Some sync issues and gripes relating to played data [#10134]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: Some sync issues and gripes relating to played data [#10

Post by Lowlander »

I tried and didn't see any play data returned on wifi sync either.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Thanks Lowlander. If you create a Mantis issue please note that this happens on WIFI and USB.

Thanks again for testing
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I just posted a topic about weird behavior here but wanted to note in this thread that for some reason today the phone did sync back to MM with 'Last Date Played" and "Rating". Not sure what else but those had not been syncing as noted in this thread.

As Alice said " ... Curiouser and Curiouser ... "
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

I see this is being tracked in Mantis, but have there been any developments? This is a big feature that would sell MMA and MM4.1 for me 100%.
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=10160
--
The gpzbc
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

I've been thinking about this, and implementation of this feature would really set MMA apart from other players such as Player Pro or even UPnP players like Bubble UPnP. Every loyal MMW user would become loyal MMA users and have a consistent MediaMonkey experience for all our media!
--
The gpzbc
rusty

Post by rusty »

We're hearing you, and it's pretty high on our priority list. But atm, there is still more basic functionality/bugs that need work.

It's currently targetted for 1.1.

-Rusty
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Fantastic! Thank you for chiming in and letting us know that it is being worked on.
--
The gpzbc
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

I got to thinking about this again, and had a couple ideas come to mind that would might be nice to have if this ever does see implementation. It's been well established that this feature would greatly benefit Bex's Play History script. To further add to possible functionality for said script, I propose a bit of an update to the Played History table. Instead of just storing the MMA plays there as it stands now and mixing them in... perhaps adding another column to the table that would store the source of the play. That way, when analyzing the data and such, we could distinguish between plays from MMW and MMA because that could be an interesting way of breaking the information down. Your listening behavior may differ when you're at your computer as opposed to when using your phone.

Secondly, there's surely a potential issue with database bloat on the phones. Perhaps a "friendly reminder" to sync your phone could be displayed to clear out this history every once in a while. Perhaps an option to display based on "x days since last sync" or "x plays since last sync" and then an option to disable this warning/notice as well for those that don't care to see it. Thus for those that don't sync often, they would be reminded to sync their phone if for nothing else than to transfer the played data over to downside the database. This might be beneficial to if someone is wanting to sync their plays from their phone "manually" to Last.FM or such since I know they have a cutoff of how old a play can be when submitted.

Just some thoughts. Still hoping to see this implemented sometime soon though.
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Mizery_Made wrote:I got to thinking about this again, and had a couple ideas come to mind that would might be nice to have if this ever does see implementation. It's been well established that this feature would greatly benefit Bex's Play History script. To further add to possible functionality for said script, I propose a bit of an update to the Played History table. Instead of just storing the MMA plays there as it stands now and mixing them in... perhaps adding another column to the table that would store the source of the play. That way, when analyzing the data and such, we could distinguish between plays from MMW and MMA because that could be an interesting way of breaking the information down. Your listening behavior may differ when you're at your computer as opposed to when using your phone.

Secondly, there's surely a potential issue with database bloat on the phones. Perhaps a "friendly reminder" to sync your phone could be displayed to clear out this history every once in a while. Perhaps an option to display based on "x days since last sync" or "x plays since last sync" and then an option to disable this warning/notice as well for those that don't care to see it. Thus for those that don't sync often, they would be reminded to sync their phone if for nothing else than to transfer the played data over to downside the database. This might be beneficial to if someone is wanting to sync their plays from their phone "manually" to Last.FM or such since I know they have a cutoff of how old a play can be when submitted.

Just some thoughts. Still hoping to see this implemented sometime soon though.
I think that idea is worth some consideration, but I'm not sure that it solves anything except to give more power to Bex's script if he wants to utilize it. Ultimately there needs to be a way to natively and/or automatically integrate MMA plays with MMW.

I'm also still hoping to see this implemented sometime soon.
--
The gpzbc