Question about Playlists and the Creative ZEN?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

eboyer93

Question about Playlists and the Creative ZEN?

Post by eboyer93 »

I decided to try make a playlist so I made a playlist of my favorite Prince tracks.

I works and I was wondering about how they work when I sync to the ZEN?

-Does it convert the playlist to .m3u and then sync it to the ZEN?

If I already have all the songs in the playlist on my ZEN will it still resync all the tracks in the playlist?
eboyer93

Re: Question about Playlists and the Creative ZEN?

Post by eboyer93 »

I did a test and when I sync the playlist to the zen it copyed all the files it the playlist onto the ZEN even though all those songs were already on the ZEN. Is there a way to set it to not do that?
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

It will copy the tracks the first time you Auto-sync the files, afterwards only the modified files/playlists. If you use Sync or Copy to Device (not Auto-sync) the it will copy them each time regardless they are the same.

This may be help you: http://www.mediamonkey.comwww.mediamonk ... 12&t=42102
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
eboyer93

Post by eboyer93 »

I guess I won't be using playlists then.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

There is no need to give up using playlists. Once you setup your autosync lists and they have been synced to your Zen the first time, every sync after that it will only sync thosse files/playlists which have changed since your last sync. Keep in mind if you do alot of tag changing or playlist changing, these will keep syncing to your Zen. I do not know what difference it makes but I do not have the option selected to update the timestamp of my tracks. Now I only see minor changes in my syncs unless I have done some major tagging. I use MM for my Zen and Zen X-fi and on my Zen I only sync it once every 2 or 3 weeks and at most I usually only see more than 100 tracks being synced because I've made some minor changes. On my X-fi I usually only see 10-50 track changes, mostly it is playlist changes because I adjust my playlists every few days. In all the time I use MM, playlists are the one area I have the least amount of trouble with. My Zen has an autosync list of 44 playlists and 1005 tracks, my X-Fi has a list of 1621 tracks and 83 playlists.

Keep in mind any manual syncs you do by using the send to... option it will always recopy everything, and if you have tracks that are a part of other playlists you will lose the links in those playlists, that is why it is better to use autosyncing. I only use manual syncing when I upload my audiobooks since they are not a part of any other playlists.

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
eboyer93

Post by eboyer93 »

I guess I could set it to auto sync the artists I have in my playlists, and then manual sync anything else I want on my ZEN. :)
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

My preferred method is to setup the autosync to include all the artists/playlists which I want on my Zen at all times, and to use manual sync for those tracks which I will only want on it for a short period of time. An example is my audiobooks, once I listen to them I do not want them to remain on the Zen and since most are more than 4 hours long I do not set them up in autosync because I lose my bookmarks. However, the manual sync is a PITA because I do not get my album art when manually syncing. :-?

Nyn

eboyer93

Post by eboyer93 »

I prefer to have control over what I sync, but that is just me.

My idea would work thought right?

My album artwork shows up when I use manual sync, but I only sync full albums and not just single tracks from the albums.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

eboyer93 wrote:I prefer to have control over what I sync, but that is just me.
I fail to see how this is out of your control, but that may just be a commincations breakdown.
eboyer93 wrote:My idea would work thought right?
Yes your idea should work.
eboyer93 wrote:My album artwork shows up when I use manual sync, but I only sync full albums and not just single tracks from the albums.
One day I will play around with it to figure out why it is not working for me, but since I do not "look" at my player when it is playing, the presence of art or it's lack is not a problem for me. :wink: