Extremely slow syncing of iPod

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

RabanePaco

Extremely slow syncing of iPod

Post by RabanePaco »

It takes about 6 hours to sync 300 songs. Still 14k songs to go.

I'm reinstalled the (apple) software on my 160 GB iPad through iTunes and I am now resyncing it through USB (of course). Much of of my music has to be transcoded from FLAC to ALAC. Still my computer mostly is idling (0.1 % CPU load, etc.)

Most of the time MM shows "Copying [song]" but the iPod only shows Connected, not Syncing.
Last edited by RabanePaco on Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
        -- RabanePaco

MM 4.1.14.1813, RegExp Find & Replace
System: Windows 10, 64 bits, all updates. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5, 3.20GHz, 4 Core(s), 8 GB main memory, 250 GB SSD, etc.
NetGear NAS 2 TB, 822 albums, 14+ k tracks, 110 GB, 10000 hours playinmg time.
SqueezeBox Duet, iPod (classic)
Lowlander

Re: Extremely slow syncing of iPod

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey, iOS and iTunes?
RabanePaco

Post by RabanePaco »

Thanks for the fast reply!

MM 4.1.xx
iTunes 12.5.xx on Windows 10

Could it be that my iPod HD is defect?

I can't open the iPod in Windows explorer. It sasy: "Insert device in H:" (or similar). (This was the reason I reinstalled thee iPod).
Also it fails to sync a small batch of songs. Error msg from MM. Although the iPod did show some songs before after an earlier sync, now is say "No Music", "No Songs", etc.

How can I test the iPod HD?
        -- RabanePaco

System: Windows 10, 64 bits, all updates. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5, 3.20GHz, 4 Core(s), 8 GB main memory, 250 GB SSD, etc.
Peke

Post by Peke »

You should try latest http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 54426&sd=d but "Insert device in H:" (or similar) usually point to hardware problem. Have you tried to do factory reset even it will loose all the data on device?

Here is one interesting read about upgrading iPod Classic http://www.alphr.com/audio/1001325/turb ... ith-an-ssd
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Can you tell us the exact version numbers? Especially MM has had 14 releases of MM 4.1.
RabanePaco

Post by RabanePaco »

MM version 4.1.14.1813.

But I suspect mostly the Hard Drive of the iPod.

I'll look at it tomorrow, probably.
        -- RabanePaco

RabanePaco

Post by RabanePaco »

Peke wrote: "Insert device in H:" (or similar) usually point to hardware problem. Have you tried to do factory reset even it will loose all the data on device?
I did reinstall the OS through iTunes. That seemed to work. But the problems (non accessible iPod) reappeared.
Here is one interesting read about upgrading iPod Classic http://www.alphr.com/audio/1001325/turb ... ith-an-ssd
I had seen it already. Interesting. But a hard job, it seems. Maybe it is time to go forward and leave the iPod behind. I'm start missing Bluetooth on it. Also, however it remains a beautiful machine, the iPod is dated and the interface has it shortcomings.

Thanks for your help!
        -- RabanePaco

NewtonBoy

Post by NewtonBoy »

RabanePaco wrote:I had seen it already. Interesting. But a hard job, it seems. Maybe it is time to go forward and leave the iPod behind. I'm start missing Bluetooth on it. Also, however it remains a beautiful machine, the iPod is dated and the interface has it shortcomings.
I did this with my iPod Video a couple of years ago. It was not that difficult. As long as you're careful, it works quite nicely.

While the interface is no longer that great by today's standards, the hardware still provides some of the highest quality audio output out there. I use mine with a Fiio E17K headphone amp, and it blows the doors off of almost anything else I've tried for portable use. (except the newer Fiio players, but those are expensive.)

Bluetooth is a dealbreaker, though. I refuse to use it for audio, but it's hard to argue with the convenience.
Media Monkey Gold 4.1.14.1813 Portable
Windows 10 anniversary, i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD, Library on External drive
14MB Media Monkey Database
929 GB Library
RabanePaco

Post by RabanePaco »

NewtonBoy wrote:
RabanePaco wrote:I had seen it already. Interesting. But a hard job, it seems.
I did this with my iPod Video a couple of years ago. It was not that difficult. As long as you're careful, it works quite nicely.
Thanks. Good to hear.
While the interface is no longer that great by today's standards, the hardware still provides some of the highest quality audio output out there. I use mine with a Fiio E17K headphone amp, and it blows the doors off of almost anything else I've tried for portable use. (except the newer Fiio players, but those are expensive.)

Bluetooth is a dealbreaker, though. I refuse to use it for audio, but it's hard to argue with the convenience.
You probably mean that the iPod has a high quality DAC? I have wondered about this, but never checked.
Do you know there are special Bluetooth interfaces for the iPod? They go into the digital interface. Check eBay, and Google it! Newest Bluetooth, although I assume not really HiFi, is quite good. I have the new Bose sports earplugs and I am very happy with them.

I might reconsider dumping my iPad. Upgrading is a challenge,and an upgraded, up-to-date iPod is very special.

It seems to be possible to jailbreak an iPod and install another OS. Do you have experience with this?

[Yes, I know, we are getting off-topic.]
        -- RabanePaco

RabanePaco

Apple iPod diagnostics

Post by RabanePaco »

I had problems with iPod synchronization, which turned out to be caused by hard disk failure, probably.

Googling about apple HD problems I came across that the iPod has a diagnostics mode.
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere in the Mediamonkey forum.

The result of the HD test for me was
  • Retracts: 1498
    Reallocs: 618
    Pending Sectors: 0
    PowerOn Hours: 326
    Start/Stops: 116
    Temp: Current 25c
    Temp: Min 14c (I'm sure my iPod has been < 0 C; so much for the test)
    Temp: Max 55c
The essential figure is the Reallocs. The number of faulty sectors. Pretty high, so probably the drive is dying. Retracts doesn't say that much.
However after the test the iPod seems to have been revived. I keep my fingers crossed and keep prepared for failure.
I hope this info helps someone else.
        -- RabanePaco

RabanePaco

Post by RabanePaco »

In another post I write about a diagnostic test for an iPod.
It seems that after the test the iPod has been revived. I keep my fingers crossed and keep prepared for failure.
        -- RabanePaco

NewtonBoy

Post by NewtonBoy »

RabanePaco wrote:You probably mean that the iPod has a high quality DAC? I have wondered about this, but never checked.
Do you know there are special Bluetooth interfaces for the iPod? They go into the digital interface. Check eBay, and Google it! Newest Bluetooth, although I assume not really HiFi, is quite good. I have the new Bose sports earplugs and I am very happy with them.

I might reconsider dumping my iPad. Upgrading is a challenge,and an upgraded, up-to-date iPod is very special.

It seems to be possible to jailbreak an iPod and install another OS. Do you have experience with this?
As I recall the early iPods use a Wolfson DAC. I'm not an Audiophool, but it's a solid DAC that still measures well, unless you get into the higher quality (price) devices. I'm not saying I can hear the difference, but it makes me happy knowing there is a difference.

I've heard good things about the "Not cheap crap" bluetooth modules for the iPod. My knocks against Bluetooth have less to do with sound quality, than implementation. In my car, my Phone is on bluetooth, and I can have only one device connected. (They don't make a big enough card for me to store my music on my phone.) I plug in through the USB port for voice commands. For portable, bluetooth headphones are either too big and bulky (headsets), never stay in if I move around too much (earbuds connected to each other with a wire), or, IMO, look dorky (the collar things with the earbuds.) I've been using portable media players for so long, I don't even notice the wire anymore. Otherwise, I have a set of wireless Sennheisers for work, nice earbuds for portable, a big system at home, or really nice wired headphones for when I'm sitting and listening.

Yes, you can put "RockBox" on your iPod to replace the iPod OS. I've had mixed feelings about it. I use mine with iPod OS mostly, because RockBox does not work as well as the iPod OS with my car..
Media Monkey Gold 4.1.14.1813 Portable
Windows 10 anniversary, i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD, Library on External drive
14MB Media Monkey Database
929 GB Library
RosalieCancun

iPhone 6s

Post by RosalieCancun »

hi,

Why syncing with an iPhone 6s iis so slow?
Any suggestions on a fix for it?

thx
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
could you please update to the latest RC version (4.1.15.1814) :
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 84#p431509
and let us know whether your slow sync issue is resolved?