Duplicate tracks [#11481]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

captainbroccoli

Re: Duplicate tracks [#11481]

Post by captainbroccoli »

I just wiped my phone and all database files on the Android, and re-synced my selected library files (26GB). I've always kept up-to-date on both ends and have always experienced duplicate ghosts on my phones (HTC Evo 3D, and now Note 3). One file will be the working file and the other will not play at all. It doesn't exist, though it shows up. I have auto-conversion set up but those files that are duplicated are always random and different every time I fully wipe and re-sync. There are no duplicates on WWM and none in the directory on the Android.

WWM: 4.1.1.1700
WWA: 1.0.4.0236
captainbroccoli

Post by captainbroccoli »

ALSO, metadata [song ratings] never seem to make it from the Android back to the PC, even though I have the metadata transfer option checked [Auto-sync file metadata from the device to the PC].

UPDATE: Ghost files I was seeing yesterday when I made my previous post have disappeared. I think they're sometimes caused when MMA is checking for new/changed media. Another thing that happens with ghosts on MMA is that half an album or an entire album will be duplicated and the first session of tracks [the ghosts] will be numbered 101, 102, 103... while the real tracks that actually play will be numbered correctly 1, 2, 3...

ANOTHER UPDATE: between last night and this morning the 32GB sd card in my phone has somehow lost 98% of the songs I synced last night........ this problem is new...... They were certainly there last night as I was playing them, and now they're inexplicably gone! No songs in MMA, no songs in the file explorer.
lobojon

Post by lobojon »

I have noticed that MM sometimes produces ghost duplicates. They are not actually files or pointing to files. If you list the "duplicates" and double click on the first one to play it, it just greys out and skips to the next, which also does not play. This happens to me periodically. I usually rescan the database and the ghosts go away. This time this is not working though.

If you delete the ghost, the two database listings in MM disappear and you have actually just deleted the single audio file that exists. This is frustrating to be sure.

I have not found a solution to this issue. Is it a bug? Is it user error? Is it a mystery?

I am not sure if this helps you at all. Maybe you have already found a solution that I have not yet found. If you have, then let me know.

Peace out.
MM Lifer since 2008. Still apprentice (noob) level.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Toshiba Satellite laptop
Music collection of 2 TB located on an external hard
Spybot Search & Destroy / Iobit Anti Malware
Avast Antivirus Free Edition

I love the Monkey and the forum.
Thanks to all who provide advice, assistance, add ons and scripts. It is very much appreciated!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

At least add more details, like device, internal or external memory and version of Android and MMA. I'd also suggest to send a debug log (from About) after you see this (1 for playback fail and 1 for auto-removal (capturing when they were added will be best, but may be difficult)).
MonkeyStrut

Why syncing doesn't work as it should be

Post by MonkeyStrut »

Hi --

When syncing everything goes wrong. The major flaw I have identified is that Songs are duplicated: I have 1) the songs that are supposed to be there, with album art but no ratings info. I can play them. I then have 2) all the songs duplicated, without album art and I cannot play them (seems just to be a list) but if I look at their respective properties, rating is there. I have tested on few songs or a lot of songs at the same time. I have tested with automated sync and manual sync. I have tested before and after formatting my SD card.

Running last version of MMW Gold and MMA Pro.

Quite disappointing.
Last edited by Lowlander on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you using the latest beta of MMA which has fixes for Android 4.4 SD card issues?
MonkeyStrut

Post by MonkeyStrut »

hi --
yes I was initially using the last beta version of MMA and MMW but I then downgraded to the last stable versions of each because I was thinking this might have been the issue. The problems remained the same.

-cheers-
MonkeyStrut

Post by MonkeyStrut »

hi again --

I have retried with the beta version and the album art and ratings are not synchronized. And if I delete some files in the phone but from MMW, they reappear as listed if I plug again the phone, although they are not on the phone anymore.

Everything seems totally messed up.

Using Sony Xperia Z1 running Android 4.4.2
SDXC card of 64 Gb
gicronin

Post by gicronin »

Hi, I also have problems with duplicates.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S5 on 4.4.2 with Media Monkey Android version 1.0.5.0259

I've synced over a load of tracks and under 10 playlists. There is a main playlist with all the songs in then playlists with groups of the same songs in genre groups so I can play selections of songs from a couple of different genres on shuffle.

I have the same problem as described by some others. If I go to

Track view
I have 2 of every song listed. One of them has album art, one doesn't.

If I try to play one that doesn't have the art, it plays the previously playing song. E.g. I play song 1 then try to play song 2 and press song 2 without art, it starts song 1 again.

In the song properties, the one that works and has album art has /storage/extsdcard/music whereas the one that doesn't work is listed as just /music

Album view
I see quite a few duplicate albums listed but not every one. Again, there is an album with artwork and 1 without. The difference I see now is it says the album name and the Artist name listed on the ones with album art. On the ones without album art, it has things like 'Unknown artist' 'Various' 'Various Artists'. But in each album is the same tracks listed.

Genre View
I see a genre such as Folk and in it I see artists. If I press an artist I see albums by that artist - all fine. If I press an album, I see duplicated tracks listed as 101, 102, 103... and then the same tracks labelled 1, 2, 3.... The 10x tracks don't play. It skips to the first track with the correct track number.

I hope this info can be helpful to fix the problem. I have cleared my entire library off the device and resynced completely to try to fix this. It takes a long time to do this each time and I'd like to fix it once and for all.
MMW Gold 4.1.6.1728
MMA Beta 1.1.2.0415
Win 7 x64
adamg

Post by adamg »

i am having the same exact problem:
Unread postby gicronin » June 23rd, 2014, 6:37 am

Hi, I also have problems with duplicates.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S5 on 4.4.2 with Media Monkey Android version 1.0.5.0259

I've synced over a load of tracks and under 10 playlists. There is a main playlist with all the songs in then playlists with groups of the same songs in genre groups so I can play selections of songs from a couple of different genres on shuffle.

I have the same problem as described by some others. If I go to

Track view
I have 2 of every song listed. One of them has album art, one doesn't.

If I try to play one that doesn't have the art, it plays the previously playing song. E.g. I play song 1 then try to play song 2 and press song 2 without art, it starts song 1 again.

In the song properties, the one that works and has album art has /storage/extsdcard/music whereas the one that doesn't work is listed as just /music

Album view
I see quite a few duplicate albums listed but not every one. Again, there is an album with artwork and 1 without. The difference I see now is it says the album name and the Artist name listed on the ones with album art. On the ones without album art, it has things like 'Unknown artist' 'Various' 'Various Artists'. But in each album is the same tracks listed.

Genre View
I see a genre such as Folk and in it I see artists. If I press an artist I see albums by that artist - all fine. If I press an album, I see duplicated tracks listed as 101, 102, 103... and then the same tracks labelled 1, 2, 3.... The 10x tracks don't play. It skips to the first track with the correct track number.

I hope this info can be helpful to fix the problem. I have cleared my entire library off the device and resynced completely to try to fix this. It takes a long time to do this each time and I'd like to fix it once and for all.
* running android app version 1.0.5.0259
* windows version to sync with 4.1.3.1707 portable mode
* also, when scanning for new files, it seems to take much too long (a few hours to find 4500 songs - 28gb)
* also, when i sync from the pc to the phone, and i have just a few files to add, via the sync, the desktop version will say there is not enough room on the phone, although i know there is. i wonder if this duplicating issue could be the source of this issue?
Mediamonkey Lifetime since 2012
My favorite scripts:
RegExp Find and Replace by Zvezdan http://solair.eunet.rs/~zvezdand/RegExpReplace.htm
GenreFinder by Trixmoto http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... re-finder/
Earliest Release Date by wxdude http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=66766
MagicNodes by Zvezdan http://solair.eunet.rs/~zvezdand/MagicNodes.htm
Tagging Inconsistencies by Bex http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... istencies/
Moonraker0

Post by Moonraker0 »

I've been getting duplicates pretty much as long as I've had this phone. For example, with an album for which I only have one song, I get two albums showing up in the album list view (neither has album art). Each of them has that one song, but only one of them works. I also get many albums which only show up once in the album list, but each song appears twice. Some of them have the correct track number, but I've noticed that others have ones which seem to include the disc number, such as track #103 (disc 1 track 3), or #302 (disc 3 track 2). The songs are all on my 32GB SD card, and I've also noticed that when there are two copies of a single song showing up, one points to the file on /storage/sdcard1, while the other points to the file on /storage/extsdcard. I've looked it in the file manager and I believe that sdcard1 is the only one which appears to exist, and extsdcard is not something I can find.

[*]Motorola Droid 4
[*]Android version 4.1.2
[*]MediaMonkey for Android version 1.1.0.0352
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Moonraker,

I suspect that this is an artifact from testing on earlier beta versions of MMA/MMW. Can you try the following?

1) Update to the latest version of MMW Beta (4.1.6.1723 as of today): http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 10#p399358
2) Manually delete the duplicate empty files by going (in MMA) to Folders/Library/storage/extsdcard and deleting all of the files that exist there. Also, go to Playlists and delete all of your playlists in MMA.
3) In MMA, initiate a Wi-Fi Sync (make sure not to delete any playlists from MMW if it prompts you to).
4) Check whether 'phantom files' are still being synced to the device. If yes, please post a debug log ID to this thread (MMA Context Menu > About > Submit logs).

Thanks!

-Rusty
Moonraker0

Post by Moonraker0 »

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've completed the steps you wanted me to try. Syncing with Wi-Fi had some other issues and took a while, but it's finished now, and there are no more duplicate tracks. I haven't tried USB syncing yet, but hopefully that doesn't cause the duplication to happen again. I usually sync over USB because my primary computer is on a semi-public network and I'm not sure if wi-fi sync would work here. Also, I was in a rush to get the first message posted, so I forgot to mention that I use two different computers to sync my files. Both of them are set to automatically synchronize everything once it's plugged in and MediaMonkey is running. I just sync everything with whichever computer I'm using when I remember to do a sync. Both PCs' MediaMonkey libraries should be the same because I keep my music on Google Drive. Soon I should have the time to work up the courage to do another USB sync, and hope that it doesn't mess everything up and make me re-sync all my files again. Thanks again for your help, and I'll report back/submit a bug report if something goes wrong again.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Note that although the music from both PCs is the same, their databases aren't. Which means that information about the synchronization state isn't shared which would result in the dups you're experiencing.

This is a known issue that we'd like to resolve, and is tracked at:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=9941

Thanks.

-Rusty
artworksmetal

The dreaded duplicate problem

Post by artworksmetal »

I have spent hours trying different fixes on the duplicate track listings on my Tab 4. It's a shame, because MMW has been my friend and lover for 10 years. MMA is becoming my arch-nemesis.
MMA thinks I have 3632 tracks. There are actually 1904, as confirmed by both MMW and Samsungs File Manager.
An example of a duplicate location is:
/storage/extSDCard/Android/data/com.ventismedia.android.mediamonkey/files/Music/John Adams/Gnarly Buttons/ etc....
That's the actual location.
The bogus one is: /Music/John Adams/etc...
I've tried telling MMA to ignore that empty folder. I get "This folder cannot be disabled because it's configured for synced content."
I'm not using internal storage but I change all the folders on the internal device to /Video just for laughs. That didn't work.
I deleted the folder /Music on internal storage. OH NO! MMA still sees it. Or pretends it does.
Where do I go from here. To the Monkey House?

And yes, I'm using the latest versions of everything.

Edit: forgot to mention, I also tried using both a W8 and a W7 PC as servers.
MM Gold since 2005
MMA Pro since 7/14

The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself.
Oscar Wilde