Library Auto Organize Issues

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

abharkl

Library Auto Organize Issues

Post by abharkl »

Why is this thing still at this stage over version 4 development still taking all my music and marking it unknown when i was previously tagged in MM3 with no issue. I had to re-install my machine and was noticing it doing this. Luckily i keep a duplicate of my Music on a external drive so i can undo all the mistakes but I dont understand why its doing this at all.
rovingcowboy

Re: Library Auto Organize Issues

Post by rovingcowboy »

More info and i might be able to help or look in the helpful messages post of mine in y signature to see if there is any thing close to answering your issue or that answers it, 8)
But i am thinking you might have the new hard drive id number issue, until i get more info i cant say for sure.
Last edited by rovingcowboy on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
abharkl

Post by abharkl »

Its pretty simple. When I first MM3 Gold Lifetime it organized all my files. I upgraded to MM4, then reverted because it totally hosed up the music db that the vary same program created to start. So i finally up'd to MM4 because they were kind enough to make MM3 not functional with online tagging anymore so we were pretty much SOL. Not happy with that BS still.

So I setup my organize rule like normal for importing music. Ran the program and told it to add files to library. Same stuff I have had for years and already organized. And MM4 starts redoing the entire db all over again orphaning files left and right, files that it had already had tagged. I think the issues lies with the "Contributing Artists" tag. That didnt exist in MM3 and all the Orphan files have that in place or actual album artist.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Mm4 uses a different database engine then mm3 and will re import the mm3 db,
Possible that you didnt get all of mm4 out when you reverted back to mm3 then the new install of mm4 found the old mm4 files and that is what is messing with it, i'm just guessing it's that but cant say for sure,
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
abharkl

Post by abharkl »

It's possible. I will have a look around.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

abharkl wrote:Its pretty simple. When I first MM3 Gold Lifetime it organized all my files. I upgraded to MM4, then reverted because it totally hosed up the music db that the vary same program created to start. So i finally up'd to MM4 because they were kind enough to make MM3 not functional with online tagging anymore so we were pretty much SOL. Not happy with that BS still.
It was a change in the Amazon.com API that caused it to not work anymore, nothing that the MM team did.
So I setup my organize rule like normal for importing music. Ran the program and told it to add files to library. Same stuff I have had for years and already organized. And MM4 starts redoing the entire db all over again orphaning files left and right, files that it had already had tagged. I think the issues lies with the "Contributing Artists" tag. That didnt exist in MM3 and all the Orphan files have that in place or actual album artist.
MM doesn't have any "Contributing artist" tag. Are you talking about "Involved people"?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
abharkl

Post by abharkl »

Ok maybe its a windows thing then that is calling it in the file explorer Contributing artist.

Either way no issue I will find a way to work through it, Just frustrated with the way the MM4 handles my music, I never had a single issue with MM3.

Also thank you for the responses and feedback. It is appreciated.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

When upgrading MM3 to MM4 you should keep the DB (it will be upgraded) and all tags will be present. If you start with a new DB then often the problem is that tags weren't saved to the files in MM3 and thus MM4 can't read them in. (Files to Edit > Unsynchronized Tags will show you all these files in MM3).

Also note that Infer File Properties can have strange results as it auto-guesses (Tools > Options > Library). I prefer it disabled and to use Tools > Auto-Tag from Filename to manually control how MediaMonkey reads folder/filenames if I need it to do so.
abharkl

Post by abharkl »

Lowlander wrote:When upgrading MM3 to MM4 you should keep the DB (it will be upgraded) and all tags will be present. If you start with a new DB then often the problem is that tags weren't saved to the files in MM3 and thus MM4 can't read them in. (Files to Edit > Unsynchronized Tags will show you all these files in MM3).

Also note that Infer File Properties can have strange results as it auto-guesses (Tools > Options > Library). I prefer it disabled and to use Tools > Auto-Tag from Filename to manually control how MediaMonkey reads folder/filenames if I need it to do so.

Thank you, after having this program for years there still much more to learn.