Display song ratings in library view lists [#10620]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

wutzin

Display song ratings in library view lists [#10620]

Post by wutzin »

I often ask myself why I should even bother rating my music if I listen to it mainly on a mobile device: NONE of the existing devices display the ratings in their song lists AFAIK.

Realistic scenario:
User says: hey, I'd love to listen to this old U2 album. I know I really liked this one track on there that wasn't a major radio hit.
In MMW, I go to the album, see the tracklist and immediately can tell from the high rating which track on this album I want to listen to.
On a mobile device, I go to the album and have to skip through all tracks just to find out which one the highly-rated track is since the ratings are not displayed in the list view.

So I have this huge feature request:
PLEASE give us an option to indicate star ratings in song lists on Android (ie in now playing, album views, search results...).
It doesn't necessarily require to give the user the option to edit the rating and can be visually super-compact:

->> maybe show stars in a little circle so they don't take up so much horizontal space. This would however require adding another column in list views.

->> Or simply use color-coding of the song handles to indicate the rating. That way, displaying the rating won't use up any more screen space than the current layout. Right now, the handles are a matrix of 2x4 dots. Simply change it to 2x5 dots - this will give you a 10-step scale like the 5-star rating with half-stars allowed. Now simply color some dots slightly differently to indicate rating. E.g. a two-star song would have four of the handle-dots colored in yellow instead of grew. See below for mock-ups of how this could look like (version 2 has a more subtle rating colors).

->> Or use a colored vertical line as song handle - with a little "heat/fever" color indicator on the line showing the rating.

As proof that I'm not alone in this: see same feature request here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... gs#p358054

Image Image
Last edited by wutzin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cochran242

Re: [REQ] Display song ratings in library view lists

Post by cochran242 »

I would like this feature as well! I heavily use ratings and being able to see them easily would be great!
wutzin

Post by wutzin »

Yeah, I always wondered why mobile players allow displaying the song rating of the currently playing song (ie. when it's already too late...) but not when you need it (i.e. when looking at a list of songs and trying to pick one to listen to).

This system is ok for realizing that the currently playing track is unrated and to rate it 'on the go' - but then again, if I can't see the rating unless I play the song, I wonder why I should bother rating my songs anyways...
Hector2

Post by Hector2 »

i really miss this feature, too. An Option to show ratings would be great and no other app has it.
drluebke

Post by drluebke »

I would love to have this feature as well!!!
Is there any statement from the MM crew yet?
captainmcl

Post by captainmcl »

I really like this idea, too, and like wutzin's mock-up of the screen!
CaptainMCL
Frisco, TX, USA
Peke

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
BigInJapan

Re: Display song ratings in library view lists [#10620]

Post by BigInJapan »

+1
Remember when Last.fm had those cool imagegen charts for use in signatures?
wutzin

Post by wutzin »

Peke, thanks for adding this! I would *love* to see this implemented :D
BaZile

Post by BaZile »

Hi,

I'm user rating to, and like very much this feature appear. Futhermore, i use this post to say a "bug" who will be resolved with this feature, Media monkey don't read the rating in the tag of the file :(

Thanks very well at all of you for your work on each platform

BaZile
heronheart

Post by heronheart »

+1 and please make the ratings editable! I download lots of (legal) files and would like to be able to rate them outside of the now playing screen.
skipsy3

Post by skipsy3 »

I've been waiting for this to be implemented for AGES. Can you please include it in the next update, surely it can't be that difficult??
creativconfusion

Post by creativconfusion »

I could not agree more.
This is the type of feature that can really set MMA apart from the competition.
skipsy3

Show Track Rating in Library views

Post by skipsy3 »

I've been trying for 3 years now to find an Android media player that will do this. I know I'm far from alone (there are loads of posts about this on various forums) and it's a feature that shouldn't be hard to implement as the information is there already.

I have a library of about 15,000 songs. When selecting tracks to add to a playlist there's no way I can remember every single track and whether it's any good, so I rely on the star rating system to remind me. Now, MM does carry the information on star ratings and it shows this when the track is playing, but the time I need it is when I'm BROWSING for the tracks in the first place.

All I ask is that the library views have an option to show each track's star rating alongside the track name, so the user doesn't have to dig into the edit function for each individual track to find out what the rating is.
The rating should be on display at any time you can see individual track names - in the Album/Tracks view and also in the Playlist/Now Playing view.
Life would be so much easier!

I've read a lot on the web about how there's no official ID3 tag for track rating, and this is why so few players carry the information. But MM DOES already have the information so PLEASE allow us to see it! Just put it on display so we know which tracks to pick. There's plenty of space and the star rating doesn't need to be very big.

I would be very grateful if I could get an answer to this request - if MM is unable to manage this I will have to keep looking elsewhere for the ideal media player. This is a dealbreaker for me and lots of others.

===================================================

One other request, and again there are few media players that do this: Like many people I organize my own collection and often create my own folders/albums with mixed artists in them. Using most Windows media players it's easy to display your listings with the same structure, and it would be nice to have an easier way of doing this in MMA. Currently there's no option to display entries this way within the 'Album Artists' view as I had hoped. the only option is to use 'Folders' -

Now, I have used the settings to tell MMA exactly which folder holds all my music, yet it still takes 3 CLICKS before you can get to the actual list of album folders on the device. Can we please have a simple choice to EITHER list Album Artists in the same way as folders are organized (some other Android players WILL do this), OR allow the Folders view to go directly to the folder in question without having to click 3 times!!

Many Thanks.
Last edited by Lowlander on Fri May 30, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
drunknmonkey

Post by drunknmonkey »

Are there any news on showing ratings in song lists?