Mass Storage Device no longer syncing

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

nrb5

Mass Storage Device no longer syncing

Post by nrb5 »

I have a Seagate FreeAgent Go 200+GB hard drive and it was syncing, but I recently tried to auto-sync it and it didn't add any files I just added a ton of songs so I know there is new stuff to sync. When I go look for it in explorer no luck.

I tried deleting all the files on the drive and trying again, but I am afraid this made things worse. Still the same bug, but now their are no files in the folder. Is there a way to force it to resync with my settings? Is there a way to clear and add the device back as if MediaMonkey had never seen it?

I need some sort of help.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I have media monkey 3.2.4.1304 Gold Lifetime
rovingcowboy

Re: Mass Storage Device no longer syncing

Post by rovingcowboy »

i never use medaimonkey to sync my sony passport, i use the wd software that came with it and sync the hd like i use to do when burning on the cdroms for backup.

does your hd unit not have any software for it to be used with in backing up or copying the files from the hard drive?
:-?
if it has some then use it and back up the image of you music fold and the image of mediamonkey's program files folder.
you will just have to remember to use that way to back up songs from now on. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
nrb5

Post by nrb5 »

Yeah I could use Beyond compare 3, I just like how media monkey organizes and converts formats for me. For instance I have some flac files I want to keep in that format, but I need them as mp3's on the external hard drive. Plus it is a feature and I payed for it so it should work.

Just as a note it actually isn't for backup rather to sync to an external hard drive I use in my CarPC.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you verify the device settings to make sure any files are still selected to be synced to the device?
nrb5

Post by nrb5 »

Yeah it says 97.6GB By the edit buton (All Music is checked) and then it says 124 GB down by the ok button. It thinks everything is synced from what I can tell.

Oh and the Device configuration is Drive letter Z and the device drive letter is set to z.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

did you make the auto sync options use playlists?

if you got it set up as another hd to go in to another computer. i'm thinking that you might want
to use the monkeys auto sync and set up playlists. then go to the playlists and put in the songs you
want on that hd.

click sync and the monkey should load those to the hd. like it would any portable device.

no there won't be any page for the hd. options in auto sync,
there should be one or more options pages in there not named for any device just rename one of the those ones and change its options. make sure you name it the same as the hd.

that is how it is too work and you saying it is not following the options you set up for the auto sync to it?

which brings me back to the playlists. you need to put the songs in the playlist. before monkey will move it to the hd.
the good thing is you only need to use mediamonkey normaly in adding to the playlists if you sat up the auto sync options
to monitor the playlist,

i put one playlist as the one to monitor and add in sub playlists for the different generes to use.
monkey wont add any thing to the hd if there is nothing new in the playlists he will remove songs that have been removed
out of the montiored playlists.
monitoring the playlists for auto sync is not the same monitoring in the monkey's main options. you must use the one in the auto sync options.

now if you have done that and it still does not work, you might be in need of some update for networking from micorsoft,
or some other file update from them.

but it would be a lot of help if you could make a debug report for mediamonkey. use the debug viewer program found in the how to do a bug report message in the debug forum room.
then set it up and run it first then start mediamonkey and try a few songs so you can get the action it does in the report,
then close monkey and save the report and send it to the developers by the submit section in the support area at the top of this forum.

:D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
nrb5

Post by nrb5 »

Ok here are the settings:

I will try and grab a log tomorrow.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

in your playlist image you are telling it to add all accessible files.
but then you are telling it not to add a few playlists which will of course have the files listed that you don't want.
but i believe it is being told to both load then not load them same files.

un check the all accessible files list and just check the lists of the songs you want in it.

don't forget to put the songs in playists or they won't be added when you uncheck that all accessible list.

wheather or not that is causing your trouble i don't know but being told to load then not load songs might be causing it?
:-?
nrb5

Post by nrb5 »

The thing I am confused about is you are saying they have to be in a playlist to be added? I want all my music added. I have a ton that isn't in a playlist. Isn't that why I checked "All Music" under the music tab? Why would a playlist out way the all music being checked. I thought they where separate. It will just copy the playlists to the playlists sub-folder and then all the tracks to the main music fold as the last device configuration screen says. If this isn't the case I will remove the playlists. I don't care about them that much. If things have to be in a playlist to be synced, that is sort of odd because it was syncing everything before and it wasn't in a playlist. Plus that is extremely confusing after looking at the UI and should change if this is the case for d_USBMass1.dll. It certainly doesn't work that way for my ipod.

PS: I will uncheck that though just in case.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

nrb5 wrote:The thing I am confused about is you are saying they have to be in a playlist to be added? I want all my music added. I have a ton that isn't in a playlist. Isn't that why I checked "All Music" under the music tab? Why would a playlist out way the all music being checked. I thought they where separate. It will just copy the playlists to the playlists sub-folder and then all the tracks to the main music fold as the last device configuration screen says. If this isn't the case I will remove the playlists. I don't care about them that much. If things have to be in a playlist to be synced, that is sort of odd because it was syncing everything before and it wasn't in a playlist. Plus that is extremely confusing after looking at the UI and should change if this is the case for d_USBMass1.dll. It certainly doesn't work that way for my ipod.

PS: I will uncheck that though just in case.
If all music is checked, then all music should be synced. The playlists checked would not have an effect on that.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
nrb5

Post by nrb5 »

Ok so after installing the debug version and syncing it pops up with an error:

Code: Select all

Cannot create file "G:\Playlists\Playlist - New Hits (9\5\Playlist - New Hits (9-5-2009).m3u". The system cannot find the path specified.
So it is an issue with a playlist having a \ in it. I am going to tell it to skip the playlists, but it is for sure a mm bug, cause it should be able to handle that by renaming it or something (changing /to - or underscore).

I sent the error report. The debug logger (WMLog.exe). doesn't seem to be doing anything when I run it. It just says:

Code: Select all

Result: 0
Revision: 524288
Hopefully support will email me about the issue and get it fixed. If not let me know if there is any more info here that would help debug it, but it really just seems like a bug in MM.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

As a workaround, why not just remove the \ from your playlists and replace it with a valid character?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

(9\5\Playlist - New Hits (9-5-2009)

in checking the code above i agree with nohitter151 if it is part of the name of the playlist, if it is not part of the name but the folder location then maybe its too many folders in the directory for the handheld to use. :-?
mhendu

Post by mhendu »

This also occurs when setting an Android phone to sync as a Mass Storage Device. I had several playlists set up with a '/' in them and MediaMonkey would sync fine if I sent the playlist to the device with a right mouse click but would never auto-sync properly. This seems to be a bug in the system as once I renamed the playlists auto-sync seems to be working just fine.