Moving MM library structure to new computer

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

drubrew

Moving MM library structure to new computer

Post by drubrew »

I just got a new computer and I want to make my transition of my music library as painless as possible to the new computer. All of my music is on an HP Media Server. So this portion is unaffected. Is there a Library Data file that I can simple copy to my new computer from old that will remember the library structure etc. The last time I did this I had lots of problems with a rescan of the library. Art work was no longer tagged, I use all Wav. A bunch of the albums, and I do mean a bunch, lost there structure and got grouped into an UNKNOWN album category and I had to dissect it and regroup Albums and Artists. It took days to recreate. I don't want to go through that again. Any help would be appreciated.
nohitter151

Re: Moving MM library structure to new computer

Post by nohitter151 »

MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Post by Guest »

This is a great link, the article on moving the library database is very helpful. But, I am having one problem. My new computer is windows 7, and when I try to do the last step (running the script), I get an error message from MM telling me that I don't have permission to access the MM_HDDSerial.vbs file.

When I open MM I am "running as administrator" as the article says to do. I have tried messing with the security/permission settings on the MM_HDDSerial.vbs file (as well as the scripts folder), though, I may not be doing it right. I have also turned off UAC, through the control panel, but, I still get the same error.

Anyone know how to get around this error? I would REALLY appreciate the help... don't want to lost my whole library just cause I had to get a new computer.

thanks!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Guest wrote:This is a great link, the article on moving the library database is very helpful. But, I am having one problem. My new computer is windows 7, and when I try to do the last step (running the script), I get an error message from MM telling me that I don't have permission to access the MM_HDDSerial.vbs file.

When I open MM I am "running as administrator" as the article says to do. I have tried messing with the security/permission settings on the MM_HDDSerial.vbs file (as well as the scripts folder), though, I may not be doing it right. I have also turned off UAC, through the control panel, but, I still get the same error.

Anyone know how to get around this error? I would REALLY appreciate the help... don't want to lost my whole library just cause I had to get a new computer.

thanks!
What's the exact error message?

Post by Guest »

"File C:\Program Files (x86)\Media Monkey\Scripts\MM_HDDSerial.vbs cannot be opened: The file is unavailable or you may not have permission to access it."

thanks again so much for helping!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Hm, well two things.

1) can you open the file with notepad?
2) does it really say "C:\Program Files (x86)\Media Monkey\Scripts\...etc" because the true file path should be "C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey\Scripts\...etc"

Post by Guest »

Yes, I can open the file in notepad.

Yes, you are right, the file path is MediaMonkey, not Media Monkey. no space. Sorry about that...
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Guest wrote:Yes, I can open the file in notepad.

Yes, you are right, the file path is MediaMonkey, not Media Monkey. no space. Sorry about that...
Hm, only other thing I can think is that possibly the file has the wrong extension, are you sure it isn't named MM_HDDSerial.vbs.txt? It needs to end in .vbs

Post by Guest »

Yep, that was it! I feel kinda silly...

I swear tried to make it .vbs before, but I think something about the permissions in the Scripts folder maybe prevented it from happening, so it was really .vbs.txt. This time I just moved it to the desktop, changed it .vbs for real, and then moved it back into the Scripts folder.

Thank you SO much. So glad to finally have MM set up on my new computer!!!