Google Music

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

anthrex

Re: Google Music

Post by anthrex »

I am really excited for this. I wish I could give coding support, but alas I can't. Thanks for all the hard work!!
keirawinsor

Post by keirawinsor »

It's just a version of Yahoo music but still they can dominate Yahoo.
simon_weber

Post by simon_weber »

Hello again, everyone. I apologize for not keeping this thread more up to date.

I've got bad news: since starting my internship at Google, I'm not allowed to work on this project. So, don't expect a real release anytime soon. I managed to keep my code open source, however; hopefully it's of value to somebody.

Despite this setback, I'm still really passionate about the project. I strongly believe that Music would benefit from expanded mediaplayer compatibility. Your support - of which I'm incredibly thankful - is evidence that I'm not alone in thinking this. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to this project in the future.

Thanks again for all your support. If you have general questions about Music, feel free to reach out to me - I'm always happy to help.
anthrex

Post by anthrex »

That sucks for us non-coders. I'm glad you started it up I hope someone else puts some work into it, but it looks like I shouldn't keep my hopes up. Thank you and good luck! Hopefully you'll be able to get back to it :)
wormywyrm

Post by wormywyrm »

simon_weber wrote:Hey guys, I'm Simon - the creator of the Google Music api that wormy linked.

I'm a MediaMonkey user, too! Now that the api is pretty much feature-complete (I just added non-mp3 uploading today), I'm looking into building something to automate syncing from Media Monkey. Since any application has full access to the MM database, this shouldn't be too much of a problem. My current plan is to implement one way syncing, from MM to Google Music. The solution would be external, and in Python to ease interaction with the api. It would work by setting up a typical audit-log on the MM database, and storing a bit of Google Music data in with the existing song/playlist metadata.

If you guys - or anyone else who happens to find this thread - are still interested in this, let me know. I may or may not have time to put towards this project right away, but even if it has to wait it's something I intend to get around to.
:o :o :o Why did I not see this a years ago?? I would have been pretty excited.

I lost interest in trying to get MM to GM because it was time for me to buy a new phone and looking at the market I really wanted a smaller high end phone and iphone is pretty much the only option for that. So I actually ended up switching to iTunes entirely because I wanted to use the genius feature and I just found it too frustrating to sync MM and iTunes. I have been thinking more of using Simon's API to sync iTunes with GM because I am considering getting the Surface RT and (evil) apple has not created or allowed an iTunes app for it. The sad thing is that I could handle all the problems that comes with no 86x compatibility EXCEPT I would lose access to my music. Ah well.
MM to Grooveshark Playlist Sync w/ MonkeyShark.
http://lysle.net/projects/monkeyshark.php
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

What the c.... do i want google's messed up database anywhere near my mediamonkey database,? They made mediamonkey android and it is far better then the junky google music app, if it was not a system file in my phone google music would have been uninstalled long ago. And wormywyrm they make mm metro for the win 8. I'd get the surface pro not rt.

I dont understand this wanting to go to bad programs from the best Mediamonkey!
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Post by Guest »

rovingcowboy wrote:I dont understand this wanting to go to bad programs from the best Mediamonkey!
I found this thread while looking for a way to sync my mediamonkey info to my Google Music, since Gmusic seems to have goofed all over a bunch of my metadata. Sad that development stopped, and even more sad that I can't help to remedy that.

@rovingcowboy - I have not yet tried the MediaMonkey android app, but I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly?) that it's made to "sync" or play files from my computer. The reason, and really the ONLY reason I'm looking at Gmusic, is so I can stream my files without needing to have them on my phone. I've got a synology NAS, and have also looked into maybe setting up Dynamic DNS on it, but...well, I won't bore ya with the details, I just wasn't thrilled with that setup :)

I completely agree with you however that mediamonkey is WAAAY better than Gmusic. I'm just looking to stream....
xmnboy

Post by xmnboy »

If you want to stream your Google Music from the cloud just get an inexpensive Android tablet and load Google Music (aka Play Music) on the tablet and attach the headphone out of the tablet to an audio in on your amplifier. I do this with a Nexus 7 and it works just fine. Tablet will last all day on a charge.

Of course, that doesn't help with syncing data in MediaMonkey with your Google Music data, or the way Google Music does not deal well with multiple genre tags, but it does make it convenient to get access to your music if you don't have a DLNA capable receiver and/or you want to get to it when you are away from home. I use this technique to listen to my music at work, it's very convenient.
wormywyrm

Post by wormywyrm »

rovingcowboy wrote:What the c.... do i want google's messed up database anywhere near my mediamonkey database,? They made mediamonkey android and it is far better then the junky google music app, if it was not a system file in my phone google music would have been uninstalled long ago. And wormywyrm they make mm metro for the win 8. I'd get the surface pro not rt.

I dont understand this wanting to go to bad programs from the best Mediamonkey!
I love mediamonkey, I don't want to go to any other program... I just want to use media monkey... on my ARM tablet, on my ARM phone, on my xbox, on school computers, work computers, in the car, etc... Sadly theres no mediamonkey for these devices.

Well not yet :D

I did get the surface RT (pro is too heavy and poor battery life for my tastes, i needed something more portable). I love it, but I still haven't really worked out my music problem. Honestly I mostly just listen to a lot less music :lol: I'll use itunes, google music, pandora, and grooveshark sometimes. I can rarely find the right mood.

I checked out media monkey's windows 8 app; I was ecstatic when I read it existed, but a little disappointment now with the strange/awkward user interface (for instance, I click on genres and they are separated one by one and I have to drag to see them all even though they could easily fit on 1 page if they were not side to side). Also I am very confused how to make the windows 8 app on my surface sync to mediamonkey on my PC. I don't think I will bother trying to figure it out because even if I did figure it out, my phone and web devices wouldn't work so I will mostly be in the same position as ever.
MM to Grooveshark Playlist Sync w/ MonkeyShark.
http://lysle.net/projects/monkeyshark.php
binny

Post by binny »

Hey guys, for anyone looking at how to sync playlists as well as song here what I'm doing and seems to do to the trick:
1) Find, install and activate a script which exports your playlists in a regular and automatic manner in any folder/root of your music collection, or somewhere else, it just doesn't matter as long as you tell WMP where they are in step 3. I would advice you to put the saved playlists into the same music folder to make things simpler. The script named Export M3Us/Create Playlists for Child Nodes is what I used to do this (I've tried version 3.5.3 and 3.6 so far).

2) After installing, visit the options menu for your new MediaMonkey script under File>Export Playlists>Options. Options I've set that accomplish our duties are:
*export to single folder
*all sub-level of nodes (cmatte recommends this, but I, wormy found it to export playlists of every single artist in my library, which was just way too many extra playlists, so I recommend turning it off)
*relative paths in m3us (important!)
*skip exports of nodes/folder: ^(CD|Disc) ?\d+|Accessible Tracks|Imported playlists
*use regular expressions for specifying paths/folders (important!)
*exclude unavailable files
*ANSI (important!)

3) Install iTunes (I know but this works) but do not let it import any songs or libraries.

4) Install Music Manager and set it to sync with iTunes.

5) Now to sync songs and playlists just hit Crtl+O in iTunes and add the playlist(s) that you exported from MM. and Music Manager will automatically import everything for you. If you change a playlist just delete the playlist in iTunes and re-add the new playlist to iTunes and it will change the playlist without reuploading everything.
*extended .m3u format (important!)
*automatically export on shutdown, and every 60 mins. (wormy likes to use every 5 mins because it exports really fast and uses barely any CPU)
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Thanks for this!
--
The gpzbc