iPod Touch Lyrics won't sync

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

andrewjmay

iPod Touch Lyrics won't sync

Post by andrewjmay »

I am syncing my iPod touch (8gb, v3.1.2) with MM (v 3.2) and it all works fine (tracks, playlists, album art) except I don't get any lyrics downloaded to the iPod. Can anybody tell me how to fix this? Thanks!
nohitter151

Re: iPod Touch Lyrics won't sync

Post by nohitter151 »

andrewjmay wrote:I am syncing my iPod touch (8gb, v3.1.2) with MM (v 3.2) and it all works fine (tracks, playlists, album art) except I don't get any lyrics downloaded to the iPod. Can anybody tell me how to fix this? Thanks!
Stupid question, but do the tracks have lyrics in MM?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
andrewjmay

Post by andrewjmay »

Yes, the lyrics are visible when I access the track from the main library listing. When the iPod is connected to MM, it shows up in the left hand menu in MM. When I look at the same tracks in this listing, the lyrics aren't there. And, of course, they aren't on the iPod itself. Thanks.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

andrewjmay wrote:When the iPod is connected to MM, it shows up in the left hand menu in MM. When I look at the same tracks in this listing, the lyrics aren't there.
That's expected.
And, of course, they aren't on the iPod itself. Thanks.
I don't know, I have an iPhone and its working fine. Might be beneficial to clear your iPod and resync.

andrewjmay

Post by andrewjmay »

Yes, I was thinking the same - delete everything and start over. I'll let you know how it goes. Thx.
davidbspalding

Post by davidbspalding »

I'm just trying this feature as well ... songs with lyrics in the properties in MM don't show up on a 6G Ipod Classic (See below; track turned out not to have lyrics in it) ... is it known whether iTunes hasn't used a proprietary tag, or is iTunes and recent iPods using the conventional tag (file type: MP3)?

TIA.
Last edited by davidbspalding on Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
«Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.» Chinese proverb
T43 XP-SP3 2GB RAM, dual hard drives, MM 4.0.3 Gold; Ipod Classic 7G v2.0.4, Nano 3G v1.1.3.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

davidbspalding wrote:I'm just trying this feature as well ... songs with lyrics in the properties in MM don't show up on a 6G Ipod Classic ... is it known whether iTunes hasn't used a proprietary tag, or is iTunes and recent iPods using the conventional tag (file type: MP3)?

TIA.
I'm pretty sure it just looks in the id3v2 tag. There's an open bug that specifically mentions an issue with the nano: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=6072

davidbspalding

Post by davidbspalding »

Thanks, I double-checked (in MM), and the track that I had inserted lyrics into no longer had them. (scratches head) Will play with this some more, but for now my report is in error.

Tested again, lyrics sync to my Ipod 6G Classic -- one song, the entire lyrics can be scrolled through, others only one screenful is shown, with an ellipsis at the end (...). Can't figure a rhyme or reason to this, except the lyrics that I can view fully were pasted from a text editor into the Lyrics tab of track properties, the others were downloaded and added by Lyricator 1.0.5.0013. The full lyrics are seen in MM. :-? Anyone know if the IPod firmware reads lyrics from the file (there's a short delay when I select them), or are they written to the database?
Last edited by davidbspalding on Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
«Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.» Chinese proverb
T43 XP-SP3 2GB RAM, dual hard drives, MM 4.0.3 Gold; Ipod Classic 7G v2.0.4, Nano 3G v1.1.3.
bobbermanable

Post by bobbermanable »

my songs dont even go there :evil: :evil:
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

It reads lyrics from the tags.

davidbspalding

Post by davidbspalding »

That helps ... I looked at the iPod with the "lyrics issues" while connected, through MM, and the Lyric properties of the tracks "on" the iPod are blank. Hrm.

Looking at the iPod again (disconnected) at, e.g. Peter Gabriel SHAKING THE TREE, the first song has all the lyrics, but subsequent songs have them truncated. All were populated with Lyricator. Looking at another album on the iPod I encountered something that a lot of users on the Apple support forums are complaining about: "Lyrics detected, but unable to retrieve." Apple's forums are full of posts like, "iPod locking up on 'Loading lyrics,'" and "iPod locks up when I try to read lyrics"; haven't had that, knock wood. Over there, the usual suspects include: updates to iTunes 9.1.x, and firmware update 3.1.3 (iPhone, iPod Touch?). No indication that I can find whether these users are loading the device with AAC or MP3 (I'm 99.9% MP3).

If MM isn't transliterating lyrics to the iPod database or something, then I suspect the iPod firmware is incompatible with ... something ... with the MP3 files. Thanks, Apple. Any further clues, anyone?

[Edited for clarity.]

ADDENDUM

Further indications that it's a problem with iPods ... I used RegExp Find & Replace 4.0 to remove double blank lines and trailing spaces from lyrics added to two Peter Gabriel albums (loaded down with Lyricator), and then synced up both an 6G iPod Classic and a 3G iPod Nano. Comparing the exact same tracks side-by-side (nothing auto-converted or transcoded during sync) ... for each track, the Nano shows full lyrics without problems, and the iPod Classic generally truncates the lyrics at the bottom of the screen with an ellipsis, or displays "Lyrics detected, but unable to retrieve." I haven't messed with iTunes (still at 9.0.3 iirc), as I don't sync doodly-squat with iTunes.
76firefly

Post by 76firefly »

OK, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with this ipod only syncing a screenful view of lyrics. Just wanted to add, because this happened to me, if you have your ipod set to sync back with MM so you can update ratings and playcounts, it will also write back the shortened lyrics to MM. So basically whatever songs I've listened to on my ipod when synced back will now show like 8 lines of lyrics in my MM database and mp3 files. It took a few thousand songs before I actually noticed, " what's up with all these songs with short lyrics!"
Sad thing is a lot of the songs were lyrics that I had to actually go and hunt down cuz they aren't on the standard lyricator search list. (But that's the price i pay for listening to obscure music!)
But anyhow, just wondering if others have had success syncing there whole library with lyrics on an Ipod 7th gen classic and if they did anything in particular to make it function correctly???

Just wanted to add, that some songs did sync correctly the whole lyrics from MM. They were 90 percent of the time the first songs on an album. Weird?
papadakis

what the hell do i do when it won't put my music on ipod tou

Post by papadakis »

guess what???? MEDIA MONKEY WON'T LOAD MY MUSIC ONTO MY IPOD AND I'M VEEEEERY ANGRY! What DO I DO?!
nohitter151

Re: what the hell do i do when it won't put my music on ipod

Post by nohitter151 »

papadakis wrote:guess what???? MEDIA MONKEY WON'T LOAD MY MUSIC ONTO MY IPOD AND I'M VEEEEERY ANGRY! What DO I DO?!
Create a new post and give us some details. Complaining in an unrelated topic isn't going to help anything.

76firefly

Post by 76firefly »

Just wanted to follow up with this post and see if anyone has had success getting their ipod classic to sync full lyrics with MM. Had to redo my MM database because it became malformed, so when i went to sync my ipod all the music was on there I couldn't get MM to recognize the tracks were already on there without having to resynch the whole ipod. Anyhow, the first few artists had their lyrics synch over correctly but after that it went back to just the screenfull of lyrics that I had problem with last time. So I disabled the resynch back to MM from the IPOD because I didn't want to lose any lyrics like I did last year. Anyone have any luck getting their IPOD classic to synch more than a screenfull of lyrics, or was it decided that it is a IPOD firmware issue?
Thanks!