Playlist in a new window

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

abhiroopb

Playlist in a new window

Post by abhiroopb »

This is quite a simple request.

Basically, I have two monitors and when creating playlists I like to be able to see the playlists on one screen and my library on another. This allows me to drag and drop tracks and keep an eye on the playlist.

Right now it appears I can't open the playlists in a new window. Will this support be added later?
Cruiser

Re: Playlist in a new window

Post by Cruiser »

Have you tried having two instances of MediaMonkey open at the same time,
with your play lists at one, and library at the other?
abhiroopb

Post by abhiroopb »

Didn't realise you could do that! I shall try that. Although I do recall disabling the ability to run two versions of MM at the same time, so I guess I'll just have to re-enable it.

But, will I be able to drag and drop between the two separate versions?
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Go:
Tools \ Options \ General, and uncheck "Allow just one instance..."
Then "OK"

Yes and no on your last question.
I have not been using MM this way, and tested it now.
It is not that simple.
It seems you have to drop your track in the play list node in the instance of MM where you are looking at your library.
Once you have done that, you can do the rest in the other.
It seems you will not be able to place the track directly where you want it placed in the list of tracks in that particular play list.
abhiroopb

Post by abhiroopb »

Thanks!

I guess this is a stop-gap solution until this type of functionality is supported.
pkw115

Post by pkw115 »

I have found this script, http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=46505 useful as a work around to this problem as it allows one to easily add tracks to an existing playlist by simply highlighting the track and checking the box in the script's window. I do not know if it would be suitable for your needs. . .
abhiroopb

Post by abhiroopb »

pkw115 wrote:I have found this script, http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=46505 useful as a work around to this problem as it allows one to easily add tracks to an existing playlist by simply highlighting the track and checking the box in the script's window. I do not know if it would be suitable for your needs. . .
Thanks, I installed it and it's sitting there fine, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything! How do I use it? I installed using the "extensions" program.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

abhiroopb wrote:
pkw115 wrote:I have found this script, http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=46505 useful as a work around to this problem as it allows one to easily add tracks to an existing playlist by simply highlighting the track and checking the box in the script's window. I do not know if it would be suitable for your needs. . .
Thanks, I installed it and it's sitting there fine, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything! How do I use it? I installed using the "extensions" program.
I guess you probably have to enable it under the "View" menu, though I never used this add-on.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
pkw115

Post by pkw115 »

Nohitter is correct. The panel is enabled out of the View menu. On my set up it is the bottom option of the View menu. Check out the first post of the script's thread as it gives information about how the script works. Basically, you can add a track, that is highlighted in the main view, to an existing playlist simply by checking the box next to the script name you wish to add the track to. As explained in the first post of the script's thread, a new playlist will not show in the script's window until MM is restarted, so the script will not allow adding tracks to a newly created playlist without a restart of MM. The script will remove tracks from a playlist by an uncheck of the box for that script. I find the script useful for the way I like to create playlists, as I personally found using the Now Playing window for this task awkward. The script is a good work around for me until MM has this function natively. The script's window is dockable and can be moved to be docked in the most convenient place for the way you work. To get around the restart problem, I create several new playlists at a time to work on, then restart MM and use the script's window to add to the newly created lists. Additional questions about using the script might generate more response if they are posted in the script's thread as you will likley get input from the script's creator, as well as others who use it. Good luck.
abhiroopb

Post by abhiroopb »

pkw115 wrote:Nohitter is correct. The panel is enabled out of the View menu. On my set up it is the bottom option of the View menu. Check out the first post of the script's thread as it gives information about how the script works. Basically, you can add a track, that is highlighted in the main view, to an existing playlist simply by checking the box next to the script name you wish to add the track to. As explained in the first post of the script's thread, a new playlist will not show in the script's window until MM is restarted, so the script will not allow adding tracks to a newly created playlist without a restart of MM. The script will remove tracks from a playlist by an uncheck of the box for that script. I find the script useful for the way I like to create playlists, as I personally found using the Now Playing window for this task awkward. The script is a good work around for me until MM has this function natively. The script's window is dockable and can be moved to be docked in the most convenient place for the way you work. To get around the restart problem, I create several new playlists at a time to work on, then restart MM and use the script's window to add to the newly created lists. Additional questions about using the script might generate more response if they are posted in the script's thread as you will likley get input from the script's creator, as well as others who use it. Good luck.
Thanks a lot, that was very helpful. I'm not that much of a heavy playlist user (as I generally create one or two and just listen to those) but this script is very useful.

Is there a good place to find popular scripts for things like lyrics? The MM website seems to only display a limited number of them.
pkw115

Post by pkw115 »

Check out the "Need Help with Addons?" forum. That is where all the script threads are. There is a sticky at the top of the forum that lists all the scripts though that can be a bit overwhelming at first. The forum is also searchable. As for lyrics, I enjoy the Embedded Minilyrics script. There are a number of other active script threads concerning lyrics, (Lyrics and Comment Viewer, Lyricator, Inline Lyrics, etc) but I do not use these so I can't offer advice about them.
abhiroopb

Post by abhiroopb »

thanks again!
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

I would say that:
Mini lyrics + minilyrics embedder = awesome.

:wink:
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
abhiroopb

Post by abhiroopb »

Is there any easy way to back up playlists?

I assume the export options “works” but I need to be 100% sure. When I migrated from Ubuntu to Windows I had my playlists saved as .m3u and they were not readable in MM as Amarok (in Ubuntu) had done something funny with the way the playlists were formatted.

Anyway I have made my playlists again but I need to know what the best way is to:
a) Export the playlists
b) Import the playlists back into a new installation of MM
I want the LEAST hassle possible, i.e. I want to click on button to export and one button to import (and then not have to worry about it not working because of some formatting error). Is this easily possible in MM?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

abhiroopb wrote:Is there any easy way to back up playlists?

I assume the export options “works” but I need to be 100% sure. When I migrated from Ubuntu to Windows I had my playlists saved as .m3u and they were not readable in MM as Amarok (in Ubuntu) had done something funny with the way the playlists were formatted.

Anyway I have made my playlists again but I need to know what the best way is to:
a) Export the playlists
b) Import the playlists back into a new installation of MM
I want the LEAST hassle possible, i.e. I want to click on button to export and one button to import (and then not have to worry about it not working because of some formatting error). Is this easily possible in MM?
The absolutely best way is to maintain backups of your database:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=65
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.