Initial scanning very slow on Android

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

theonlyrick

Initial scanning very slow on Android

Post by theonlyrick »

Hi - I've got the latest MMW Gold (4.1.4.1709) and the latest MMA Pro.

I would like to how long is reasonable to wait for the initial scan to finish when syncing.

I have a Samsung Note 3 with syncing set up on the internal memory and the SD card.

I'm trying to sync just two albums onto each. When I sync by Wifi, there is no waiting for it to start.

When I sync by USB I get this for 10 minutes or more:

Both the internal and external scan have taken ages at different times. I think sometimes I've waited longer than 10 minutes before giving up.

The internal memory is 32GB, with not much free space. My SD card is 128GB (Come on!) but basically empty. How long is reasonable for the initial scan? Am I just being impatient?

Thanks, Richard
Lowlander

Re: Initial scanning very slow on Android

Post by Lowlander »

Are you on Android 4.4?

I think capturing this in a debug log (step 4b) and sending the log to support is the best way forward: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=12&t=69
theonlyrick

Post by theonlyrick »

Will do, thanks.

R.
theonlyrick

Post by theonlyrick »

Hi,

I'm on Android 4.3

A couple of times scanning has finished of its own accord, however twice I've waited 5-10 minutes but immediately that I kill the explorer.exe process in Task Manager, the scan finishes and I'm able to start syncing. I'm certain the timing isn't coincidental.

I haven't attached a debug log because: I start recording a debug log, plug in the phone to USB, go to MediaMonkey and click on External SD to tell MM to start scanning the SD card. It's only when scanning has finished (perhaps because I killed explorer.exe) and that file transfers start, that anything appears in the log.

Any ideas what options I should enable to scan what's needed?

Thanks, R.
theonlyrick

Post by theonlyrick »

Hi - Can anyone tell me how roughly long I should wait for scanning to finish (before declaring it faulty/crashed)?

1 second?
1 minute?
10 minutes?
30 minutes?

I've just installed the latest (portable) debug version of MM.

The internal memory of the phone finished scanning in about 10 seconds. It has no music.
The external is still going after about 2 minutes. It has about 80GB of music.

How long is too long?

Thanks, Richard
theonlyrick

Post by theonlyrick »

Does a first time scan take longer than subsequent scans?

Also, should I expect to see my media appear in the Device node of MMW *during* the scan, or does it all appear in one go at the end?

This is a first time scan, but after 5 minutes I haven't seen a single song appear in the Device node:

Cheers, Richard
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Send a debug log as suggested above. Make sure you do install the Debug Version of MediaMonkey and if DBGView doesn't show anything run it as Administrator. Also start DBGView prior to connecting your device.
theonlyrick

Post by theonlyrick »

Hi - I should have re-iterated what I said earlier: that the debug 'recording' process wasn't capturing anything.

I have a full step-by-step from Ventis support that should sort out the earlier problems. Now I have a support ticket, I'll take this conversation out of this thread. Will post results back here, though.

Cheers, R.
dip

Post by dip »

Did you find a solution?
I just bought a Sony Xperia Z3 compact running Android 4.4 and have the same problem. Scanning of the internal and external SD card takes at least 10 minutes or longer. After scanning finished synchronization works without problems. But scanning takes again ages each time I connect via USB. I use MMW Gold (4.1.4.1709) and have about 55 GB music on my external 64 GB SD card. On my internal SD card there is no music.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

They've been working on Android 4.4 issues in the latest betas of MMW and MMA so if you have issues you should try those.
dip

Post by dip »

I installed now MM 4.1.5.1717 RC and have the same problem. Scanning of my external SD card took over 1 hour (the 10 minutes mentioned in my previous post was wrong).
Obviously you cannot use autosynchronization on a regular basis if the inititial scanning takes so long.
I hope this will be fixed soon.
RobF

Post by RobF »

I have the same thing as others, it's absolutely horrible, I am just about done with MM. HTC One M8 running Android 4.4 with music on 60 GB SD card, it takes 2 hours or more on an automated scan upon plugging in, or on the scan necessary prior to synchronisation. To cap it off, MM routinely confuses the device Internal drive for its SD card (and vice versa) so I have to unplug and plug in again which is another 2 hour scan.

I've already had to limit syncs to once a week but this is still 3-4 hours of device management with several interventions overnight before and after sleeping. I have been an MM gold user for nearly a decade now and recommended the software to many people. Yet there is no piece of software that messes with my life more than MM - the number of times I'm late to work or up all night just because of how MM operates.

I'd love to know who MM's target customer is (i.e. who they prioritise perfecting the software for) as I ran it with an iPhone 4 for 3 years and the experience got worse and worse (slow syncs, missed tracks etc) so purposely bought an Android for no other reason that compatibility with MM but now I have 2 hour scans, plus use a plug-in to import music ratings back first, which itself takes an hour and always misses tracks.

If there was a better piece of software that could cope with a 400gb home library and 25gb device library and had even some of the basic features of MM, I would be gone. If it doesn't work properly for iPhone or Android, what market is MM designed for? :(
theonlyrick

Post by theonlyrick »

I've temporarily given up on syncing with MM.

I have logged a ticket with their support site. As one of the earlier posters mentioned, they've been doing work on android syncing.

Certainly the latest beta version of MM Windows I installed massively improved the speed of the initial sync (although a couple of times I still needed to kill the explorer process in task manager).

At the moment though, it's not syncing ratings and that's what I really want.

I live in hope.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If the issue is with USB connection/sync send a debug log (step 4b) capturing the problem with the latest beta to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... f=12&t=341
MonkeyStrut

Post by MonkeyStrut »

RobF wrote:I have the same thing as others, it's absolutely horrible, I am just about done with MM. HTC One M8 running Android 4.4 with music on 60 GB SD card, it takes 2 hours or more on an automated scan upon plugging in, or on the scan necessary prior to synchronisation. To cap it off, MM routinely confuses the device Internal drive for its SD card (and vice versa) so I have to unplug and plug in again which is another 2 hour scan.

I've already had to limit syncs to once a week but this is still 3-4 hours of device management with several interventions overnight before and after sleeping. I have been an MM gold user for nearly a decade now and recommended the software to many people. Yet there is no piece of software that messes with my life more than MM - the number of times I'm late to work or up all night just because of how MM operates.

I'd love to know who MM's target customer is (i.e. who they prioritise perfecting the software for) as I ran it with an iPhone 4 for 3 years and the experience got worse and worse (slow syncs, missed tracks etc) so purposely bought an Android for no other reason that compatibility with MM but now I have 2 hour scans, plus use a plug-in to import music ratings back first, which itself takes an hour and always misses tracks.

If there was a better piece of software that could cope with a 400gb home library and 25gb device library and had even some of the basic features of MM, I would be gone. If it doesn't work properly for iPhone or Android, what market is MM designed for? :(
I'm using an Xperia Z1 running Kitkat 4.4.4 and had the same problem with all versions of MMW-MMA and Android verions before. Moreover, I have MMW Gold. Each time there is an update, I think that would finally work but it never works. I'm so disappointed that I'm about to quit MMA for another more friendly app as sync doesn't work.

(PS: It takes ages to scan the external SD card even if totally empty!)