Ext SDcard unavailable in Options after KitKat upd [#11542]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

BigInJapan

Ext SDcard unavailable in Options after KitKat upd [#11542]

Post by BigInJapan »

I'm on a Play Edition GS4, and I just recently updated to KitKat (4.4). In MediaMonkey (v 189), my external SD card is no longer available in the Options screens. It's particularly odd because all of my music is on that external SD card, and I'm able to play the music just fine.

Prior to the Android 4.4 update, I wifi synced music to the external SD card. The content was already on when I did the update. After the update, if I use any of the library browsers (Albums, Tracks, Playlists, etc), they see all of the content on the external card. I can select and play any of the content normally. However, if I
1) Go to Folders, I'm only given an option for Internal Storage
2) Go to Options > Choose Library folders, I can only choose from Internal Storage
3) Go to Options > Sync Location/Settings, I can only set up sync for Internal Storage. My previous settings for the external card seem to be lost.
4) Go to Options > UPNP, it still shows my last setting (/storage/extSdCard), but if I tap there to change it, I can only browse Internal Storage.

According my file manager app, /storage/extSdCard is still a valid path.
Remember when Last.fm had those cool imagegen charts for use in signatures?
bhiefer

Re: Ext SD card not available in Options after KitKat update

Post by bhiefer »

Hi, could you please start app and send immediately logs? I have to see the storage configuration file of your device and they will be visible there. Please, post your log id here..

Note: tracked at http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11542
BigInJapan

Re: Ext SDcard unavailable in Options after KitKat update #1

Post by BigInJapan »

Log id ENNNNNHKXI.
bhiefer

Post by bhiefer »

Hi, I see that the path should be /mnt/media_rw/extSdCard but it doesn't exist. Could you please check it in some explorer app. I guess that your sd card have other path...something like /mnt/extSdCard . I have found this kind of issue in other android forums. But they don't have universal solution. Could you please write me your path to sd card ? (it is case sensitive)
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

In Root Explorer, both of the following are listed as valid paths:
/mnt/media_rw/extSdCard
/mnt/extSdCard

But if I'm reading it correctly, media_rw has more restrictive default permissions.
DocMAX

Post by DocMAX »

Same problem here!
bhiefer

Post by bhiefer »

Could you please both send me a content of your /storage/ folder, i.e. what subfolders it has? I have just tried 4.4 on SGS2 and I have the same issue.

I can see that folder /mnt/extSdCard is symlink to storage/sdcard1 . Could you please confirm this? I have to confirm my assumption.

Image Image

Please note that I use X-plore app, where symlinks are nicely visible. ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... mes.Xplore )
mrbrown

Post by mrbrown »

Had the same issue. What finally solved it was uninstalling media monkey, adding a symlink under /storage to sdcard0 which linked to /extSdCard
The /sdcard0 symlink that was preexisting pointed to an incorrect directory.
and reinstalling MM
So my /storage (from the root directory, not under mount) contains:
/storage/sdcard0 which links to \extSdCard
/storage/sdcard
/storage/emulated/0 (which MM is using as my internal SD link)
/storage/sdcard1 (which MM ignores)
All links permissions are set to 777 (rwxrwxrwx)

and it works again. No playlists but I'm hopeful they will resync when I get back to my computer.
mrbrown

Post by mrbrown »

Edit: Worked like a charm, however on reboot the system overwrites changes to the /storage folder and puts them back to where they were before I edited them. Strange thing is the files are still in MM and it will play them, however it will not longer see the folders they are in under options or browse the folder. I know I could hack into the system folders and make it work the way it needs to, but that's really more work than I want to do right now. I guess the only hope here is to wait for an update and hopefully MM will point to the mount points that are now in the root directory
\extSdCard
\sdcard

On mine anyway. Good luck.

I signed up in case further explanation was necessary. Kit Kat just has a different symlink structure and other programs are similarly affected.
mrbrown wrote:Had the same issue. What finally solved it was uninstalling media monkey, adding a symlink under /storage to sdcard0 which linked to /extSdCard
The /sdcard0 symlink that was preexisting pointed to an incorrect directory.
and reinstalling MM
So my /storage (from the root directory, not under mount) contains:
/storage/sdcard0 which links to \extSdCard
/storage/sdcard
/storage/emulated/0 (which MM is using as my internal SD link)
/storage/sdcard1 (which MM ignores)
All links permissions are set to 777 (rwxrwxrwx)

and it works again. No playlists but I'm hopeful they will resync when I get back to my computer.
bhiefer

Post by bhiefer »

Thank you for the details. Could you please tell me what device do you own?

You have listed subdirs of /storage/. What is /storage/sdcard1 ? Is this the external sdcard too ?

I've added scanning of /storage/ subdirs (build 202). Does it work for you?

Otherwise, could you please send me logs right after you start MMA and post log id here. I want to see content of your mount file.
mrbrown

Post by mrbrown »

sdcard1 is the external card. I'm on a Samsung S3, running cynaogen
at first the updated did not read the music folder on the external card, it showed it but would not navigate into it.
I turned on USB debugging it now works fine.

On another note it now does not show my primary memory at all. Not a big deal here as all the media is on the secondary card.
bhiefer wrote:Thank you for the details. Could you please tell me what device do you own?

You have listed subdirs of /storage/. What is /storage/sdcard1 ? Is this the external sdcard too ?

I've added scanning of /storage/ subdirs (build 202). Does it work for you?

Otherwise, could you please send me logs right after you start MMA and post log id here. I want to see content of your mount file.
bhiefer

Post by bhiefer »

Could you please send logs from your device (Options->Send logs) and post log ID here ? I want to see why the internal storage is not working.

When you disable USB debugging, the external storage disappears ? It shouldn't be related. If it really isn't accessible without USB debugging turned on, please send me another logs with USB debugging turned off. Thanks!
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

I haven't had a whole lot of time to play this lately. Stupid real world all getting in the way.

So a just a quick update, fwiw.

I've got it running on two phones, both are Play Edition GS4. Both have 32 gig external cards. One is completely stock 4.4. One is rooted 4.4, mostly stock, with the exception that I've modified the /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml file as described here: http://www.androidcentral.com/android-4 ... workaround

On the unrooted phone, I can't access the external card. In Folders, I see:
Library
/storage/emulated/0
/storage/emulated

Files
Internal Storage
/storage/emulated/0
External SD Card (Read Only)
/storage/emulated

On the rooted phone, I am able to access the external card. Sync and everything seems to work fine. In Folders, I see:
Library
/storage/emulated/0
/storage/extSdCard
/storage/emulated

Files
Internal Storage
/storage/emulated/0
External SD Card
/storage/extSdCard
External SD Card 2 (Read Only)
/storage/emulated
bhiefer

Post by bhiefer »

Thank you for update. /storage/emulated shouldn't be there. Will be fixed in next build (after 203).

But unfortunately I still don't know your real folder structure. Could you please write me all subfolders of your /storage/ folder and send me logs after MediaMonkey's startup? Thanks
BigInJapan wrote:I haven't had a whole lot of time to play this lately. Stupid real world all getting in the way.

So a just a quick update, fwiw.

I've got it running on two phones, both are Play Edition GS4. Both have 32 gig external cards. One is completely stock 4.4. One is rooted 4.4, mostly stock, with the exception that I've modified the /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml file as described here: http://www.androidcentral.com/android-4 ... workaround

On the unrooted phone, I can't access the external card. In Folders, I see:
Library
/storage/emulated/0
/storage/emulated

Files
Internal Storage
/storage/emulated/0
External SD Card (Read Only)
/storage/emulated

On the rooted phone, I am able to access the external card. Sync and everything seems to work fine. In Folders, I see:
Library
/storage/emulated/0
/storage/extSdCard
/storage/emulated

Files
Internal Storage
/storage/emulated/0
External SD Card
/storage/extSdCard
External SD Card 2 (Read Only)
/storage/emulated
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

Log from the rooted phone:
SUXRQYADQH

Log from the unrooted phone:
8LML1PKIN7

Both phones are showing the same thing in the storage folder