MM4 and M4A

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Nick Smith

MM4 and M4A

Post by Nick Smith »

I've just upgraded my MM4 build 4.0.0.1448 to 4.0.0 1459 and have now lost the ability to play M4A files.
I don't have quicktime installed and never have, I used the AAC/M4A Encoder/Decoder plugin (I think I was on version 1.4) and this appeared to work fine with the build 4.0.0.1448. My old MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304 still works and plays M4A files.

I don't particularly want to install quicktime if I don't have to, I am prepared to purchase and updated AAC/M4A Encoder/Decoder plugin if this would work. I'm aslo prepred to downgrade my MM4 back to 1448 but that is not an ideal situation.

Any help, suggestions or ideas

Thanks
GibsonXXI

Re: MM4 and M4A

Post by GibsonXXI »

Try this page: http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... -plug-ins/

You need the MediaMonkey Codec Pack.
Nick Smith

Post by Nick Smith »

Thank you that worked and I'm all back to normal well as normal as I will ever be.
Strange that this didn't occur with the earlier build and that the AAC/M4A plugig in didn't work on its own.

But that aside - I'm loving the new functionality of MM4 big thanks to all the developers and testers out there
Carl2011

Post by Carl2011 »

I have this same problem (cannot play m4a after upgrading to Media Monkey 4.0) but I am a little confused.
Am I supposed to pay for a codec pack so I can now play what I used to be able to play?

M4a files play using iTunes but I'd not like to revert to that software. Guidance, please.
I am only interested in playback; not conversion and/or encoding.

Windows XP Home.

Thanks! Carl
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Having QuickTime installed should be enough for playback: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=99
Carl2011

Post by Carl2011 »

QuickTime says it is installed, version 7.7.1
And Media Monkey is set up to use AAC files.

Clicking on a m4a file causes the progress indicator to move along sporadically (jerky) and the pause button is generally non-responsive. I usually have to double-click on a non-m4a track to get control back.

I am running build 1461, thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Maybe sending a debug log (step 4b) to support will show why this happens: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
Carl2011

Post by Carl2011 »

Perhaps it will, it has been sent along.
I'd think this is going to be tricky, since it's not affecting a large number of users, else the forum would be flooded.
But, maybe it's one odd switch set incorrectly and it sticks out in the debug file.
Carl2011

Post by Carl2011 »

Casual update: I sent off the debug file and a sample m4a file that was involved in this issue.
Unfortunately I have not heard back, and this could be indicative of my email not being received.
For some reason, staff indicates that "Replies via e-mail often don't reach us!"

I subsequently replied via the suggested eSupport link but could not attach the sample m4a file due to size restrictions.
I'd gladly upgrade to the paid version if this solved the problem, but I have no indication this is so.

Is there a simple rollback procedure to version 3 that would let me see if that exhibits the same problem?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Uninstall MediaMonkey 4 and reinstall MediaMonkey 3: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... id=0&nav=0

You'll need to use an upload service like Hotfiles to upload the file in question and then login to eSupport and post the link to the file with your support ticket.
lobojon

Post by lobojon »

I am having the same problem of MM$ not playing the aac files. I followed the links above, but could not find something that would have me perform an action to solve the problem. I did not understand the Microsoft information as presented regarding this issue...like which one to download and how to feed it to the me monkey.

I have QuickTime and my Winamp plays the files (yes it can convert them too).

Can I not copy some dll or something that my winamp or quicktime is using and dump it in a MM4 folder so that the Monkey can get down for play or convert?

Just wondering.
MM Lifer since 2008. Still apprentice (noob) level.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Toshiba Satellite laptop
Music collection of 2 TB located on an external hard
Spybot Search & Destroy / Iobit Anti Malware
Avast Antivirus Free Edition

I love the Monkey and the forum.
Thanks to all who provide advice, assistance, add ons and scripts. It is very much appreciated!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try reinstalling QuickTime and see if that solves the issue.
lobojon

Post by lobojon »

I uninstalled and reinstalled Quicktime with some laptop restarts in between. No luck
MM Lifer since 2008. Still apprentice (noob) level.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Toshiba Satellite laptop
Music collection of 2 TB located on an external hard
Spybot Search & Destroy / Iobit Anti Malware
Avast Antivirus Free Edition

I love the Monkey and the forum.
Thanks to all who provide advice, assistance, add ons and scripts. It is very much appreciated!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try sending a debug log (step 4b) for the failure of M4A files to play to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
Carl2011

Post by Carl2011 »

Finally, uninstalled Quicktime and installed something I found on a Codec website called Quicktime Alternative.
Everything works just great now.

If for some reason you are having problems with Quicktime playing your .m4a files, give this a shot. It solved my problems.
Thanks to the MM staff for all their help.