Linux.... mediamonkey.... meant to be..?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Would you use mediamonkey on ubuntu?

You may select 1 option

View results

EowynCarter

Re: Ubuntu.... mediamonkey.... meant to be..?

Post by EowynCarter »

So ? Any news there ?
ronnz98

Post by ronnz98 »

Hi,

a linux version would be great!
There is no software on linix yet, that provides the functionality as mediamonke does.

Best regards,
Ronald
Elandron

Post by Elandron »

I have had some success installing MediaMonkey on Ubuntu 14.04 using PlayonLinux (a WINE bottle tool). I've not done excessive testing, skins being the only problem at the moment that I've found, the non-skinned version works with everything I've tried so far.

Does anyone want some instructions?
joltman

Post by joltman »

I would love some instructions. It'd be great to have a "server" version of MediaMonkey that my wife and I can share. Thanks!
heronheart

Post by heronheart »

Instructions. Yes please.
Do you have the media server working?

Post by Guest »

Apologies, not doing this slightly earlier.

Headlines - media server, yes, streamed a movie to the tv via the wifi enabled blu-ray last night and I'm listening to music an my Samsung S3 as I type this.

Caveats - Only the non-skinned version appears to have a fully functional UI. More on the later.

Ok, these are broad brush instructions so bear with them and I'll add detail if people seem to struggle.

Read through this first before setting out...you've been warned

1 - Install Playonlinux (POL) from the Ubuntu software centre (or use the .rpm or .deb file for your distro)
2 - Set up a "Wine bottle" for mediamonkey (check the playonlinux website)
3 - Install all the bits as advised here using the console and the Install tab on the POL configure (http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ediaMonkey)
4 - You do NOT need to download winetricks; it comes as part of POL
5 - DO NOT remove the various dll; they make no difference at all; I've not tested an iPod YET
6 - Try the media server, but if it doesn't work then you made need to install Samba; just seems to work out of the box once installed on Ubuntu (no promises though)

Some people get upset about the skins thing. You can go part of the way there by using different Windows themes (you need to download and then install them via the POL/winetrick configuration.

Let me know how you get on because the all seems really simple; I know I played with quite a few things that didn't make things any better.

Bon voyage and happy listening

Post by Guest »

IMPORTANT NOTE: Set the Windows version to Windows 2003 ***
Elandron

Post by Elandron »

Apologies, much posting in a rush. (see 2 guest posts above!)

I also have skins working, with the caveat that downloaded ones seem to lose the "file explorer" bar on the left but the preinstalled seem fine. I'm happy running it in unskinned mode because I use it as a server mainly.

Sync for an iPod is still and issue via the USB, but that is for another day.
Jodli

Post by Jodli »

Hm still does only work only very basic for me (on debian).
Everything is pretty laggy and it seems, mp3-files cant be played (which I should be able to resolve) but most importantly systemwide keyboard-shortcuts are not working.

I really hope a "real" linux-proof mm-version will be around the corner someday :D

Post by Guest »

Hey guys, i recently abandoned all windows and apple products and completely went for linux. But now i want to change back to windows ONLY because of the service mediamonkey offered me. I think there is a huge market for a linux/ubuntu-version of mediamonkey, as it's widely used and there is not a single program which offers the excellent service mediamonkey did. I just want it to:
*play media
*monitor some folders (like \downloads) for new media
*move the new media to the library-folder-system (like it does in windows)
*update metadata automatically from the web

just these 'basic' functionalities would already make a unique program which i would prefer above all the other programs on ubuntu 14.04 today (which require me to manually do the organizing-shizl), and i think a lot of other users agree with me as well... There are 4000 votes of people wanting this on ubuntu, and i think for every person voting on this forum, there are 10 others wanting this but not voting... Sooooo... cmon guys, just a cheap fatsat windowsversion-ripoff which offers basic functionality, i would use it right away!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Why settle with only half. I want full blown MM on Linux ;)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Jodli

Post by Jodli »

Peke wrote:Why settle with only half. I want full blown MM on Linux ;)
Sounds good. Ill take that please :D

Are there any news you can give us?
I would prefer something like "A linux-version will be out by tomorrow"^^
money for jam

Post by money for jam »

Yes Please Linux!!

I wonder if it would help if we started a "Please make a linux version" donation fund?
I wonder how much it would take to get some action?
going crazy w/o MM

Post by going crazy w/o MM »

I think I'm loosin my mind trying to live without Mediamonkey. Nothing else is as good.
I've read and tried and fiddled with them all - I'm sitting here crying because I'm just so frustrated with the available players.
I think all I can do now is pray to the Gods Of Music for help.
going crazy w/o MM

Post by going crazy w/o MM »

money for jam wrote:Yes Please Linux!!

I wonder if it would help if we started a "Please make a linux version" donation fund?
I wonder how much it would take to get some action?
I'd gladly donate