MM4 - Can't Drag & Drop from Windows Explorer to Now Playing

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

HankStorm

MM4 - Can't Drag & Drop from Windows Explorer to Now Playing

Post by HankStorm »

In MM3 I was able to drag and drop from Windows Explorer to create an ad hoc playlist (I don't use MM to manage my library). I'm unable to do this in MM4. Is this correct behavior or am I doing something wrong? I've reverted back to MM3 in the meantime as this is a deal breaker for me if this is the expected behavior.

Thanks!
DJSigma

Re: MM4 - Can't Drag & Drop from Windows Explorer to Now Pla

Post by DJSigma »

I know it doesn't solve your problem, but I can drag and drop from Explorer to Now Playing in MM4, no problem. Is there a setting somewhere that prevents this perhaps?

I did have all kinds of issues when upgrading from MM3 to MM4 though. In fact, the software was completely borked. I don't know why it didn't go smoothly, but what I did is backup my database from MM3 along with the ini file that stores the settings, then I uninstalled MM3 and manually removed all leftover folders, rebooted, installed MM4 and all of the issues I had previously disappeared. If you didn't do a clean installation of MM4, you could give that a try.

Can I ask why you don't use MM to manage your library? To me, that's the beauty of the software. For years I had my albums organised into genre folders and I just played them in Winamp via Explorer, but allowing MM to manage your library is far more convenient than that and gives you more options for browsing, sorting, filtering etc. It can be a bit of a ball ache if your music isn't tagged correctly, but it's well worth getting that sorted IMO.
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Hey!

I have the same issue, that I can't drag'n'drop files from Windows' Explorer to MediaMonkey 4.
However, dragging files out of MM to Explorer works just fine.

I use MM to manage my library, but there is some self-recorded stuff and single files from the Internet I just don't want in my library.
These ones I used to drag and drop in my "Now Playing"-List and everything was fine... until MM4 came around :(

I can rule out upgrading-issues since I did a clean install, so all the options are pretty much default.

Is there a solution to this?

BTW: I am running Windows 7 x64.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You should be able to drag & drop from Explorer onto the Now Playing or onto the main Collection nodes: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ibrary/4.0
Seriously

Post by Seriously »

I'm having the same issue, can't drag from anywhere into MM4

Surely this is absolute basic functionality? I cant understand people using it if not!

I'm running Win 7 x64 if that's relevant

When attempting to drag files from Explorer, I instantly get the crossed circle icon, so its not like I'm missing a certain place to drop into (ie a collection or something)

I can't believe that this is correct, but I've scoured the web and whilst I've found others with similar problems, I cant find a resolution

And what is all this click ape nonsense about? I just registered for this forum, why do I need to input a username and ogle monkeys before posting?!
Fierce1979

Post by Fierce1979 »

Seriously wrote: And what is all this click ape nonsense about? I just registered for this forum, why do I need to input a username and ogle monkeys before posting?!
Oh. So I should log in too......
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm not sure if a debug log would help, I also can't reproduce here on both XP and 7.
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Happy new year to everyone!

Maybe it was the year 2011 or maybe that ONE windows-update I was missing... all I can say is that Drag&Drop works now!
So if you are having trouble dragging files to MM4: try updating your Windows and check all the boxes (for me there where 2) the updater left out for no obvious reason.
That might help.
John Gurin

Post by John Gurin »

It does not allow you to drag'n'drop under non-admin account
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Post by Guest »

Win7 x64, MM 4.0.2.1462
Also, when UAC disabled, MM can't start under non-admin.
Mouse cursor blinks with busy state continuosly
donector

Post by donector »

at least copying and pasting outside works..
ramenaholic

Post by ramenaholic »

I also had this problem. When I would try to drag a file from windows explorer to the now playing window, it wouldn't let me. I changed MM to NOT run as administrator and now it will allow me.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Looks like its fixed from what they say on that link nohitter151 posted,
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

The cause of this is when two programs are run with different elevations (ie. one as admin and the other as regular) that you cannot drag and drop between programs. That goes for any 2 programs that you run.

So the solution is to make sure both programs are run with or without admin rights.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.