Sync back ratings & play counts (MSC) v1.9.3 2013-12-03

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Aff

Re: Sync back ratings & play counts (MSC) v1.3 2012-02-19

Post by Aff »

There is no expected drive letter. It can be defined when you configure d_USBMass*.dll.
Sorry if I don't understand your question, please explain in more detail if this answer isn't what you need.
RubenRybnik

Post by RubenRybnik »

This is great, just sold my last piece of Apple hardware, and hoping this helps get rid of iTunes, then I'll be 100% Android set :) Thanks for the great work!
natelabo

Post by natelabo »

Any word on when the play counter increase will be added. This is the only function I need. I didn't realize that this script did not have it when I purchased PlayerPro... :( Thanks!
Aff

Post by Aff »

Unhappily there is no way to incrementally increase the play counter without any risk of double counts. The reasons are that it isn't possible for scripts to hook into the auto-sync event and that the script has no control over PlayerPro statistics.
It would need some amount of coding to reduce the risk, including a statistics table of its own.

I think the most important information is, if a song was ever played or not. That's no problem for the script.

To make things clearer, just imagine a simple solution: "Increase play counter in MM by play count in PlayerPro".
This only works if 1. play counter in PlayerPro is deleted with an auto-sync and 2. SyncBackRatings is only run once between two auto-syncs. Otherwise the counter would be doubled with every sync back.
The first would need the delete option in auto-sync, but I haven't tested and I have no answer on the handling of the statistics by the developer of PlayerPro yet.
The latter would be some restriction for the user.

If you've got any better idea or have some time for testing you're very welcome.
PhilDG

Post by PhilDG »

Unfortunately, the playcount issue is a bit of a issue for me so this script is a no-go for me.

The only way I've found so far to update the playcount is to sync into iTunes and then use iSyncr to sync to your Android device. This seems a really daft way round and surely there must be a way to directly sync those playcounts. I don't mean to trivialise it but somehow iSyncr can do it between Android and iTunes. Having said that, I don't know how they have done it.

Does anyone have any better way of doing this? I would have thought MM should do this out of the box. We're all trying to get rid of Apple kit (iTunes etc.) so why does all of the effort go into syncing ipods and iphones?
MarkODD

Post by MarkODD »

My ratings are no longer syncing back to Mediamonkey. It used to work but I have recently upgraded to Mediamonkey 4 and I have added a micro SD Card to my Samsung Galaxy S II. My music is on the SD Card. I'm not sure which event created the problems.

Here is what happens;

I can see in the XML file that the ratings changes are there. Perform syncback and only the playcount changes are recognised and updated.

Here is another weird thing that happens;

There is 7GB free on the SD Card and about 8GB of music. Every time I do an autosync it says there is not enough room on the SD Card and it re-copies the entire 8GB over again. This even happens if I do nothing but disconnect the phone, reconnect it without making any changes to the playlist and autosync again. It takes about twenty minutes each time.

Any idea what is happening here?
Aff

Post by Aff »

It seems that the drive letter isn't correct anymore.
You have to make sure that either the USB Device ID or the drive letter points to the SD card where your music is stored (Configure, Device Profile, Options).

If this doesn't help, install SyncBackRatings_Debug.mmip which creates a SyncBackRatings.log file in your temporary directory (usually C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Temp). You can start SyncBackRatings again and send me a PM with the content of the log file.
MarkODD

Post by MarkODD »

Thanks Aff. It works now.

I had already tried that and got an error message. "Music node 'external_sd' not found'. It seems that even though I had changed the 'destination to sync music files to' it hadn't updated properly in the device profile.

I am still having trouble with autosync but I guess that is nothing to do with your script. A bit of a search has shown other people with sd cards (different devices though) are also having problems;

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... nc#p340078

It might be a Mediamonkey bug???
FlickTheBean

Post by FlickTheBean »

Is there a way to import my MM music stats (mainly play counts and last play dates) into PlayerPro?

When I "Sync Back Ratings" it proceeds to reset all playcounts to 0 and only count the songs that were played on the phone. I would like it to keep track of how many times a song has been played and just add to the play count. So is there a way to import my stats so PlayerPro knows what my play counts are in MM?
Aff

Post by Aff »

There is a script you could try: Export to iTunes library.xml. Maybe Player Pro would be able to import from this and export to songbird format. I haven't tried that yet.

As scripts can't really interact with auto-sync, an export from MM to Player Pro would have to be started manually on both sides. I could add a function to my script to create an XML from the last auto-sync that could be imported in Player Pro. I'll have a look at it if there is some spare time.
FlickTheBean

Post by FlickTheBean »

Thanks for the response Aff. I will try the script and let you know if it works.
misplacedamerican

Post by misplacedamerican »

Aff wrote:There is no expected drive letter. It can be defined when you configure d_USBMass*.dll.
Sorry if I don't understand your question, please explain in more detail if this answer isn't what you need.
Aff,

What I mean is that the sync doesn't always process the XML file after changing the song ratings.

When the scan occurs, I see that it is recognising the ratings on the device (I see the star ratings) but it gives me an error that there is nothing to sync such as "Sync Back Ratings: no statistics file found \PlayerPro\Stats\exported_*_songbird.xml on drive(s)...".

When looking on the phone I see the following file in the PlayerPro/Stats/ directory "exported_Mon_Aug_13_094905_Songbird.xml" (I haven't played the song on the PC, guaranteed)

I have tried syncing with a USB cable, Samba file sync and the actual micro-SD directly into the PC and get the same results and for all 3 variations, I have copied the PlayerPro/Stats/xml file from the internal SD to the micro-SD card where the music resides and is synced.

So if I manually copy the xml file from the phone to c:\music for instance and your script would be configurable to pick that up then I hope that I wouldn't get the errors I am receiving. Alternatively and probably preferably, is there a way to pick up the XML file from the configured location and overwrite the song rating information either without checking or with a confirmation per song similar to "Confirm deletion (recommended)" from device in Auto sync in Device Profile?
misplacedamerican

Post by misplacedamerican »

FlickTheBean wrote:Thanks for the response Aff. I will try the script and let you know if it works.
Did that work for you?

Alternatively Aff, can you just append the playcount result vs. overwrite it?

Thanks
Aff

Post by Aff »

misplacedamerican wrote:error that there is nothing to sync such as "Sync Back Ratings: no statistics file found \PlayerPro\Stats\exported_*_songbird.xml on drive(s)..."
Were there any drives listed in the error message? Only removable devices are scanned, and they have to be ready.

Please install SyncBackRatings_Debug.mmip which creates a SyncBackRatings.log file in your temporary directory (usually C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Temp). You can start SyncBackRatings again and send me a PM with the content of the log file.
Aff

Post by Aff »

misplacedamerican wrote:Alternatively Aff, can you just append the playcount result vs. overwrite it?
That would most probably lead to double counts. There is no explicit option to delete the stats in Player Pro, as far as I know. You would have to reset the XML values manually and reimport after a sync back.