Ripping error: Access is denied

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

swanstuff

Ripping error: Access is denied

Post by swanstuff »

Hi

I wonder if anyone can tell me what's gone wrong with my Media Monkey [Gold], please - or more usefully, how to fix it.

When I try to rip a CD into the MM library, as MP3 files, it spins for a while, and then I get an Error message, which says:

"Cannot delete C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\4DSF.wav. Access is denied. The file may be in use or you may not have access rights."

After I click "OK to all", another error message comes up, listing the tracks on the CD and saying that they cannot be created.

Thank you for any help you can give.
Lowlander

Re: Ripping error: Access is denied

Post by Lowlander »

That means MediaMonkey doesn't have rights from Windows to remove the temp files from the Temp folder. Either give the rights in Windows Explorer or change the Temp folder to a location with enough rights in the MediaMonkey Options.
swanstuff

Post by swanstuff »

Thank you for the message. It gave me a clue, and I followed up on how I might give the rights to the folder (I'm no techie), the Google search actually taking me back to another thread on this forum.

I thought I'd cracked it, when I went to Windows Explorer (on my old XP machine here), and then navigated to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp. When I right-clicked on that Temp folder, the only thing that seemed to make sense was to change the green square in the "Read Only" option to a white square. I thought that would do it, but I'm afraid it brought up the exact same error.

Where did I go wrong, please?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Right click on the Folder and select Properties. From there you should see a tab named Security, which allows you to manage access rights.
swanstuff

Post by swanstuff »

Thank you once again. I still can't get this to work, after taking the following steps. I wonder if you've any advice for me, or if this has gone outside of being a MM problem...

I've located the folder again, and right clicked. Properties gives me three tabs - General, Sharing, and Customise.
In General, I removed 'read only'.
In Sharing I made sure that both the following were ticked: 'Share this folder on the network' and 'Allow network users to change my files'. [It's only me that uses this PC and the others in my home].

I also decided to give MM a hand and delete [to the recycle bin] a bunch of files in this folder, so I removed all .tmp and .wav files that were less than 2 years old. However, there were 12 files that it couldn't remove (Access is denied - disc may be full or write protected or in use ... same message even after closing MM first). These files are all from the last few days, and are the same one(s) that MM fives me the error message about: they have names like ~DFA71E.temp, and are mostly 32kb in size, with one @ 20kb, one @ 1kb, and two @ 16kb. My guess is that the times / dates of their creation correspond roughly to the attempts I've made at ripping via MM.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's a Windows rights issue, not a MediaMonkey issue.

You can change the Temp folder to a different location (Tools > Options > General) if you don't have access rights options in Windows Explorer.
swanstuff

Post by swanstuff »

Hello again, and thank you once more for your patient reply.

I did as you suggested, and gave MM a new temp directory at C:\Documents and Settings\MediaMonkeyTemp\

I tried ripping a cd once more, and it took forever to do the first part (analyse volume, I think it says), but then ... the same error: unable to delete a temp file from the new location!

What I am struggling to understand is why MM has ripped satisfacdtorily for several years, and now, suddenly - and without me changing anything - this error has arisen. I am just a simple home-user; no-one else uses the PC, and there's no fancy set-up: I have no idea how to change rights in Windows, and have never amended them to prevent MM from working.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

swanstuff wrote:Hello again, and thank you once more for your patient reply.

I did as you suggested, and gave MM a new temp directory at C:\Documents and Settings\MediaMonkeyTemp\

I tried ripping a cd once more, and it took forever to do the first part (analyse volume, I think it says), but then ... the same error: unable to delete a temp file from the new location!

What I am struggling to understand is why MM has ripped satisfacdtorily for several years, and now, suddenly - and without me changing anything - this error has arisen. I am just a simple home-user; no-one else uses the PC, and there's no fancy set-up: I have no idea how to change rights in Windows, and have never amended them to prevent MM from working.
What operating system is on the PC? C:\Documents and Settings\ is probably not under your user's access rights assuming you have an OS newer than XP.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
swanstuff

Post by swanstuff »

Hi Nohitter
No - it's a tired old XP machine ... but I only use it for MediaMonkey, and until now it works fine ... and besides this is the machine that I have my paid-for MM on.

Post by Guest »

swanstuff said: (analyse volume, I think it says)
Is 'Level Track Volume' enabled in the Rip CD dialog? If it is, try ripping without it, as a test.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hi everyone,

For the last couple of days I seem to be having this same problem... but none of the suggestions made so far have worked for me.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit, and initially it was MediaMonkey 4.1.13.1801 when the problem started. One of my early attempts at a cure was to check for updates, and so I'm now on 4.1.14.1813 - the result has been the same with both versions.

I insert the CD to rip and it goes through the 'converting' files stage. It then goes through 'analyzing volume' track by track until the end, and then I get the error box saying:
"Cannot delete
C:\Users\end user\AppData\Local\Temp\****.wav
Access is denied. File is in use or you may not have access rights"

I have already tried the following, which are solutions some of you MM genii (geniuses?) have made that have sorted it out before...
1) Use Task Manager to make sure nothing else is running, and that there is only one MM loaded.
2) Tried specifying a different Temp folder location to one where I have full access rights via Tools > Options > General
3) Delved into the AppData folder and made sure that access rights are applied to everything that might be relevant (I hope I haven't screwed up any other programmes doing that..!)
4) Checked file/folder ownership.

None of these has made any difference. If I had any hair I'd be tearing it out! Please... Can anyone suggest anything in non-techie terms that I may have missed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Roger
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Try closing MM and any other windows/explorer, etc. (also check TM to see if MM is def.closed) > restart and "don't click on/play any files".
Only set things up to do the convert process/analyze selecting > run it and see if you get the message.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Rover

Post by Rover »

Thanks for the suggestion, MMFrLife. I've just done exactly as you said, even though I'm 99.9% certain I've already tried it (to be fair, I'm starting to lose track of all the different variations I have tried :-? !) Unfortunately though, it didn't make the slightest difference, so no further ahead...

As someone has already said before, it's probably a Windows issue and nothing to do with MediaMonkey itself, but it's only in MM that I've noticed a problem.

Thanks again
Roger
LightFoot

CD Ripping Error Message

Post by LightFoot »

Greetings ~ for quite some time I have not been able to rip CDs. These are commercial, purchased, CDs. MMW will go through the whole process of converting and analyzing, then I get this message: "Cannot delete c:\Users\lightfoot\AppData\Local\Temp\49BF.wav. Access is denied. File may be in use or you may not have access rights." After getting that message, the process aborts and the music is not uploaded.

The Windows user account shown is mine, and I sign in to it normally. The path shown in the message is valid. There is no file of that name in that location or any other location on my hard drive.

Need help getting this resolved please. I have several CDs awaiting upload. Thank you.

LightFoot
Last edited by Lowlander on Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
What is you destination format?
Can you make Screenshot of Rip dialog?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts