MMA creates new Device Profiles [#10921]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

MMA creates new Device Profiles [#10921]

Post by Lowlander »

I connected my device first via USB to MMW. Then I connected via wifi. This created a new set (internal/card) Device Profiles in MMW. Then I delete the MediaMonkey folders on the device which created another new set of Device Profiles in MMW
BigInJapan

Re: MMA creates new Device Profiles

Post by BigInJapan »

I saw similar behavior today. I connected via USB first. Set that profile up and did a sync. Then my first WiFi sync created a new profile, and it didn't seem to be aware of what had already been synced. After the WiFi sync, the library showed two copies of every file. However, each file only seems to actually be on the device once.

When I plug it back in via USB, it sees it under that profile, not under the one that was created during WiFi sync.

The profile that's created when I plug in via USB is reporting a 38 GB capacity, which would be the sum of the internal and external storage on the device. The profile that gets created via WiFi indicates it's specific to the external SD card.

When I tried the WiFi sync, was there some way to force it use the profile that the USB sync created?
Remember when Last.fm had those cool imagegen charts for use in signatures?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You should be able to remove the USB Device Profiles and then it should use the Wifi Device Profiles both with Wifi And USB sync. The problem is that MMA uses a unique ID to identify the device which is used over wifi, but may not have been present (or changed since due to the removal of MediaMonkey folders on the device) and thus it created the 2 sets of profiles.
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

I just had MMA create a new profile again. When I enable the Sync to External option in MMA, it adds a profile to MMW. If I go to MMW and disable (but don't delete) that profile, then go back to MMA, Sync to External is disabled. If I re-enable Sync to External in MMA, rather than re-enabling that profile in MMW, it adds a new one.
mcow

Post by mcow »

BigInJapan wrote:When I enable the Sync to External option in MMA, it adds a profile to MMW.
If I understand you correctly, you have a device with both Internal and External storage. Each of these is treated as a separate device in terms of syncing. On my system, the device profile is created for both storages when the MMW database first sees the MMA database. (Deleting the MMA folders invalidates the old profile.) Since I'm not syncing to Internal, I just disable that device in the MMW Options | Devices list.

If I don't understand you correctly, then what do you mean "enable the Sync to External option"?
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

On the Options screen in MMA, there's a section labeled "Sync Location/Settings". In that section, I have two entries, MB855 Internal Storage and MB855 External SD card. If I tap the MB855 External SD card option, the next screen has a check box labeled "Sync to this location". When I check that option, a profile gets created in MMW called "Sprint MB855 - External SD Card". Checking and unchecking that profile in MMW causes the "Sync to this location" box in MMA to get checked and unchecked.

However, on several occasions, checking the box in MMA has caused a new profile to be added in MMW rather than activating the existing one. When I go to Tools > Options > Portable/Audio Devices in MMW, I currently have three entries that all say "Sprint MB855 - External SD Card". To my knowledge, I have not deleted the MMA folders at any point since the fist "Sprint MB855 - External SD Card" entry was created in MMW.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you delete the MediaMonkey folders on the device a new profile will be generated as the ID string MM uses to identify a specific profile is saved in the MediaMonkey folder: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=10524 Is that maybe what caused the additional profiles?
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

I didn't delete the MediaMonkey folders on the device. Do both MMW and MMA create this file? Could one have overwritten the other's?

My sync is way out of sync right now, so I think I'm going to clear out and start fresh.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MMA (wifi) and MMW (USB) should use the same profiles. However this hinges on the MediaMonkey folders not being deleted from the device.
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

I had this happen again after the update to 0117. Do updates rewrite the storageinfo.xml file?

On my first sync attempt after updating to 0117, MMA told me I had nothing to sync. When I looked in MMW, there were two profiles for my external card. Both profiles were checked. Prior to that sync attempt, there was only one profile there. Requesting the sync from MMA caused the second one to be added. To the best of my knowledge, I didn't do anything that would have deleted the MediaMonkey folders on my device. I can only assume the update deleted and recreated them.

When I examined the profiles in MMW, one profile had the playlists that I've been syncing selected, the other profile did not. I copied all of the settings from the first profile into the second profile and then deleted the first profile. The next wifi sync triggered from MMA worked fine.

I see there's an update 0118 waiting for me. I guess I'll watch to see if this happens again.
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

My settings held through the 0118 update, so that's good.
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

ARGH! Just happened again. Hit sync in MMA, get a "Nothing to sync" response, look in MMW, there's a second profile. I checked MMW immediately before the sync, and there was only one profile there.

The only out of the ordinary event I can think of since my last sync is that a crash caused my device to reset itself last night while MMA was running.

As before, I copied the settings from profile A over to profile B, synced again, and all was gravy. Recovery isn't too bad. I just wish I could figure out what is triggering this.
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

Same thing again.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, so are you saying that WiFi sync initiated from MMA always create a different profile?

1. I would need to see both the profiles, i.e. go to MMW->[Device]->Options->Device Profile->[Export device options...]
This will export the profile as MMDC file, attach the MMDC of both the duplicated profiles

2. Get these files:
\MediaMonkey\files\StorageInfo.xml
\MediaMonkey\files\StorageInfo.xml.mmw
located on the particular (external) device storage.
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

Thanks Ludek. On my device I only see \MediaMonkey\files\StorageInfo.xml. I don't see one called MediaMonkey\files\StorageInfo.xml.mmw