Sync checked songs only

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Lam63

Sync checked songs only

Post by Lam63 »

MMonkey is great, i need the ability to "sync checked songs only" like in itunes. when i add new songs to my folders and open them in the main window, they should all have the option to check on or off so i can uncheck the tracks i dont want to sync to my iphone and when you close and reopen MMonkey it should remember wich ones were checked or unchecked, and also when mmonkey can't locate a track to play, put a question mark next to the track and ask the user if he wish to locate that track like in itunes.Well' the description above is in itunes, just add it in the next update so that i can put itunes to rest once and for all. thanks
Eyal

Re: Sync checked songs only

Post by Eyal »

MediaMonkey is not iTunes, and I don't think it will ever mimic iTunes by having those check boxes.

Actually you can do the same thing by creating an internal playlist with only tracks you want to synchronize. You can add/remove tracks to this playlist at any time, and then tell MM to synchronize (or copy to device) that playlist.

With MM Gold you can create an autoplaylist which contains all tracks that have been/not been synchronized to (specific) device(s). With further manipulation (and maybe a script) it might be possible to simulate the check boxes.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
malikatan

Post by malikatan »

I completely agree that a similar feature would be a great addition to MM. The check mark works really nicely when your scanning through some music and you want to know immediately if its going to sync up or not without having to look in a playlist.

I've cludged up something similar by using one of the category fields. I have created a playlist that searches for songs without Category 1 set to anything. To disable syncing of particular songs I set Cat1 to some value, e.g., '1'. This is a bit clunky because I have to edit a column or open up the properties dialog.

The playlist approach works, but that method is a little clunky and its not possible to see if a song is syncable unless I open up my playlist. I do agree that MM is not iTunes and shouldn't be, but that's no reason to poopoo a really great feature.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

I'm not trying to demolish the idea, indeed it's would be a great feauture.
malikatan wrote:I've cludged up something similar by using one of the category fields. I have created a playlist that searches for songs without Category 1 set to anything. To disable syncing of particular songs I set Cat1 to some value, e.g., '1'. This is a bit clunky because I have to edit a column or open up the properties dialog.
For the meantime you can ease this process.
- Show the Cat1 field in the lists: right-click column headers and select it.
- Edit the field: selecting it and press F2 (or click 2 times - not double-click).

Greetings
:~)
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Solitaire001

Post by Solitaire001 »

I agree that a checkbox function would be a nice option to add to MediaMonkey. When I was using iTunes it was an easy way for me to control the music loaded on my player and I used it until I came up with a better way to control the music loaded on my player (see below).

However, I think that using playlists to control the music loaded on your player is the better option. With playlists, you have a great deal of flexibility over how you control the music that is loaded on your player, and can use many different methods to accomplish this.

For example, through auto playlists I use ratings to control the music on my player. Rated songs are loaded on my player, and unrated songs are not. This makes it easy to add and delete songs from my player, I just change the rating.

I also have subdivision auto playlists on my player such as one that only contains rated music tracks (I renamed one of my custom fields "Music" and mark it "Yes" or "No"), several for favorites (all tracks rated 5 stars, and several lists that only a certain genre of music with tracks rated 5 stars), and some based on mood and tempo. I have a total of 27 playlists for my player.

By using various auto playlists, when I rate a song it is automatically added to all of the appropriate playlists without any further action on my part. Using checkboxes or regular playlists doesn't offer this kind of flexibility.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In a previous discussion the issue with users with multiple devices (not uncommon for MediaMonkey users) wasn't resolved. Having checkboxes for each device would create a clutter.

I do understand that selecting checkboxes would be quicker than adding tracks to a playlist.
malikatan

Post by malikatan »

My application is not to select tracks that I want to "include" in playlists. It is rather to eliminate tracks that I always want to exclude from all playlists and/or all devices. For instance, I may have many duplicates that span multiple albums, e.g., original album plus greatest hits plus compilation album etc. I may have songs I like to have in my library but don't want them on my iPod. I may have podcasts that I have listened to and don't want them on my iPod, but may want to keep them in my library. The checkbox in iTunes allows me with one action to delete this track from any automatic playlists AND from being loaded onto my iPod.

I agree that the checkbox is not appropriate for generate explicit playlists or content for multiple devices.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

I too would like for each device a track column having a checkbox to include in auto-sync.

LL, it wouldn't cause undue clutter because like every column it could be hidden.

Eyal, actually you can't do the same thing by "creating an internal playlist with only tracks you want to synchronize" because this doesn't show tracks in list context, this being the whole basis of the simplicity that iTunes users enjoy.

I'll go further and say I want the same feature for playlists.
Chris