Artist is also sorting by Album Artist

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

bobthegoat2001

Artist is also sorting by Album Artist

Post by bobthegoat2001 »

Even though I'm sorting by Artists, it seems to also be sorting by Album Artists, when I want the albums with various artists to be with the various artists. The albums that have various artists, I put "Various Artists" in the Artist tag and the actual artist in the Album Artist.

I can't seem to figure out why it's doing this. I included an image to show you what I mean.

Lowlander

Re: Artist is also sorting by Album Artist

Post by Lowlander »

Most sorts have additional column sorts. You can override this by holding down the CTRL key, select the Album column to sort on and release the CTRL key.
bobthegoat2001 wrote: I put "Various Artists" in the Artist tag and the actual artist in the Album Artist.
This is 'wrong' as MediaMonkey uses Album and Album Artist to define what's an album. Thus it should be in reverse.
bobthegoat2001

Post by bobthegoat2001 »

Ok, since most apps organize by the Artist tag (Android mp3 player apps, Amazon Cloud, Mecanto, Google Music, etc.) I was hoping to be able to organize it this way. I guess I'm going to have to figure out another way of organizing it.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can organize that, but the price is that MediaMonkey won't recognize Albums correctly (each different Album Artist value would create a new Album entry in the Album tree node.
mjkassoc

Post by mjkassoc »

I am not really getting this string but it seems to be related to my problem. Is there a way to sort by artist (primary) and album (secondary) so the list is sorted by artist and the albums for each artist are sorted alphabetically? My artists are tagged last name first. I accomplished the sort I want by prefixing the album title with artist last name but the result was an album title too long for Sonos control. I couldn't tell one album from another in some cases.
mjkassoc

Post by mjkassoc »

Problem solved. A typo omitted a space after a comma in some instances, resulting in a different sort.