Bit depth [#11732]

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

sundiegojc

Re: Bit depth [#11732]

Post by sundiegojc »

[quote="HaraldBluetooth1963"]For such a high quality Music Organizer for Serious Collectors as MediaMonkey, bit depth should have been added in the database and as a column in the main window for a long time ago.

I hope, that this is possible to add soon, it would make MediaMonkey even more perfect for me :D[/quote]

It is mind-boggling that the developers and marketing gurus of such a well-engineered and supported product as MediaMonkey have chosen to [b][u]deliberately ignore[/u][/b] the shift in the digital music market towards hi definition audio, and the resulting need for a "24bit-aware" product.
Putting the addition of 24bit support and visibility off as a future "5.0.0.0" feature in Mantis is a slap in the face. It has been part of so many other products (dBPowerAmp, Foobar2000, etc.) for literally ages!It is a truly sad state of affairs. :evil:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That seems an incorrect assessment as playback is supported. The issue here is making a field available for display within MediaMonkey so you can see the bit depth of a file.
sundiegojc

Post by sundiegojc »

[quote="Lowlander"]That seems an incorrect assessment as playback is supported. The issue here is making a field available for display within MediaMonkey so you can see the bit depth of a file.[/quote]
The issue is MM displaying and using Bit Depth as a criteria for library searches, sorting, etc. While the fact that MM can play back 24bit files is a great (and quintessential) part of 24bit support, it does so blindly, without any user feedback that a 24bit file is being used, or providing a means of identifying others in the library.
Mr Sound Advice

Post by Mr Sound Advice »

Yeah, whatever he said...with an increasing amount of artistic material either unmarked as to the bit depth, or more sinister, it is mis-marked.

Notice my diplomacy using "artistic"; my genuine feeling is "It's not that I'm getting old, your music really does suck! :lol:
Nalak

Post by Nalak »

A bit late to the party, but for anyone reading this thread:

For uncompressed audio i.e WAV:

Bit depth = Bitrate/(sample rate * number of channels)

So for a 44.1khz WAV at 2116KBps:

Bit depth = 2116000/(44100*2) =~ 24

So if your library consists of uncompressed WAV files, you can fairly easily remember that a 2116KBps WAV is 24-Bit, and a 1411KBps WAV is 16-Bit.

I know it's not a lot of help, seen as the formula won't work for compressed audio i.e FLAC, but for the few that it might help, there you go.
pkfeldman

Show Bit Depth on the File Properties / Details tab

Post by pkfeldman »

The Details tab of the File Properties box has Sample Rate and Bitrate, but not Bit Depth. It seems like an obvious omission. Please add that to the bottom section of that page, maybe under Bitrate. Thank you.
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
brains123

Post by brains123 »

I think i'm definitely turning into an audiophile haha.
This still confuses me even though I have a degree in electrical and electronics engineering. . I want to know what the bit depth of the tunes in WAV format are i.e. 16, 24 or 32 (so that when I convert them I will get the best possible quality).
Think i’ve got it now, it makes sense when you look at this GCSE bytesize revision page
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/guides/z ... revision/4. bit depth is the number of bits per sample. There are a number of samples a second (44100) and its also stereo so x 2. To get the bit rate you multiple them together.
As my stupid software doesn’t tell you the bit depth, you need a calculator.
So
Bit rate = bit depth x sample rate x 2 (stereo)
In my example
Bitrate =1411 (kb/s)
Sample rate =44100 (samples /second)
Bit depth =?
So
1411,000 = bit depth x 44100 x 2
Bit depth = 1411,000/(44100x2) = 15.997 (i’ll take that to be 16 bit)
For the 2116 kb/s files
Bit depth = 2116,000/(44100x2) = 23.991 (i’ll take that to be 24 bit)

This is fine for uncompressed files. once the files are compress you have no way of knowing as it depends how much compression is applied. I'd like to know which of my flac files are 24 or 32. I'd then know if i'm actually hearing something that's good quality or just imagining it. Also trying to scale how much it would be worth me buying a high resolution audio player.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Even FLAC is VBR usually the most lossless codecs use approx 1/2 of RAW uncompressed format.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts