Last.fm Playcount Import (2010-03-28) [MM3/4]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Onweerwolf

Re: Last.fm Playcount Import (2010-03-28) [MM3/4]

Post by Onweerwolf »

A quick question, whereas I think this is certainly a cool script I personally have no use for it's current working since I'm 100% sure that each play in last.fm has been accounted for in MM. However not all MM plays have been scrobbled. So what I'd be interested in is a way to tell me how much plays of each track in my library has actually been scrobbled. Would it be possible to alter this script so that it only populates a chosen custom field with the number of playcounts in the last.fm history?

It's a not a big must-have but it sure would be neat, so I thought i'd just mention it here.
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

Onweerwolf wrote:A quick question, whereas I think this is certainly a cool script I personally have no use for it's current working since I'm 100% sure that each play in last.fm has been accounted for in MM. However not all MM plays have been scrobbled. So what I'd be interested in is a way to tell me how much plays of each track in my library has actually been scrobbled. Would it be possible to alter this script so that it only populates a chosen custom field with the number of playcounts in the last.fm history?

It's a not a big must-have but it sure would be neat, so I thought i'd just mention it here.
Should be easy enough - in fact if you're feeling adventurous you can probably make the change yourself - change this line
list.Item(x).PlayCounter = PlayCount
and replace 'PlayCounter' with Custom1 or any other field from here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.php/SDBSongData

Probably easier than me producing a separate version of the script or making an option to do this.

Sorry for those waiting on the previously mentioned update - I've put my effort into porting this to C++ (partially for my own experience) - I've got the XML parsing down, hoping to get some multi-threading happening with the xml feed downloads which should get the script a significant speed boost.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Wow, okay thnx. That should indeed be easy. Just wondering though, the script also has the option to update last played times. Would that still work if I changed the script the way you suggested?

I want to make sure nothing is changed in my database except the one custom field I choose. :wink:
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

Just hit no to the 'update last played times' prompt when you run the script.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Ah check! Thank you!
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Tried it, but it only updated the custom field with the playcount if the actual playcount in last.fm was higher than in mm.
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

Change the line:
If Item.PlayCounter < PlayCount Then 'Increase play count

To
If True Then
NetworkingGuru

Post by NetworkingGuru »

Psyker7, thanks a ton for this script, it was actually one of the reasons I decided to ditch iTunes and move to MM. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work properly, either with the 2.2 version or the 3.0 beta. :(

With the 2.2 version, it appeared to work, but out of 30,000+ last.fm plays, it only updated a handful of files in MM. Furthermore, it didn't seem to be updating last played times. Since I imported playcounts from iTunes originally, I assumed this was because my playcounts were all higher in MM than last.fm, so I removed all music from my library and readded it to reset the playcounts. I then ran 2.2 again and got the same behavior. I theorized that this might be because I had last.fm automatically fix the spelling/names of songs as they were scrobbled, so I disabled that setting and played a bunch of songs today from my phone. They were scrobbled correctly on last.fm, so I ran the script tonight, and it only updated one file - And that was one that I haven't played in days. :-?

So, after this, I downloaded the beta 3.0 script. When I run it, however, it gets to page 100 (out of 779) and throws the following error: Error #500 Microsoft VBScript Runtime Error, Variable is undefined 'TrackListXML'. Then it gives the path to the script and lists the line number (165).

Do you have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

EDIT: Got 2.2 working, but the issue is weird. Apparently, the script only updates playcounts/last played if the track has a non-zero play counter. In my case, nearly everything was zero, but I had (by chance) listened to a song between my last two tests of the 2.2 script, and I noticed that when I ran the script, that one song updated. So, I got a script to increment the play counters by 1, ran it, and now the script is happily updating all of my files.
heartofhate

Post by heartofhate »

how is the work going on? are there any news?

@NetworkingGuru: i've got the same results as you do when i use version 3. i do not have an idea to fix it. when i use the search function for the forum there are only results for autorateaccurate...
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

Fixing version 3 is unlikely something I'll do I'm afraid. Most likely the error is with a last.fm query timing out - I don't really handle that gracefully in the version 3 beta.

I'm taking a quick look at version 2 with the only updating when playcount <> 0 bug right now, I hadn't come across it before.

edit: I am unable to reproduce this bug with MM 4 beta. Tracks with a zero playcount get updated just fine using version 2.2 downloaded from my website.
If you can reproduce it, any chance of PM'ing me with a link to an uploaded MM database so I can look at it further? Thanks!
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Psyker7:

I have a question, I often have tracks on last.fm where I have changed the name in MM and the import no longer recognizes them as the same track, is there a possibility to add some type of functionality to allow the user to select which track should be used to update when a match is not found in MM??

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
NetworkingGuru

Post by NetworkingGuru »

Psyker7 wrote:Fixing version 3 is unlikely something I'll do I'm afraid. Most likely the error is with a last.fm query timing out - I don't really handle that gracefully in the version 3 beta.

I'm taking a quick look at version 2 with the only updating when playcount <> 0 bug right now, I hadn't come across it before.

edit: I am unable to reproduce this bug with MM 4 beta. Tracks with a zero playcount get updated just fine using version 2.2 downloaded from my website.
If you can reproduce it, any chance of PM'ing me with a link to an uploaded MM database so I can look at it further? Thanks!
Thanks for the response Psyker. I can confirm that the <> 0 bug does not exist in MM4. Unfortunately, I upgraded 3 to 4 when I installed, so I don't have a DB with the error any longer. However, it should be reproducible just by installing MM3 and adding some files to blank DB.
jarod73

Post by jarod73 »

is their any other place to d/l this script the webpage will not open
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

Servers up... seems I got ddos'd and my amazon instance ran out of memory.
neonfire999

Post by neonfire999 »

I have 2 songs that seem to report playcounts a lot higher than they are on the site.. Any idea why this might be?