[1418 - 1421] Window Jittering Issue

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

jtekusa

[1418 - 1421] Window Jittering Issue

Post by jtekusa »

I wanted to bring to your attention that since version 1418 I have noticed severe window jittering when MM4 first starts up or I change to a different media tree item. It also occurs when resizing elements either inside MM or the entire application via corner grippie. I saw this was an issue before but I never personally saw it until recently.

In the event that it may be a video card issue, I am on a laptop using a dual card system - Intel HD Video Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M. The Intel graphics are used for everything but heavy graphics apps (e.g. games). I do have control and can specify that MM use the NVIDIA card as a test. Oh, Windows 7 Ultimate.

The jittering was not noticeable but has gotten worse with the latest version of MM4 - 1421. I am unsure what to provide or what tests I can perform to rule out that it is an issue with MM. As I mentioned before, I had not experienced this issue until recently. I normally delete the previous MM4 version before installing the new one. Last time (1418), I did not. I did not install 1419 or 1420 as I check weekly to see what has been updated. Today, I deleted 1418 per the MM uninstall process.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
Lowlander

Re: [1418 - 1421] Window Jittering Issue

Post by Lowlander »

Do you have custom Collection icons? I seem to have seen some issues with this in the Device Profile tree.
jtekusa

Post by jtekusa »

Lowlander wrote:Do you have custom Collection icons? I seem to have seen some issues with this in the Device Profile tree.
Hello Lowlander!

If I am understanding what you are asking, no I do not have custom collection icons. I use the stock icons that come with applications. I still need to fiddle with my graphic card settings in the NVIDIA control panel - that is where I can control what app's use the Intel or NVIDIA card. I currently have it set to auto and let the NVIDIA software determine which graphics mode is best. It is a nifty program as it helps out greatly when on battery power. I have a 17" laptop and can get around 4 hours when on battery.

I will also try uninstalling and reinstalling MM. Thanks for your reply and good suggestion.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't think you're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about Tools > Options > Media Tree .. Collection > Icon
jtekusa

Post by jtekusa »

Lowlander wrote:I don't think you're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about Tools > Options > Media Tree .. Collection > Icon
Thank you for the clarification as I assumed I was not on the same page.

I went to Tools-Options-Media Tree and some items are checked, some are not, while others have a blue box which as I recall means some but not all features (or whatever is happening) are enabled. What is currently checked/unchecked is whatever was set by MM4 when I start after installing. I checked the blue boxes so they are now check marks and the problem is still there.

I then turned them all off which obviously makes it difficult to navigate so I have the column browser on and am switching via Genre and Artist. The jittering still occurs when I switch from one to the other.

I will do an uninstall/reinstall as a new issue that has cropped up since late afternoon yesterday is MM4 crashes on first launch. Works okay after I terminate the process via the task manager (shows as not responding). I will add that this is the first version of MM4 that has given me this much trouble although I recall Rusty stating that this was truly a developer's version due to the changes made.

I will fiddle around with things and see if I can at least resolve the initial crash issue.

ADDENDUM: Oh, I forgot that I installed the latest version of Winamp Pro (registered user prior to moving to MM) to check something which eludes me at the moment - would Winamp be interfering with MM? I am thinking no but thought I would mention this as the crashing issue started after I installed Winamp.
Pman

Post by Pman »

[quote="jtekusa"It also occurs when resizing elements either inside MM or the entire application via corner grippie. I saw this was an issue before but I never personally saw it until recently.[/quote]

You say it happens for resizing? What happens when it jitters, does images flicker in the skin you use?

If you do, I may have a feeling it's related to my previous bug post http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =6&t=59818 where if you resize MM, images flicker, jitter and take a while to re-adjust. But no one can reproduce this so I hope you have the same thing.
  • W7Ultimate x32 - MM4 - SHABBA!
jtekusa

Post by jtekusa »

Pman2009 wrote:You say it happens for resizing? What happens when it jitters, does images flicker in the skin you use?

If you do, I may have a feeling it's related to my previous bug post http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =6&t=59818 where if you resize MM, images flicker, jitter and take a while to re-adjust. But no one can reproduce this so I hope you have the same thing.
Before I saw your post, I had already deleted and reinstalled MM4 1421 and the jittering issue I am seeing is the info inside the MM4 window stutter with various patches of black - but everything keeps up and settles into place quickly when done. Now, this was not the case prior to the reinstall (along with a registry purge) so I am sorry that I cannot replicate the issue you mentioned in your post.

The jittering I am experiencing is if you change from one media tree item to another, change the skin, or change the view settings via "Show Artwork..." and "Show Column Browser" icons. All aspects of MM4 inside the window jitter for about 10 seconds with the main menu disappearing during this cycle. During this time, any attempt to do anything with MM4 is ignored and a resize typically crashes MM4. As I stated in my original post, this started in 1418 and became more pronounced in 1421 (did not install 1419 or 1420). Minimizing and maximizing MM4 is quick, snappy, and no jittering.

Prior to the reinstall today, switching media tree categories would crash MM4. I am glad that is no longer happening, but the 10 second delay everytime I move around MM4 is disturbing and frustrating. I am not sure if this info helps you or not...
rusty

Post by rusty »

Does build 1424 fix this for you? There was a fix to image resizing that might do the trick...

Please confirm.

-Rusty
jtekusa

Post by jtekusa »

rusty wrote:Does build 1424 fix this for you? There was a fix to image resizing that might do the trick...

Please confirm.

-Rusty
Yes, build 1424 has completely removed all the jittering issues I had reported in this post. Thank you very much, Rusty! :D