MediaMonkey COM Elevator issue since upgrade [#9306]

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

CitizenDee

MediaMonkey COM Elevator issue since upgrade [#9306]

Post by CitizenDee »

Just upgraded to the latest version of v4 and now whenever I start MM I get a UAC window asking if I want MediaMonkey COM Elevator to make changes to the computer. Problem is MM and this window freezes so I can't actually choose Yes or No. Dead in the water. The only way to get rid of the dialog box (which is modal) is to use Program Explorer to kill the MM process. What is going on? Has the upgrade broken my MM install????
(Windows 7 64 bit running previous version fine)
telinadgray

Re: MediaMonkey COM Elevator issue since upgrade

Post by telinadgray »

I'm seeing this too. Although it doesn't lock MM up, I can't say "No". It will just keep throwing the dialog box up, and I see this EVERY time I launch MM. This appeared in 4.0.3.1476. I'm also running Win7 64-bit.
miki4000

Post by miki4000 »

Check under Tools - options - os integration that re-associate File Types is unchecked.
--
baard
CitizenDee

Post by CitizenDee »

miki4000 wrote:Check under Tools - options - os integration that re-associate File Types is unchecked.
I can't. This is happening as soon as I launch MM and it locks focus and freezes MM meaning I can't do anything.

EDIT - This was solved by running MM as administrator (right click on icon, choose Run As Admin). Without changing any other MM options I quit and ran it as a normal user and there doesn't seem to be any further issues. Will report back if there is.
Hefaistos1

Post by Hefaistos1 »

Same problem here, Windows 7 32bit. Quite annoying as there is no way to interact with the app anymore. Only killing it.
CitizenDee

Post by CitizenDee »

The issue for me was dodgy Apple plugins. Delete the iPod DLL's in C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey\Plugins and try again (run as administrator to clear the COM message assuming the plugins trick let's you access that dialog again).

Cheers,
D

Post by Guest »

I have to click that thing 4 or 5 times before it will go away...it looks like all is it trying to do is re-associate file types, just follow do this person indicates and things shold be just fine...miki4000 wrote:
Check under Tools - options - os integration that re-associate File Types is unchecked.

Re: MediaMonkey COM Elevator issue since upgrade [#9306]

Post by guest »

Have Windows 7 32 bit enterprise, mm v 4.0.3.1476. Have not made other changes to mm for some time. Today, sophos reports mm com elevator wants to access the network. If the app does not explain to me why it wants to access the network I say no, only as others have reported, I can't say no. As another suggested, I ran mm as administrator, deleted the apple dlls (no apple devices in this house) but no luck. So, following another suggestion, tools, options, os integration, I had no file associations checked. Once I checked a single one of them, the message went away, and no longer blocked mm from opening normally. Irritating. I post this as guest as I cannot remember my mm login.
Luna

Post by Luna »

I unchecked the "Re-association File types" Under the OS integration and that fixed the problem. Thank you guys for all the help! :)

Post by Guest »

I could not get it to work this way to remove the UAC prompt. I had unchecked all of the OS integration stuff but was still getting the prompt when launched. I finally solved it by removing the "run this program as an administrator" check box on the media monkeys program properties. I had tried this setting a few versions ago when UAC prompts started up and had just left it checked until I saw this thread and tried the solution posted above. Resetting that check box cleared up the UAC prompt, although I still had to uncheck the OS Integration check box still.
jsibley

Post by jsibley »

I am running 4.06.1501. I have removed the ipod dll.

I still get notices from Windows 7 about com elevator unless I run in administrator mode.

So, I'm curious about why I'm getting the notices and what I'm supposed to do about it. Am I supposed to remember to run in administrator mode from now on?

Thanks.
jsibley

Post by jsibley »

It has been almost a week without a response. I have a paid, gold membership. Is there somewhere else I should be posting to get a response to a technical problem?

Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you
Luna wrote:I unchecked the "Re-association File types" Under the OS integration and that fixed the problem.
jsibley

Post by jsibley »

It is already unchecked.
touriga

Post by touriga »

What is happening about this?? I see no responses from MM staff, although I note that this has been logged as Priority: "urgent" and Severity: "major" in their issue system [#9306]. Last update on this issue was 9th July.
I have been unable to use MM since the updgrade. I get the com elevator message continually and not even one at a time. After selecting OK a few times it suddenly spawns multiple requests continually faster than I can click them away. THe only anwser is Task Manager kill. And even then trying to kill the processes faster than they appera is a challenge.
I have tried the solutions in this thread. "Re-associate file types on startup" was unchecked already.
Starting MM in Administrator mode works, but do I really want to run in this mode. THis seems to me to be a particularly dangerous workaround: There's a bug in MM where it is trying to do stuff that requires elevated permissions. THe solution shou NOT be just to give it the elevated permissions permanently so that it no longer asks for your consent!!!
When will this be fixed???