MediaMonkey 2.1 RC-1 is here!

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

rusty

MediaMonkey 2.1 RC-1 is here!

Post by rusty »

MediaMonkey 2.1 RC-1 (build 593) is ready for you to play with. The only changes that we're currently aware of that may yet make it into the release relate to the 'Unsynchronized Tags' function. Note that this is a continuation of the 2.0.2 series, we just felt a need to bump it to 2.1 because of the huge number of improvements made. Again, we added a bit more than planned this week--enjoy and keep the feedback coming!

As with any beta, keep in mind that this is pre-release software and may contain a number of bugs, some of which have not yet been discovered. The software is being provided for feedback and testing purposes, and is recommended for use only by advanced users who regularly test pre-release software. If you plan on testing it, take precautions to backup your data to protect against data loss during installation or usage.

What's new in build 593?
  • - Added sort preferences are saved
    - Added warning dialog when attempting to modify/delete files on inaccessible networked folder
    - Added shortcuts for previous/next track in Track Properties dialog
    - Added display currently playing track in bold (in all nodes)
    - Added progress indicator to provide feedback re. tag updates
    - Added much nicer html export script (thanks to Lowlander)
    - Added new bundled autoplaylists (only available on clean install)
    - Added editing of Freedb query results (via Album chooser or /My Computer) and save to cdplayer.ini
    - Fixed automatic Freedb queries overwrite manually edited CD entries
    - Fixed Freedb connection problems when no username/user domain is entered
    - Fixed title.mp3.XXXXX is created if editing tags when title is used by another app (e.g. by Winamp)
    - Fixed CD is added to locations node when ripping CD and leveling volume
    - Fixed cannot rip CD Extra tracks
    - Fixed font size problems on some Win 9x, ME, NT systems
    - Fixed ODBC error for some advanced searches on rating
    - Fixed access violation when attempting to convert a missing file
    - Fixed pressing <enter> on track# field of properties dialog doesn't commit changes
    - Fixed <Ctrl>-<x>, <Ctrl>-<v>, <Ctrl>-<c> don't work for in-place editing in tracklist
    - Fixed taskbar hints don't display '&' properly
    - Fixed usability issues in mass tag editor and file monitor configuration
Download
MediaMonkey 2.1 RC-1: http://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/MediaMonkey_2_1_593.exe

Installation
-Double-click the downloaded file and follow the installation instructions.
Last edited by rusty on Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

For uninstall to access new features: Just use the MM uninstaller or Windows remove programs? Does this delete the DB as well?

Please include filesize in these posts as I always have trouble downloading. I always get a smaller file the first try and this of course doesn't work. I'm dialup BTW.

My assumption is that some of the ini files need to be updated to have the new features. Couldn't there be an overwrite (loss of settings, I know). This might be easier for users. I know this is a beta for advanced users and I don't know what the plans are in this area for the full release.

On the happy note, this looks very promissing and I'm happy to see these changes. As soon as this is actually downloaded will start playing with it and hopefully not returning to the forum with bad news.

Enjoy a good weekend as this seems to be a good piece of work.

Thanks
jiri

Post by jiri »

The note about the necessity to reinstall in order to use new sort preferences got accidentaly there, it isn't necessary and the note was removed.

Jiri
Lowlander

My review

Post by Lowlander »

Nice work! I have the following notes:

- Added sort preferences are saved
Works as expected!

- Added warning dialog when attempting to modify/delete files on inaccessible networked folder
Not very user friendly, ie on update filename error moving file. On retagging file on write protected network drive nothing is mentioned and nothing is changed. Maybe this wasn't the change?

Added shortcuts for previous/next track in Track Properties dialog
Works as expected

Added display currently playing track in bold (in all nodes)
Works and very nice

Added progress indicator to provide feedback re. tag updates
Works, allthough takes a few seconds to start showing

Added much nicer html export script
Works

Added new bundled autoplaylists
Couldn't test due library being in different location than standard MM location. Did check it and seems nice.

Added editing of Freedb query results (via Album chooser or /My Computer) and save to cdplayer.ini
Didn't have Internet connection but after failed freeDB check was able to change tags and changed tags were used during ripping.

Fixed automatic Freedb queries overwrite manually edited CD entries
Correct, no update was done

Fixed CD is added to locations node when ripping CD and leveling volume
Correct no entries added, I was waiting for this one

Fixed pressing <enter> on track# field of properties dialog doesn't commit changes
Correct worked as expected

Fixed <Ctrl>-<x>, <Ctrl>-<v>, <Ctrl>-<c> don't work for in-place editing in tracklist
Works, miss these functions enabled in right click menu

Fixed taskbar hints don't display '&' properly
My thoughts too, to display '&' as 'and'

Error encountered:
Cannot focus a disabled or invisible window error when changing File Monitor settings for monitored folder to not scan at startup or include subfolders

To consider:
Change error message for checking freeDB and amazon when PC is not connected to the internet to show that PC is not connected.
Lowlander

BTW

Post by Lowlander »

This time I tried 5 times to download this beta, all unsuccessful, 2 hours anxiously waiting. I get some part of the file and it says download completed. It does start with saying download size is 3.82mb, but it fails somewhere.
I'm using dialup from Mexico and my guess is that something is wrong on your server side because on other sites I haven't experienced any problems.

I finally got the new beta by having a friend download it and send it to me over the MSN messenger and hopefully we got him hooked on the program too, lol.
Lowlander

How do I get new playlists?

Post by Lowlander »

As my DB is in a different location that is shared I wonder how I can get these playlist updates.

I have two options:
- Update the DB manually, but haven't studied which parts to update.
- Copy the used DB to the normal location. Run 2.1 RC 1 installer. Move DB back to it's network location.

Let me know how I actually should go to work.
Lowlander

Added display currently playing track in bold (in all nodes)

Post by Lowlander »

A possible modification to this could be:

Display track played in different color - Bright red
Display track line background different - Like when you select the track

The problem with bold is that I have some fields like time and bitrate set to a minimal width with bold writing these widths are exeeded and the info is cut off.
The problem with bold only is that it is harder to find the track playing in a list of hundreds of tracks, a background color would aid a lot.

just some thoughts
rusty

Post by rusty »

Re. bold/formatting, we didn't spend much time on this since the longer term goal is to allow the user to specify this formatting. That said, I agree with your point, and it'd make sense to change this if custom formatting isn't going to be available soon.
Last edited by rusty on Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

better

Post by Lowlander »

Better, I'd like to be able to format the look and feel of MM myself, thanks
stutes

Post by stutes »

Just want to second Lowlander's error regarding the cannot focus... I too am getting this error, using 2.1 build 1.596 on XP Home.

Error encountered:
Cannot focus a disabled or invisible window error when changing File Monitor settings for monitored folder to not scan at startup or include subfolders