Google Music

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

cmatte

Re: Google Music

Post by cmatte »

Great to hear that, keep it up :)
Wargazm

Post by Wargazm »

Simon, this is great news. I hope that you make your syncing script open source so people can help out with it, I know I'd like to contribute what I can (I have some experience with Python, and would love to help).

Are you planning to maintain a thread on these forums for people to keep up with updates? I want to be sure I stay on top of any news regarding this.
trortiz2

Post by trortiz2 »

Hey Guys,

Just started using mediamonkey and I love it!!! I use to use itunes and am EXTREMELY happy with what mediamonkey can do. I also love Google Music and have been looking for an easy way for them to work together. I see Simon and others are working on it and that is a good thing. I don't know anything about programming or coding or anything. Just looking for something that will take care of it for me. I would definitely be interested in testing or purchasing a program that can do that. Keep up the great work guys!!
simon_weber

Post by simon_weber »

I hope that you make your syncing script open source so people can help out with it, I know I'd like to contribute what I can (I have some experience with Python, and would love to help).
Yup, it'll be open source and will live here: https://github.com/simon-weber/Mirror-M ... ogle-Music. Contributions welcome! I just changed the license of my api, so the tool will be 3-clause BSD - very unrestrictive.
Are you planning to maintain a thread on these forums for people to keep up with updates?
Anyone can follow the development on GitHub, and once I have something beta worthy, I'll start dropping notes here.

@trortiz2: happy to be filling a need.
simon_weber

Post by simon_weber »

Ok, I've got an initial design up at GitHub. From now on, I'll just post major updates here. It's more straightforward than I thought to make this mediaplayer-agnostic: good news for those (unenlightened) folks who aren't using MediaMonkey.

For anyone who wants to watch more closely or contribute, join me on GitHub!

https://github.com/simon-weber/Mirror-M ... gle-Music/
Wargazm

Post by Wargazm »

fatnastic! I will be following on githubb.
mothra9999

Post by mothra9999 »

Hi Simon,
Holy cow, we need this MM to GM tool so bad! i cant wait for the first release. i am definitely up for testing support but might not be much use beyond that. Following on github as well.
simon_weber

Post by simon_weber »

Hey everyone, glad to the interest =)

Everything is coming along well, though I haven't had as much time to work on this as I hoped. An update: after a minor setback, real time change monitoring now works! So, you should be able to fire up my program when your computer starts, and it'll push out changes as soon as you make them in MM.

There are a lot of edge cases I'm ignoring right now (duplicates, autoplaylists, user conversion of songs, etc), but I should have something to test out shortly.
bhlaws

Post by bhlaws »

I'm new to MediaMonkey and really, really like it so far. I'm also looking to supplement with Google Music (primarily to act as a backup medium). So I am very, very interested in the integration you're working on. I'll grab the unofficial/beta version; I'm in IT and have done programming, so maybe I might be able to help with testing.
simon_weber

Post by simon_weber »

bhlaws: Great! I'll be sure to let you know when I've got something to test.

A quick warning about using Google Music as a backup: it won't preserve the exact data you send to it. High-quality files will be transcoded to 320k abr mp3s, and obscure metadata fields may be lost. I've been meaning to write up a blog post about this, since I've seen a couple of people get bitten by it.
Wargazm

Post by Wargazm »

I have a question: I have two copies of my music collection, one on my home server and one on my laptop. I do all of my organizing with MM on my laptop, and then push changes to the server. The actual upload to google music is handled by the server. Can I install the syncing program on my laptop, since that's where the MM DB lies, or does the syncing program require that the MM DB and the Google Music Uploader program reside on the same machine?
simon_weber

Post by simon_weber »

Wargazm: If I understand correctly, yes. There will be no dependency on Google's Music Manager for uploading or pushing changes.
bwt1973

Post by bwt1973 »

I am also highly interested in this project, but alas I can offer no coding assistance. I would be happy to test when ready, though.
MPG

Post by MPG »

Google Music is only available to residents of the United States. Useless for us Canadians. :( :evil:
TIA
MPG
Triumph - Hold On: Music holds the secret, to know it can make you whole.
simon_weber

Post by simon_weber »

Hey all; sorry for being quiet lately. The end of the semester is always hectic, so I didn't have a lot of time to put into this until recently.

But, I do have some good news! For those who haven't been following along on GitHub, here's an update: I've got the basic syncing working - even in real time with MediaMonkey running (!). Currently, Google Music successfully receives the following: song add/metadata edit/remove and playlist create/delete/name change/contents change (ie song add/remove/reorder).

It's rough around the edges, and not quite ready for real testing, but it works!