MM affecting 'Date modified' in Windows File Explorer

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

GzyOnline

MM affecting 'Date modified' in Windows File Explorer

Post by GzyOnline »

I recently upgraded to Windows 8 Pro x64.. for the most part I have been using MM 4.0.7.1511 without noticing any issues; just recently I upgraded to MM 4.1.0.1619..

I (have always) keep &organize my very large Music Library manually using Windows Explorer (File Explorer), and particularly by 'Date modified'.. for the past few days I've noticed that each time I open a folder (music album) something gets modified because the folder's 'Date modified' changes to the current date, and thus kicking my album downloads out of chronological order..

I have always installed MM and consciously set the 'Player' & 'Library' settings under MM's Options and only had this issue with previous versions when I allowed MM to auto-update files/properties during it's file scanning-ever since then (years ago) I no longer keep this option checked.. with that said, i have tried to go in and uncheck all but a few options and am still having the issue.. I have been able to narrow this issue down to being directly related to MM: I uninstalled MM and the problem stopped, I changed from MM monitoring my entire collection to just one folder containing a handful of sub-folders and it only affected that one folder and not the other folders...

I will uninstall MM 4.1.0.1619 and see if having previous MM versions installed will fix my issue..
Thanks for reading! :-?
Lowlander

Re: MM affecting 'Date modified' in Windows File Explorer

Post by Lowlander »

I just tried an Add/Rescan Files and Date Modified wasn't modified.

Do you run Startup Monitoring (and does it seem to cause the date change) or just continuous monitoring (which shouldn't do anything with the files unless they're being modified/moved).
GzyOnline

Post by GzyOnline »

Lowlander wrote:I just tried an Add/Rescan Files and Date Modified wasn't modified.

Do you run Startup Monitoring (and does it seem to cause the date change) or just continuous monitoring (which shouldn't do anything with the files unless they're being modified/moved).
i have both 'Scan continuously' and 'Scan at startup' selected..

So, I went as far back as MM 4.0.6.1501 and am still having this issue.. as I said before, it happens when I open a folder in (Windows)File Explorer..

Maybe a video will better illustrate this issue (although I foresee it be lengthy-editing will be crucial).. I will try to record one and share.. Any recommendations on software that can record desktop activity as a video?
Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

So you're saying with Folder Monitoring enabled the opening of the folder in Windows Explorer causes the date modified change? In other words it isn't the start of MediaMonkey or any file modifications in monitored folders? Can you detail about your file storage (local, external, network, NAS, backup solutions, etc.)?

So far I can't reproduce that. A debug log (step 4b) may show why you do see this (send it to support): http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341
GzyOnline

Post by GzyOnline »

Lowlander wrote:So you're saying with Folder Monitoring enabled the opening of the folder in Windows Explorer causes the date modified change? In other words it isn't the start of MediaMonkey or any file modifications in monitored folders? Can you detail about your file storage (local, external, network, NAS, backup solutions, etc.)?

So far I can't reproduce that. A debug log (step 4b) may show why you do see this (send it to support): http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341
HDD's are all local.. So, I uninstalled MM completely and went through my test (opening up one folder at a time, then backing out to see if the folder jumped to the top of the list as the most recently modified folder) and sure enough I had some folders whose 'Date modified' were updated to the current date..

i found this article on Microsoft's website (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 99878eefca) where someone else reported the same issue (albeit in 2010!)..

So, I just re-installed Windows completely.. I've installed MM first thing.. So far it's working without any issue.. i'll be testing it vigorously to see if my issue comes back..

Thanks for your attention and efforts, Lowlander!~I appreciate it. :wink:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I wonder if the view mode in Windows Explorer or Previews panel could be the source.
GzyOnline

Post by GzyOnline »

Lowlander wrote:I wonder if the view mode in Windows Explorer or Previews panel could be the source.
I thought the same thing.. I actually suspected the 'Preview pane' view mode/settings to be the culprit before I considered MM.. But I couldn't make any adjustments to stop the issue..

I installed 'libusb-win32' to run iRecovery for an iPhone restore issues I was having.. libusb-win32 is not compatible with Windows 8, I even lost ability to use my usb keyboard &mouse after a restart.. I used Win8 repair/recovery to restore my system to a point before that installation, I'm wondering if my 'Date modified' issue had something to do with that whole scenario.. ~well, i'm glad it's working fine now after a fresh OS install! *fingers crossed*.. lol
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I have just seen this thread and noticed that you are on windows 8. We have just down graded a couple of machines because of things ike this happening in Windows 8 but not seen in windows 7. Could this be part of your problem? Have you seen this same thing in windows 7?
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
GzyOnline

Post by GzyOnline »

Had another issue where Windows 8 was giving me a headache when I was trying to rename folders.. after searching I just found this post:
[http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 07113ae47/]
I applied the Group Policy Editor FIX suggested and it seems like it has even greater benefits!... Although it's only been a few hours since I applied the FIX, I haven't experienced any auto-date modified update issues.. I will continue to monitor my situation closely... :-D