Properties dialog: Non-modal, more properties, hyperlinks

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

tj_junk

Properties dialog: Non-modal, more properties, hyperlinks

Post by tj_junk »

The file properties dialog:
  • 1) Non-modal - If non-modal, the user would be able to access the grid or run scripts (e.g., "Copy MetaData" or lookup tags in WebNodes) while the properties window is open.

2) Show all supported tags - Noticeably missing for music is "Producer". It is available in the grid, but not in the Properties dialog, which makes batch edits challenging.
    (NOTE: Lowlander pointed out that Producer is not a standard audio tag, but is already on the request list.)

3) Support hyperlinks - It would be nice if hyperlinks could be supported in the Comments field. But, if that's not possible, then at least add support for the id3v2 URL tags, such as "Official artist/performer webpage" and "User defined URL link frame", of which there can be multiple. (See http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0#URL_link_frames.)

4) Resize - This request is mostly for the Artwork tab. Whenever i try to manage a file that has several image attachments, I'm constantly trying to resize the properties dialog, which obviously doesn't work.
Last edited by tj_junk on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lowlander

Re: Properties dialog: Non-modal, more properties, hyperlink

Post by Lowlander »

2) Producer isn't an audio tag, it's a video tag and a such available in the video Type Properties window.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Lowlander wrote:2) Producer isn't an audio tag, it's a video tag and a such available in the video Type Properties window.
So where would you put George Martin for all his Producer credits?
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is no Producer for Audio (http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0), a forum search should've given you the request to have it added.
tj_junk

Post by tj_junk »

Interesting. While Producer may not be a "standard" audio tag, obviously it exists. I have several thousand MP3 files that beg to differ. :D

In any case, it's one of the many fields that can be populated in the MM grids and are accessible from the MM column choosers. If MM supports them and the grids supports them, then so should Properties, imo -- even if it's just a simple "property/value" list (similar to the Properties windows in SSMS or Visual Studio).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It is not the same field, it isn't supported at the moment. If Producer was available for audio files you'd want it to be written to/read from files where tagging standards support it. As said there has already been a request to support the Producer field.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Lowlander wrote:There is no Producer for Audio (http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0), a forum search should've given you the request to have it added.
And how many years ago would that have been. Guess George Martin will have to change the title of what he does :). Can't image why something like Producer would have been bypassed in the design. :roll:
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
Wilber

Post by Wilber »

I used Helium for years, but have recently switched to MediaMonkey with a lifetime license.
I found this thread because I have discovered similar concerns regarding missing items.

Non-modal always on top would be nice, but not a deal breaker for me.

However, not having access to all available tags is a Real Problem.

Where is access to the URL tags? What about sub-titles?
I think there are about 8 WWW tags and 2 SubTitle tags.

There seems to be several tags that are fairly common yet can only be accessed via third party software, such as Mp3Tag, Helium, TagScanner, etc.
I really really wish to be able to access these items from within MM.
See http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0#Declared_ID3v2_frames for a list.

A program does not even have to be programmed for all specific tags, because any and all tags, custom or otherwise, can be obtained in a 'for' loop when the stream is opened.
An example of this can be found in FileTagSleuth which quickly roots out 'all' tags.
Another example is VLC, which at least has a tab pane in Media Info which shows all extra metadata in bulk, albeit not editable.

Also: a Re-sizable form is a Must!

Regarding the 'Custom' tags 1-5 :: it appears these only exist in the db, and not converted to named tags? Is that correct? This could be handled via TXXX tags.
For example: I have a lot of 'artists' with life-spans, e.g. Walther von der Vogelweide (c.1170 - c.1230)
It would be nice to be able to make a 'Born/Died' custom tag and actually have this inserted into the mp3 so that the information persisted when I sent them to someone.

Thanks for reading
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

As for custom tags 1-5, YES i believe that they are stored only in the db. I never understood why developers limit the number of fields (hard coding 1-5) but I do understand why they aren't in the files as there is no real place to put them.
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Custom fields are saved to the tags for some file types: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0.
Wilber

Post by Wilber »

I guess I'm like a lot of programmers who say "I'd have done it this way..." etc. etc. and second guess "the plan".

Now for the rant:

If I were to be allowed ONE and ONLY ONE wish list fulfillment, it would be RESIZABLE FORMS !

Nothing need persist, they [all the forms] can go back to design size at startup, but Please Please let me resize the forms to see the all details instead of forcing me to stop and move the little scroll bar up and down or right to left to get the info.

Things may look great on the development machines, but what about the other 49 million computers out there running MM?
[ Installed Units Source --> Random guess based on absolutely nothing ]

Windows was first released almost 29 years ago to the day, and the environment path dialog box is still 2" x 1".

Break Free of the Impressed Mold of Static Fixed Tyranny: PLEASE, Let the People Dynamically Resize !!
Wilber

Post by Wilber »

Regarding the Custom Fields:

I see what you're saying.

Inspecting the tags independently shows the Custom Fields are indeed in the mp3 file.

An example Circa/Birth-Death custom field where the data is: "(c. 1550-1602)"

Custom Field X Non-Standard (COMM:Songs-DB_CustomX)
// translates to //
Songs-DB_Custom1: (c. 1550-1602)

So, the info does indeed persist with the individual files outside of the local database.
Good to know.

Perhaps down the line at a later date a name/value pair might be considered so that the data is understandable should the file be transferred to a new machine or the custom field be retasked.

for example: name/value
"BirthDeath"/"(c. 1550-1602)"
would provide some portability.

... now, about those little fixed border forms...
Compulsive247

Auto open URL stored in custom field?

Post by Compulsive247 »

I currently have my acoustids stored in a Custom field. By appending http://acoustid.org/track to the beginning of the acoustid, I get a valid web address that allows me navigate to the acoustid website for that ID. Then I can quickly drill down and double check a particular song's artist & title, and whether or not two tracks really are duplicates. However, the process of copying the selected field and pasting to a browser gets a bit tedious. Is there a way to auto-open a browser using the stored URL for a currently playing track? My only work around so far is to copy the ID to a field that has the web-link arrows, but I don't want to overwrite any of the info in those fields. Any ideas?
Last edited by Lowlander on Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic