Proposal: Take some concepts from EZPlaylist?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

ogg

Proposal: Take some concepts from EZPlaylist?

Post by ogg »

Hi,

as I learn more about MM I found that the ability to change the artist or album name by drag and drop is fascinating simple.

But then I came across some problems while updating the database:

1. I cannot find a Mass-ID3-Tagging tool. For instance in order to set the artist name upon a selection of files /without/ dragging and dropping them. If I use drag&drop from a bigger list of unknown artists then I have to scan about 800 name nodes to find a drop target, which is awful. Also there is no possibility (at least I couldn't figure it out) to set other tags like the genre or the comment on more than one file at a time.

2. So I still use EZPlaylist (a Winamp2 plugin), which is inferior to your tool in some ways but its ID-Tagging possibilities are overwhelming even compared to your tool. Therefore I would like to propose to have a look at the EZPlaylist tool and to take over some concepts. AFAIK it is given up anyway.

3. And while workking with EZ-Playlist I started missing the direct full text search over all tags using a small input field which is always visibile. I know I can do it using the search dialogue but I found the EZ-Playlist version more efficient, maybe as an option.

4. A big problem is to re-synchronize the tags that I change with EZ-Playlist with the MM-database. It looks like I will have to clear the database and re-import it. I tried reimporting just the folders which had changed into the existing database but MM ignores the changes in the ID Tags then. :cry: That's the biggest point in this list.

5. Another convenience point is the display of playback controls in the task-bar. EZ Playlist offers a configurable way to add some play control buttons to the system tray. This spares a lot of space compared to the now playing window. I found the option to minimize MM into the systray, just showing the monkey not very useful. Most annoying the pop-up for a new song produces a sound. OK, I could switch it off, but then I would miss the important system events too.

So, don't get me wrong. I really like the tool but I would love it, if it would combine some strengths from EZPlaylist. Without point 4 being fixed I see a big problem in deciding which one to use, else I would keep using both.

Kind regards
Ogg
"If you can't be good, be careful" D.A.D
Lowlander

some info

Post by Lowlander »

1. Yes you can mass rename ID3 tags in MM. Select multiple tracks and click the checkbox behind the field you want to update. This allows you to write in the field. This topic has been discussed before as more newbies to the program have trouble figuring this out.

2. I would advice you to be more specific in what you like from this program and post these items. That also allows other forum visitors to respond and leave their idea's. It also makes life easier for the programmers.

3. This sounds like a nice idea!

4. This is something that has been discussed before in the forums as other people encounter the same problem. My guess lies that 'Date Stamp' and the setting using this in the 'Options' menu might be causing a problem. I have found the same thing with MM, that updates file names and tags, but doesn't update the timestamp, which gave me some problems with other programs. But you'll need to browse the forums or wait for a response of the programmers for that, sorry!

5. You can turn the pop-up balloon itself off in the 'Options' in MM, this will disable the pop-up and as such the annoying pop sound (btw, this is a window sound not MM). This won't disable any other pop-ups you have from your system or other programs.
As for the taskbar icon, some customization would be nice. I also requested a small player bar window which can be shown always on top or docked to the screen, that might be something you like too! Check it out here: http://www.songs-db.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=203.

I hope this helps somewhat

Lowlander

PS. Not affiliated with MM
jiri

Post by jiri »

Lowlander has already answered almost all items (thanks, btw), just some additions:

3. It's planned as a new toolbar with an edit line - a 'quick search' feature.

4. MM should be able to re-read all changes made by other taggers, you just have to set proper options in 'Library' sheet of options dialog. In your case make sure that 'Update track info from tags when re-adding files' is checked and also 'Only for files with changed timestamp' could be unchecked in order to be sure that no change is missed. Btw, the best option it to use Gold version, because it can does all the modifications automatically on the fly because of its File Monitor feature.

Jiri
Lowlander

??

Post by Lowlander »

My question is why you have to chosen not to update the timestamp of a file when editing it? And if this is common with most other programs? I'm used to DJ2000 that it would update the timestamp when files have been edited.

Let me know
jiri

Post by jiri »

We plan to add an option for enabling/disabling this. The main reason it is this way is that when filesize isn't changed by tagging and we also keep the timestamp, the file can be localized later even if it was moved to another location (another folder, renamed, etc.) outside of MM. Anyway, the option for this will help...

Jiri
Lowlander

Good

Post by Lowlander »

That's a good enough reason for me, no need for me to have the timestamp changed.

I do encounter problems with retreiving moved tracks. The only thing I do is move the files through Windows Explorer (just easier for me right now to mass move files, no additional support needed for me in MM). Then I go to the 'Dead Links' node and all the files show up as expected. I then select all tracks and use retreive moved tracks and it seems to always miss some files (last time 30 out of around 140 moved files). I don't know where the problem lies in this case.