Shuffle should not invalidate Play Next

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Ceraus

Shuffle should not invalidate Play Next

Post by Ceraus »

I want to do these two things with the least hassle possible:
1. Start playback of a playlist in random order, either directly or starting from a song in the playlist.
2. During said playback, take a song from my library and have it play next.

Right now, "Play Next" and "Play Last" are entirely useless when Shuffle is on. I always want my playlists to be shuffled but can only enqueue them unshuffled, so either:
- I keep Shuffle off and whenever I start a playlist, I stop playback, go to Now Playing, right-click a song in there, click on List and Randomize List, then go back to the top, then double-click the first song;
- Or I keep Shuffle on and lose Play Next/Last functionality entirely.

Having a file play right after the current one (regardless of any setting) is baseline in many weaker music players. MediaMonkey's over-reliance on its "Now Playing" playlist seems to prevent it from offering this trivial feature.
Camus II

Re: Shuffle should not invalidate Play Next

Post by Camus II »

There's a plugin called Queue List which compensates for the omission:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=49575
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can Randomize the Now Playing instead of using Shuffle Play. Then play order is known and Play Next works.
Ceraus

Post by Ceraus »

Camus II wrote:There's a plugin called Queue List which compensates for the omission:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=49575
Thank you. Unfortunately, that plugin seems buggy on my machine.

Lowlander wrote:You can Randomize the Now Playing instead of using Shuffle Play. Then play order is known and Play Next works.
Yeah, that's one of the "solutions" I mentioned. But since "Randomize List" cannot be assigned a keyboard shortcut, this takes quite a few clicks too much for comfort.

Post by Guest »

Thank you. Unfortunately, that plugin seems buggy on my machine.
Yes it is, which underlines the problem of getting it included - in version 4 of MM at least.