[SOLVED] Change Information

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Kevin16

[SOLVED] Change Information

Post by Kevin16 »

Questions

1. How do I make changes in my library (an artist name or track name, etc...) and have that change "saved" in the orginal file "saved" on my C: drive.

if I was scrolling down my library and noticed something is wrong, I change it, but I look at the orginal file path in my C: drive and it doesn't reflecxt that change....

2. Or should I ask first - is this possible to do with Media Monkey or do I need a sperate program?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that may mean changing the original files "tags"? do I have that correct?

Been using Media Monkey for years, but by no means an expert... spent an hour trying to figure this out and then tried to find it onsearch but couldn't.

I thought that when I used to change the name of Artist, Title, Album, etc... it used to change that information in the original file name as I have media monkey on a few laptops.

So those changes made on one would transfer if I transfer the orginal files

I would scroll down my library and see a few edits I would need to make and make them and I thought they would automatically save... but the changes now are not seen in the original file....

I might not have a full understanding of a few words like tags, synchonize etc...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance for your help!
Lowlander

Re: Change Information

Post by Lowlander »

By default MediaMonkey automatically saves changes to the tags to the files. However it seems you're asking about filenames, not tags. If you want folder/filenames to be changed automatically use Tools > Options > Auto-Organize (Gold feature).
Kevin16

Post by Kevin16 »

Thanks so much for reply, so sorry, not understanding... crap - et try to explain further. (I do have the Gold Verson on Windows 8 currently)

I have all my songs stored in a file on my desktop computer in My Musc folder in C: drive...

I add all my songs to my Media Monkey which then shows up in MM as my current library.

I want to change the Aritst, Title, and/or Album not to all songs, just random one that need changing or updating...

I know I can make those changes right on MM - just scroll to song, click on song, then click again so it's highlighted for the change.

But, When I make that change, I want it to reflect that change or "SAVE" that change to actual original file itself...

..so that when I transfer the songs to my laptops, the changes automatically show up when I reload them to MM on my laptops...

For example... if the song Black Dog says Van Halen as Artist, and Diver Down as album but it should say Led Zepplin as Artist and Led Zepplin IV as the album name I want to make those changes in MM and have them saved to that file...

I know how to make changes on MM but I would like those changes to save so that they show on the original file...

If I go to the file direct on my C: drive and can "customize columns" to show title, artist, album etc... I'm assuming that all this info is called tags...

I'm not looking to change the path name or the name of the actually track itself... just change some of the info save to the track (again I'm assuming this is tags)

Right now, when I make changes to MM they show up in the columns of the files when I find them through my C: drive

Questions...

1. Can this be done with Media Monkey or do I need a seperate program?...

2. I may not be understanding Tags??? I'm assuming that tags are all the info assiociated with a file... Artist, Title Year, etc... The Path is where the file is stores and the file name is what you see in the folder where it's stored...correct?

Thanks!

Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As said, by default MediaMonkey will save tag changes to the files. (option to disable this is under Tools > Options > Tags & Playlists).
Kevin16

Post by Kevin16 »

Thanks Lowlander.. I see where it says "Update tags when editing properties... however this is checked already! but those changes are not being made to the original file when I make changes in MM... could it be Windows 8 issue? Any other ideas what it might be? This would be huge if I could figure it out... thanks!

I just tried this as well...
"Tools->Advanced Tag Management->Synchronize Tags should take care of your tags" I saw this in the other post... i high;ight a few songs to see if it would work... it looked like it was working but went to orginal file list in c: drive and chenges weren't made.... either I am missing something or it's a windows 8thing... any help is greatly appreciated!

I just now tried this as well...

"In some circumstances, it may be necessary to clean MP3 tags. This is the case when:
Tags are malformed resulting in failed attempts to write/update the tags. In this case it is generally advisable to clean ID3v1 and v2 tags.
The Tracks are to be played on a device that gets 'confused' by some tag types. In this case you can simply clean ID3v1 or ID3v2 tags, as required.
In these cases it is possible to remove the MP3 tags and then rewrite new tags with information contained in the Library. To do so:
In the Explorer, select the Tracks whose tags you wish to clean.
Click Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Clean (ID3v1 | ID3v2 | ID3v1 and v2) Tags.
Important: If you've cleaned ID3v1 and v2 tags, remember to synchronize the tags after you've cleaned them. "

This didn't work either
Kevin16

Post by Kevin16 »

SOLVED!!!!! YES!!

Permission and security of the storage folder!!! If anyone else runs into this problem... make sure you check the permiision and security of your folders...

My main folder with all music was set to Read Only... I unchecked that and then went to security, clicked edit and added Full Control, Modify, Read & Execute, Read Write... make sure ALL are checked!

Now any changes I make in MM reflect on tags!!!

Thanks again for all help! :D
jbt

Post by jbt »

Thank you soooooooooo much. Wasted hours with various options in TOOLS, and then such a
simple solution :) .