GETTING CD INFO

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MarieL

GETTING CD INFO

Post by MarieL »

I bought GOLD Lifetime today and ripped some CDs. How and why is it that my FREE version of RealPlayer is able to obtain CD info from web databases yet MediaMonkey is not able to get this data for the exact same CDs??? I have over 1000 CDs and having to manually type in CD names and all song titles is not something I want to do. If this is not fixable, how can I get a refund? In that case I'll look for a product that uses better CD databases.

Thanks for your help.
nohitter151

Re: GETTING CD INFO

Post by nohitter151 »

Try: Tools > Get album info from FreeDB.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Post by Guest »

nohitter151 wrote:Try: Tools > Get album info from FreeDB.
I've never been able to get that work (it's always grayed out and I have the Gold edition, too). When ripping, MM will go to FreeDB for data but I can't do so afterwards. FreeDB isn't all that great, either. Half of my CDs aren't on there (and MM doesn't have a provision to allow one to upload data to FreeDB) and for the ones that do have data there, the data is inaccurate or incomplete; I usually have to correct downloaded data or type it all in myself.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You need to select the CD node in the Media Tree for the option to be available.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Guest wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:Try: Tools > Get album info from FreeDB.
I've never been able to get that work (it's always grayed out and I have the Gold edition, too). When ripping, MM will go to FreeDB for data but I can't do so afterwards. FreeDB isn't all that great, either. Half of my CDs aren't on there (and MM doesn't have a provision to allow one to upload data to FreeDB) and for the ones that do have data there, the data is inaccurate or incomplete; I usually have to correct downloaded data or type it all in myself.
You can change the FreeDB provider to use MusicBrainz instead of the FreeDB database, it has better results in my experience.

Options > Network

Change protocol to HTTP
Change server name to freedb.musicbrainz.org

MarieL

Post by MarieL »

Thanks everyone!

I first selected my CD in the media tree, then
Tools > Get album info from FreeDB.
This did find and display the CD song titles, so I then ripped the CD and it came out OK.

I'll also try your suggestion of changing the web search database if needed.

Cheers!
J Eddy

Post by J Eddy »

I have o agree with MeriaL, I too just purchased MM Gold and was starting to load cd's that I was able to load info with two other programs that I have but MM does not want to find any of the CD Text? That would be an extreme amount of typing with my collection of 3000 albums! In one post a person mentioned to check and see if CD Text was checked in the cd drive....what does this mean?
Thanking anyone in advance for their answers.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Use Get album info from Freedb in the Tools menu. If is says that no information is found the Album isn't present in FreeDB. In that case you could try Auto-Tag from Web where you could type Artist - Album to find the correct info.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

J Eddy wrote:I have o agree with MeriaL, I too just purchased MM Gold and was starting to load cd's that I was able to load info with two other programs that I have but MM does not want to find any of the CD Text? That would be an extreme amount of typing with my collection of 3000 albums! In one post a person mentioned to check and see if CD Text was checked in the cd drive....what does this mean?
Thanking anyone in advance for their answers.
Commercial CDs almost never have any CD text.

After you loaded your CD just click to the CD node and use Tools > get album info from freeDB.

If you have no luck finding your CD info that way, try changing the search provider to musicbrainz like I already suggested in this thread.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/postin ... 0#pr350949

chetty

Post by chetty »

Tried all of this but it still does not work
AnotherJohn

Post by AnotherJohn »

Ok, so the original info when I plug in the cd is unknown. I click on the cd drive and get the info from freeDB. It shows the right info in the tree for the cd in the E: drive but still rips to the hard drive as unknown where I still have to type in all the data. I got ~1000 CDs so this is not going to work. BTW I have the Gold edition. Am I missing a step?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey?

Is the problem with the tags, the folder/filenames or both?
AnotherJohn

Post by AnotherJohn »

Version 4.1.29.1910

Guess its with everything except track number. I get all the unknowns to change in the CD drive but when it rips to the hard drive it all logs as unknown artist, unknown album and no song title. So all the folders are also unknown.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check the files on the disc before you Rip and make sure that it shows all the tags for the files on the disc.
AnotherJohn

Post by AnotherJohn »

Ok, so CD comes up unknown. I go to CD drive file and get info from Freedb. A dialog box comes up with two choices of info for the album. I have tried both and both show all the correct info. I click ok on the dialog box but that info does not transfer to what is being shown in the CD drive file which continues to show all info as unknown. What am I missing?