Sync back ratings & play counts (MSC) v1.9.3 2013-12-03

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Aff

Re: Sync back ratings & play counts (MSC) v1.3 2012-02-19

Post by Aff »

I've created a test version where a copy of the XML is written with updated statistics. This can be imported in Player Pro.
  1. Export statistics as usual
  2. Sync Back Ratings as usual
  3. In Player Pro, Import music stats, External library
  4. After an auto-sync do the steps above first, before playing any music!
Now you can start with your MM play and skip counts in Player Pro.
Please keep in mind that the update logic stays the same, so if you increase a play count in MM the same or higher than in Player Pro, it won't be synced back.

Please install SyncBackRatings_Beta.mmip - I'm looking forward to your feedback.

A next step could be to add the difference from the last auto-sync to the value in MM (and update the auto-sync table accordingly to avoid double counts). I could have a look at it if I have some more spare time.
MarkODD

Post by MarkODD »

Hi Aff

I followed the steps listed above but I get a message 'No music stats to import'

I checked the last exported stats file and there were no updated statistics.

Just to clarify, after '2. Sync Back Ratings as usual' you have to disconnect from USB mode before '3. In Player Pro, Import music stats, External library'

Right?
Aff

Post by Aff »

Please check if there is a file "import.xml" at the same place as Player Pro's exported file.
MarkODD

Post by MarkODD »

No. There is no file in that location.

At what stage of the process should this file be created?

Due to problems I have been experiencing auto-syncing to the external SD card on my Galaxy s2 I have to delete all my music before syncing, otherwise only a portion of the sync list gets copied over. Maybe this is causing a problem for the script.
Aff

Post by Aff »

Should be no problem. The file would be created after processing the export file.

You could try to play a song on your phone that wasn't played before (play count 0 in MM), then export from player pro. Check if it is in the export file. Then sync back, the song should be shown in the list and in the import file afterward.

Did sync back work with the previous version (1.3)?
MarkODD

Post by MarkODD »

OK it works. My mistake. I thought it was a self extracting file. After copying the VBS script to the scripts\auto folder the Import file is being created and I can now import the stats.

Thanks Aff.
Aff

Post by Aff »

MarkODD wrote:I thought it was a self extracting file.
What do you mean with self extracting?
BTW I had forgotten to raise the version number in the install.ini, but this shouldn't have caused MM not to update the script when installing the MMIP.

@FlickTheBean, PhilDG and others: have you already been able to test the beta version as well?
MarkODD

Post by MarkODD »

I found this in the MediaMonkey Support Center under "How to Install Extensions ( Addons )";

"- if you downloaded an .mmip file, but it saves on your PC as a .zip file, then rename the
extension back to .mmip"

This is what was happening to me. Then when I opened the zip file there was nothing excecutable so I had to manually copy the script over. Once I renamed the downloaded file's extension back to .mmip I could just double click on it and it installed automatically.

By the way Aff I like your idea of

"A next step could be to add the difference from the last auto-sync to the value in MM (and update the auto-sync table accordingly to avoid double counts). I could have a look at it if I have some more spare time."
NigriStriata

Post by NigriStriata »

The new Samsung Galaxy S3 only supports USB MTP mode.
There's no possibility to enable USB mass storage if the device isn't rooted.
:cry:
Aff

Post by Aff »

It's a very unfortunate design decision by Google/Samsung, because their MTP support still is very poor (no ratings etc., slow) and MTP can neither be accessed by vbScript nor from the command line.
Users should inform Google/Samsung that either USB mode is still needed or MTP would have to be improved drastically.

The alternative to rooting is to use the external sd card directly with a PC.

Another possibility would be to sync via MTP and manually ex-/import ratings and statistics files from Player Pro, i.e. copy the XML file manually from the phone to the PC and back. A special script would be needed (some variant of SyncBackRatings) for this.

Re: Sync back ratings from portable device (MSC) v0.7 2011-0

Post by Guest »

wtanksleyjr wrote:I'm working on a project that has a bit of overlap; I've written a Python script that builds a playlist using podcasts and music. Naturally, it's very important to me whether a given episode has been listened to, since I don't want to include already-heard podcasts in my playlist.
-Wm
This is exactly what I am looking for too and this script holds out a lot of hope for me! My device doesn't support ratings, so play counts is my thing. Is there any way that I can change the script to scan the Podcasts rather than the music folder?? My knowledge of vbs is just about zero I'm afraid!
woodworm

Re: Sync back ratings from portable device (MSC) v0.7 2011-0

Post by woodworm »

Guest wrote:
wtanksleyjr wrote:I'm working on a project that has a bit of overlap; I've written a Python script that builds a playlist using podcasts and music. Naturally, it's very important to me whether a given episode has been listened to, since I don't want to include already-heard podcasts in my playlist.
-Wm
This is exactly what I am looking for too and this script holds out a lot of hope for me! My device doesn't support ratings, so play counts is my thing. Is there any way that I can change the script to scan the Podcasts rather than the music folder?? My knowledge of vbs is just about zero I'm afraid!
Sorry - didn't realise I wasn't logged in :-( And I am using v1.5
Aff

Re: Sync back ratings & play counts (MSC) v1.5 2012-09-02

Post by Aff »

Normally your podcasts would be located in a subfolder of \music\ on the device, then it should work out of the box for ratings and PlayerPro stats.

What kind of device do you have? To sync stats, you would need an XML file in the Songbird RatingFile AddOn format (SRF) at least.
woodworm

Post by woodworm »

Aff wrote:Normally your podcasts would be located in a subfolder of \music\ on the device, then it should work out of the box for ratings and PlayerPro stats.

What kind of device do you have? To sync stats, you would need an XML file in the Songbird RatingFile AddOn format (SRF) at least.
Yes, the podcasts are in a subfolder of music. But my player (a creative m300) doesn't seem to produce an SRF file :-(

Thanks for your help!
Aff

Post by Aff »

As it seems the Creative m300 doesn't have ratings and play count at all.