Duplicate tracks [#11481]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

bkenobi69

Duplicate tracks [#11481]

Post by bkenobi69 »

I've noticed that I have a few duplicate tracks on MMA. It appears that they are pointing to the same file location on the ext-sd card, so it looks like a database issue and not an actual duplication. I don't see what would cause this since these are only in a single playlist and I have recently purged the files and redownloaded all via WiFi in one session. The ones I'm currently looking at have not been changed on MMA or MMW (no ratings, genre, playcount, etc changes).

Is there a way to reprocess the tracks to force MMA to figure out that they are in fact duplicate? I can upload some kind of debug log, but I seriously doubt I'd have anything that would point to the source at this point.

MMA 182
MMW 1670
bkenobi69

Re: Duplicate tracks

Post by bkenobi69 »

A small update. I have been listening to these tracks and investigating the paths. The files only appear once on the sd card as I mentioned. However, in the MMA they do appear twice but do not sound the same when played back. I don't know if this is a volume leveling thing or what, but if I play the two duplicates back to back without changing any settings, the second is consistently a different volume than the first. I have an album that contains 5 tracks and when I select it in MMA to play all tracks (10 total), I can play one track, skip to the next and notice a large drop in volume. The 3rd track is the first instance of the second track and it is again the same volume as the first track.

Debug log: YH1N0P7CA
rusty

Post by rusty »

Unfortunately, the debug log won't tell us much for this. Can you tell me:

-Is there only 1 track in MMW with the title that is in duplicate in MMA?
-Was the track in question auto-converted?
-Can you zip and send me the contents of the /MediaMonkey/files directory, along with the name of the track that appears in duplicate?

Thanks.

-Rusty
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I updated MMA (185) and MMW (1671) to the latest versions since there was a change log item that sounded like it might help. After updating, I asked MMA to WiFi sync. It indicated that 13 tracks needed to be downloaded (I expected none since I added no tracks and updated the meta data on none that I can recall). Of the tracks that were downloaded, 8 were all from the same album that I noticed 2 copies of at the time of the initial report. After the update, there are now 3 copies listed in MMA.

Most of my tracks are in FLAC format (all tracks on the album in question are FLAC) and converted via a rule to mp3 format. MMW shows a single instance of the track (as it should). My phone's battery is nearly dead, so it's back on the charger. I'll upload the /MediaMonkey/files directory tomorrow and post a link.
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

Requested files uploaded to ticket:

OLV-481060

Duplicated tracks include all 8 tracks from "The Oracle" by Godsmack.
Last edited by bkenobi69 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

I have the same issue with MMW 1671 and MMA 185 on two Android devices. There are about six tracks which have been duplicated up to four times each so far. None of these tracks were auto-converted.

The contents of my /files directories are zipped and available here: https://db.tt/jquxfgbR

Duplicated tracks are as follows.

On my Nexus 4:
Audiobook - Bridget Christie Minds the Gap - Episode 2. Two entries.
Podcast - The Smartest Man in the World - Vampires. Two entries.

On my Nexus 7:
Audiobook - Bridget Christie Minds the Gap - Episode 2. Four entries.
Podcast - The Smartest Man in the World - All episodes have three entries each except the most recent which has two.

It looks like all affected tracks are duplicated again on every sync. On each sync MMA downloads the track again and overwrites the existing file but does not remove the existing database entry.
JoeTonge

Re: Duplicate tracks [#11481]

Post by JoeTonge »

Same issue here. I had tried to wirelessly sync an autoplaylist I made for songs rated 3 stars and above, which came to just over 3000 songs. The first sync was OK, but subsequent syncs were duplicating entries in my library - not the files saved on the phone (Samsung Galaxy S4 w/ 64GB SD card), just the entries in the MM library. I can't say if it was all of the songs, or just certain ones, but there were A LOT. By the time I was done testing the wireless syncing, some albums had 4+ duplicates of each song. So I cleared my library and synced directly to my SD card, which worked flawlessly, except it doesn't sync ratings (bummer).

Then MMA v 1.0.4.0185 was released, which noted some fixes regarding track duplication during wireless sync. So I updated and gave wireless syncing another shot - this time just syncing two artists (254 songs total). First sync was OK. Then I tried syncing again, expecting no updates, but 17 songs were identified for download - all 14 songs from one album and 3 songs from three different compilation albums. I checked my library and sure enough, there were duplicate entries of all 17 songs.

So I tried syncing again. This time, the same 17 songs were identified for deletion. I checked the "select all" button (would be nice if it was already checked by default) and confirmed the deletion. It showed the songs being deleted and then being downloaded again. At the end of the process, I checked my library and the duplicates were gone.

So I synced again. The same 17 songs were downloaded, resulting in duplicates. Synced again and those duplicates were removed. Repeat cycle...

(Running MMW 4.1.0.1667)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You've got an old MMW build. If on the new build you still see
JoeTonge wrote:but subsequent syncs were duplicating entries in my library
then you should capture the sync in a debug log (step 4b): http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... f=21&t=341 (add both MMW and ID of MMA log to a support ticket for developer analysis).
JoeTonge wrote:(would be nice if it was already checked by default)
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11449
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

Since JoeTonge was using an old version of MMW and experiencing the same problem, at least we know this is an issue with MMA. Hopefully it will help direct a fix.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It sounds like a different issue as you're seeing duplication in MMA whereas JoeTonge reports duplication in MMW.
JoeTonge

Post by JoeTonge »

Sorry for the confusion. The duplication happens in my MMA library (on my phone), not my MMW library. I'll try updating to the latest version of MMW and see if the issue persists.

UPDATE:
Upgraded MMW to latest build (v 4.1.0.1672) and duplications seem to be gone from MMA using the same sync set as before. Looking good so far.

UPDATE-2:
After playing music on my phone for a day and rating a few songs, I started up my computer again and synced MMA with MMW and 2 of the tracks I rated got duplicated. I am at a loss.
JeffV64

Post by JeffV64 »

I see this too, but I am not convinced that there are actually duplicate copies - in MMA, the "duplicate" tracks have the same path, and browsing the media store reveals only one copy (not sure how much I trust the media store, but that's a different issue!).

So for me, I will wifi sync and some number of tracks will show as downloading, even if I have made no changes to tags etc. The one commonality that I strongly suspect is that I have played the songs recently. For instance, yesterday seven tracks downloaded, and all seven were from an album that I played on the iPod earlier in the day (I updated the iPod via MMW before syncing with MMA - though I should add that playing on the iPod is not necessary, as this weekend I took a trip and played tons of music on the phone, and some of these tracks are experiencing the apparent duplication problem).

Droid Razr M with fully updated MMA and MMW betas.

Jeff
Rainmaker

Post by Rainmaker »

Still having this issue even after the latest updates. Any idea on how to fix?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you see any new duplicates after upgrading MMA? I'd presume that any existing duplicates won't be removed on upgrade.
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

It's still happening to me too, though my latest sync only duplicated one track where the previous version would usually duplicate several. I had removed all duplicates before upgrading to MMA 189.

I have submitted log MOFFUJ0WJR.