Linux.... mediamonkey.... meant to be..?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Would you use mediamonkey on ubuntu?

You may select 1 option

View results

nomeansno

Re: Ubuntu.... mediamonkey.... meant to be..?

Post by nomeansno »

Hi,

I just want to share something that made me really happy today regarding MM, ubuntu 11.04 and wine..

I never posted here, i'm new to Linux and I missed MM so much that i tried to run it using wine.....helped from here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ediaMonkey

It worked well but i had problems with the auto-tag from the web thing... I couldn't choose what I wanted to add to the tag = you know the little white squares... I'm french speaking :). Since its what i really missed from MM I was desperate. So, I just wanted to say that using Winetricks, I installed IE6 and..........bingo!

That's it......just hope it will help someone

:)
markstuartwalker

Post by markstuartwalker »

You migth like to look at some of the progress here http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... &start=999
Windows 7,8 / Ubuntu 13.10 / Mavericks 10.9 / iOS 7.1 / iTunes 11.1
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507
Friedrich

MM4 on Archlinux

Post by Friedrich »

nomeansno wrote:Hi, I just want to share something that made me really happy today regarding MM
I tried the installation* with MM4 (1415) and it seems to install easier than MM3.
Here is how it works for me:
1. Install wine & winetricks
2. Install wmp9 and ie6 with winetricks: "winetricks wmp9" and "winetricks ie6" (wmp9-installation produced an error; ignore and proceed)
3. Download or copy the MM4-Setup file to some place in your Linux-Installation (Desktop for example). (Installing from a NTFS partition did not work for me)
4. Execute the setup-file with the wine program starter
5. Start MM "MediaMonkey (non-skinned).exe" or "MediaMonkey.exe"** directly from your "/.wine/drive_c/Programs/MediaMonkey" directory. (starting from the wine menu does not work; at least for me)
6. The "waveOut outputv2.0.2a" as well as "MM Directsound" Output-Plugins works.

What does not work:
- Installing Extensions from mmip-file
- tagging of videos works, but I haven't tried yet to find a way to make MM4 play videos

*on Archlinux
** non-skinned is much more responsive; at least on my old hardware
MM5 (2606)and MM4 (1919) installed and running well on:
Debian 11 KDE, EndeavourOS KDE (wine 7.4 via playonlinux), Win10 64bit
markstuartwalker

Post by markstuartwalker »

Yes, I have tried MM4 as well and been very pleased. My efforts have been focussed for OS X however. Checkout the screen shot at the end of:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... &start=999

I agree that the non-skinned version is much faster.

Also, the MMIP files can be added by one of my posts in the other thread ..
markstuartwalker wrote:Is anyone else having trouble with getting MMIP files to load under wine? The unfortunate fact is that MM installs addons via an MMIP file type. This doesn't work well under wine becasue the file path supplied to the executable is in a Unix format.

The answer is to use a utility called winepath. This can convert from a Unix path into an equivalent Windows path suitable for a wine installation. All you need do is create an intermeadiate bash script file to launch your MM. As I launch my MM with some non-default command line options I have one of these already so I just appended a bit on the end of the command.

Code: Select all

wine ~/.wine/dosdevices/c\:/Program\ Files/MediaMonkey/MediaMonkey\ \(non-skinned\).exe \/NoSplash \/INIFILE=J:\\mmdb\\MediaMonkey.ini $(winepath -w $1)
Windows 7,8 / Ubuntu 13.10 / Mavericks 10.9 / iOS 7.1 / iTunes 11.1
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507
veganmark

Post by veganmark »

I see MM just came out with a new version. How ironic that I purchased a Gold license, which is a lifetime license and now MM is asking for more money and telling me that in order to be current I must purchase a V4 license to keep my gold license active.

Well MM, I'm not upgrading until you release a version that is compatible with linux os. You've been promising to do this for awhile now. Well, it's time for me to put my money where my mouth is. I love mm but the only person who's using right now is my mum. Why is that? Because it doesn't work on a linux box, which is what I'm running. So, if you want my business then release a version that is compatible with linux and I'll gladly upgrade.
Mark G.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You don't need to pay more if you have a Lifetime license. MediaMonkey 4 is a free upgrade for lifetime license holders.
veganmark

Post by veganmark »

Noo, I got a message telling me that I had a gold licence but in order to upgrade to version 4 I'd have to pay. Check your email. You most certainly do have to pay. Media Monkey's getting greedy.
Mark G.
veganmark

Post by veganmark »

Lowlander wrote:You don't need to pay more if you have a Lifetime license. MediaMonkey 4 is a free upgrade for lifetime license holders.
Hmm, I checked my old email purchase and it says I have a gold lifetime license. That said, why am I getting an upgrade coupon from MM? I'll try to upgrade but if it doesn't work I'm rolling back immediately. I will not give MM one more cent until that satisfy there Linux customers.
Mark G.
wkln

Post by wkln »

I received a message that I needed to pay for an upgrade even though I have a Gold Premium license. I thought with that license future upgrades were lifetime free. Could not find original message stating that so payed for the upgrade. What is the deal?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

wkln wrote:I received a message that I needed to pay for an upgrade even though I have a Gold Premium license
Lowlander wrote:You don't need to pay more if you have a Lifetime license. MediaMonkey 4 is a free upgrade for lifetime license holders.
veganmark

Post by veganmark »

Contact MM Support and inform them of their faux pas. I think a lot of people have been confused by their message. They should issue you an immediate credit.

wkln wrote:I received a message that I needed to pay for an upgrade even though I have a Gold Premium license. I thought with that license future upgrades were lifetime free. Could not find original message stating that so payed for the upgrade. What is the deal?
Mark G.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The discount coupon is also valid on the MediaMonkey Codec Pack: http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... odec-pack/
Drewbie

Post by Drewbie »

i just thought to throw it out there that Clementine can effectively keep up with mm's power in linux ...
I just switched to 12.0 beause ...well finally everything except ole flash player works as it should....
anyway after using banshee, amarok, rhythm box, audacious , guyadeque , picard ....etc never tried exaile
but Clementine once configured scans a large lib quick and then you can set your masks for organize
not so sure if its auto at startup like mm or if u have to select tracks to update maunally but with the
information panels built in lyrics quick search high customization raw power and streamlined good looks
Clementine you can be mine
Just thought to let you all know that you shouldnt fear losing mm as we move to linux

***MM will likely never see Linux (well stabely anyway) and we ahould all abandon that hope and instead see how we might extend all the great sexy power in MM to other players in other platforms ...how did they do what and how can it be incorporated into your favorite player is the real issue ....
altmail15

Post by altmail15 »

hi guys!
This is my first post here! I guess anyway.
I've been using MM since the very beguining and I've know Linux for about...13 years or so. I keep always an eye on software that has the potential to be great but trully great, I don't usually miss. I've also been using Google since 1998, also their very beguining.
I now use 100% freeware lifestyle and still do buy goodies, attend events and donate to my beloved softwares.

So whats the point of all this?

MM is great and I will buy gold edition or whatever you guys have as a lifetime guarantee IF and that is non negotiable, just IF you guys make this UBUNTU COMPATIBLE.

Things have come to the point where they are top quality, top reliability and top performance on the freeware world.
As of now! yes, October 2012 Ubuntu, Clementine, Fast Stone (great software migrating to Ubuntu someday I hope), Blender, Gimp and also new arrival, Lightworks (top notch professional video editor), Blender, Gimp and Steam on Linux and so on.......this all exists and its free if not open source.

WHY AREN'T YOU GUYS ON LINUX ALREADY? ANY GOOD REASON?

MM needs a comunity of beta testers and forum people right? So why don't you give people something they really need.

Linux market share is growing and now in not under 5% at any moment. Even Dell and other big name companies sell Linux based systems.
If I don't see progress in this matter within one year I'll be dropping the use of MM on about 10 computers I manage.
bobthegoat2001

Post by bobthegoat2001 »

It looks like I'm in the minority here (or is it just that Ubuntu people view this post more), but the developers here at Mediamonkey is pretty small, which leaves them with limited programming resources. I'd rather see them focus on fixing bugs and improving the current version on Windows. It seems like right now it takes them some time to release updates and bug fixes (and adding people's wishlists) as it is now. I wouldn't want them distracted by creating a completely new version of Mediamonkey for Linux (or Mac) when there's a lot they could be doing to the Windows version.

I don't want to sound like an a*s, but that's the downside of switching to Linux or Mac's. It's probably why I'll never switch to something different. I've already spent so much money in Windows software (Adobe's Master Collection CS5.5 being one of them). I'm a Mediamonkey Gold owner too.