue.
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

A bit more info:

Audio Tester is a small app I used to do some file checks and it was one of the apps that also sees 6,790 files. However, the interesting part is that it also checks various file types, including FLAC. It found, of my whole library, that 8 files failed as follows:

F:\Music\Bryan Adams\So Far So Good\Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You.flac (LOST_SYNC @ 0m 00s)
F:\Music\Bryan Adams\So Far So Good\Bryan Adams - Cuts Like A Knife.flac (LOST_SYNC @ 0m 00s)
F:\Music\Bryan Adams\So Far So Good\Bryan Adams - Heaven.flac (LOST_SYNC @ 0m 00s)
F:\Music\Bryan Adams\So Far So Good\Bryan Adams - Run To You.flac (LOST_SYNC @ 0m 00s)
F:\Music\Bryan Adams\So Far So Good\Bryan Adams - Somebody.flac (LOST_SYNC @ 0m 00s)
F:\Music\Bryan Adams\So Far So Good\Bryan Adams - Straight from the Heart.flac (LOST_SYNC @ 0m 00s)
F:\Music\Bryan Adams\So Far So Good\Bryan Adams - Summer of '69.flac (LOST_SYNC @ 0m 00s)
F:\Music\Bryan Adams\So Far So Good\Bryan Adams - This Time.flac (LOST_SYNC @ 0m 00s)

Interestingly MM has no problem playing them. I was hoping one of them might be so bad that it was the missing file but nope. Any idea if the above report should concern me?
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> MediaMonkey is telling me I have 6,789 songs.
> However, Windows Explorer tells me that I have 6,790 FLAC files

I have seen this when MM Add/Rescan rejects a file e.g. due to unrecognised content - unfortauntely MM does not alert the user.

> How can I most easily (if that's at all possible) resolve the difference?

I used Beyond Compare to compare all-files playlists exported by MM and by Mp3tag.
Chris
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

Does it have to be exported to do the compare?
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Agrajag wrote:Does it have to be exported to do the compare?
The two playlists do. It is fast.
Chris
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

What two playlists though? The other apps don't show playlists. They just tell me how many FLAC files there are. What would be another simple product to produce a playlist to export from the songs there?
Bex

Post by Bex »

Couldn't you just create a m3u-playlist from one of the other applications and then import it into MM?
If so, just do an advanced search:
Type=Flac
Playlist is not: "Your Imported Playlist"
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> Couldn't you just create a m3u-playlist from one of the other applications and then import it into MM?

IME that doesn't ID the missing file - MM just silently fails to load it and omits the entry from the tracklist.
Chris
Bex

Post by Bex »

Yes, my suggestion wouldn't work since it is in MM the track is missing... :oops:

But the opposite could work, if the other apps you can do similar advanced search as MM can do . I.e. export a playlist from MM containing all Flacs into one of the other apps.
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.

All My Scripts
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Bex wrote:But the opposite could work, if the other apps you can do similar advanced search as MM can do . I.e. export a playlist from MM containing all Flacs into one of the other apps.
Surely neither MM nor other apps' search can find a track that is not there...
Chris
Bex

Post by Bex »

chrisjj wrote:
Bex wrote:But the opposite could work, if the other apps you can do similar advanced search as MM can do . I.e. export a playlist from MM containing all Flacs into one of the other apps.
Well, since the other apps can see the track MM can't then it would work, wouldn't it? (Given that they can perform such searches as MM can.)

All My Scripts
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Bex wrote:
chrisjj wrote:
Well, since the other apps can see the track MM can't then it would work, wouldn't it? (Given that they can perform such searches as MM can.)
They wont see the missing track in the MM-expreted list, because MM has omitted it.
Chris
Bex

Post by Bex »

Other apps -> 6,790 tracks
minus
MM generated playlist -> 6,789 tracks (imported into the other apps)
equals
The missing tracks in the other apps

All My Scripts