Working with Multiple External Hard Drives

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

SDJeff

Working with Multiple External Hard Drives

Post by SDJeff »

I would like some input on how to organize the library using 2 or more external hard drives. Are there conditional arguments that can be used in Auto Organizing or does it all have to be done manually?

For example, if you wanted to put artists of one genre a-j on one drive and k-z on another, how would you do that automatically? Then what would you do once those drives are filled?

I guess what I'm looking for is a method for cataloging the ever growing collection in a way that MM can handle it.
Lowlander

Re: Working with Multiple External Hard Drives

Post by Lowlander »

SDJeff

Post by SDJeff »

Thanks Lowlander,
I've printed and read those instructions before but never tired the statements in MM.

In auto organize, configure, main directory, I came up with "$if(<album artist:1><j, f:, g:)" If Album Artist <j Then f: else g:

Now any thoughts on how to organize a library in general with multiple hard drives?
Thanks
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

there is no way to automate it based on how much drive space is left.

perhaps the best way is as you have already described by splitting it alphabetically to different drives

another way, if you have a mix of different file types, for example to split flac to one drive, and mp3 to another.

the simplest way is, to get a bigger drive :)

wd has 4tb drives for 400 bucks, which is what I'm using, but you need vista/win7.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BH ... ss_product
SDJeff

Post by SDJeff »

Teknojnky wrote:there is no way to automate it based on how much drive space is left.

perhaps the best way is as you have already described by splitting it alphabetically to different drives

another way, if you have a mix of different file types, for example to split flac to one drive, and mp3 to another.

the simplest way is, to get a bigger drive :)

wd has 4tb drives for 400 bucks, which is what I'm using, but you need vista/win7.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BH ... ss_product
Thanks,
I'm doing the flac & mp3 split on different drives now, but running out of room on each. I run xp so it looks like a couple of more drives for the near future.