Playlists - Dual Randomization ... why?

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

creativconfusion

Playlists - Dual Randomization ... why?

Post by creativconfusion »

It appears as though there is a two staged randomization which takes place upon playback from a playlist.

Stage 1:
When I go to a playlist and press the little play button (with a tiny random sign) at the top of the screen, that playlist gets randomized on its way over to being "Now Playing".

This means that if my playlist originally was as follows:
1) aaa
2) bbb
3) ccc

It appears in the Now Playing list as (or some variant of):
1) ccc
2) aaa
3) bbb

Stage 2:
If "Random" is enabled during playback, the track played jumps around within the already randomized list such that the play order goes 2, 1, 3 (or something similar).

What is the point of randomizing these twice?

Why isn't the little button shown on the playlist screen just a regular play button and not a randomize button since we already have a button to turn random on or off?

The only reason I ask is that it seems as though there is absolutely no benefit to randomize the track order if you are already randomizing your playback order. I would much rather my playlist gets entered into Now Playing as I constructed it and then I can choose to make my playback random or not. Once it is brought into Now Playing in a random order, there is no way to unscramble it. It seems so strange to offer the quick option to play randomly but not normally...

Here is my request: When in the Playlist selection screen, have two buttons, one for randomized and one to just play the tracks as you had them originally ordered. So, one button for random play, and another for regular play.

Thanks!
-John

*Edit: I realize that you can hold down on a playlist to put a checkmark next to it and that brings up a second set of play buttons and those contain a button that is regular play. But my question still stands. Why does it take more actions to get to standard play than to get to shuffled play?
Lowlander

Re: Playlists - Dual Randomization ... why?

Post by Lowlander »

The point is that you can either use standard Shuffle or add files Randomized to the Now Playing and play them in order (so you know which is next and which have already been played.

Select files/folders in any view to expose the Play and Play Last options instead of using the Play Random option.
creativconfusion

Right, I understand that.
It just seems counter intuitive to have easier access to random play than standard play.
If you look at almost any other app, you click on a playlist and it brings up a sub header with options for Play, Random, etc. In this case you can either random play with one click, or you have to hold down on the list and wait for the sub menu to pop up, and then click play. More clicks for standard than random.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

creativconfusion wrote:If you look at almost any other app, you click on a playlist and it brings up a sub header with options for Play, Random, etc.
creativconfusion wrote:or you have to hold down on the list and wait for the sub menu to pop up, and then click play.
Sounds like the same procedure?

It seems from that that playing a Playlist in order works the same as other Apps, but that Random Play can be done quicker.
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

Hi creativconfusion,
Are you aware that tapping any song in the playlist queues that playlist to Now Playing in its original order? If one wants to start the playlist from the first song and play it in order, they can do so by tapping the first song in the list.

The Randomize And Play button adds functionality on that screen. It provides a single tap option to play the list randomized. A Play In Order button, on the other hand, would duplicate the functionality of tapping the first song in the list.
Remember when Last.fm had those cool imagegen charts for use in signatures?
creativconfusion

I honestly did not know that. Thanks!
I was sure I had used the app enough at this point to know how everything worked, but I guess that's not the case.
I just always use random play so I guess I am not incredibly knowledgeable on the finer points of linear play.

Thanks guys, I'll drop the issue. Haha.