Need input "mixing" ability.

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Artie

Need input "mixing" ability.

Post by Artie »

This is something that not many people would need, and so will take a low priority on the wishlist scale, but I think more people would get into this once they try it. Most of my music listening, these days, is through headphones. But, I would like to place a microphone in the room, such that it picks up all extraneous sounds. Doorbell, phone, wife calling, and general things that go bump in the night. I can do this now with hardware. I have a vintage Yamaha CA-400 amp that has mic mixing. But I'd like to expand other hardware options. It would be cool if I could do this within MM itself.

Just a thought.
Artie
MMFrLife

Re: Need input "mixing" ability.

Post by MMFrLife »

So, you are looking for two features, ability to record and mixer functionality?

That would be cool. But...yeah, that'll be a tough one to get them to do. I would think they would leave that to the world of third-party add-on,
which would make it even more difficult to get done.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

This is a feature of Windows.

The following instructions are for Windows 10 but previous versions back to Windows 7 and probably Vista should be very similar. I can't remember if Windows XP had the same feature.
  • Open your Sound settings (start menu and type "Sound").
  • Go to the Recording tab.
  • Right click on your microphone or recording device and click Properties.
  • Go to the Listen tab.
  • Enable 'Listen to this device'.
With that enabled anything picked up by your microphone will be played through your headphones.
Artie

Post by Artie »

MMFrLife wrote:So, you are looking for two features, ability to record and mixer functionality?
No. I don't need to record. I just need MM, or any software player, to play music while the microphone input is active.
Artie

Post by Artie »

rivorson wrote:This is a feature of Windows.

The following instructions are for Windows 10 but previous versions back to Windows 7 and probably Vista should be very similar. I can't remember if Windows XP had the same feature.
  • Open your Sound settings (start menu and type "Sound").
  • Go to the Recording tab.
  • Right click on your microphone or recording device and click Properties.
  • Go to the Listen tab.
  • Enable 'Listen to this device'.
With that enabled anything picked up by your microphone will be played through your headphones.
That almost gets me there. On my computer, it's called "Realtek High Definition control panel", or somesuch. But when I do that, the mic is very noisy and weak. The "pink" noise is louder than the signal. I need to see what the specs are of my mic input. This mic may be wrong for it. I wonder if a USB mic could still be enabled?

P.S. Isn't there someway to quote multiple posts in one thread?
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

So, you're trying to mix the ambient sounds of the mic into the your headphones so when you are listening to music you'll be able to hear if/when you are
needed elsewhere (doorbell, wife calling, etc.)?

"multiple quotes in one thread"

Yes. Do the first quote directly with qoute button or manually and any after that find and paste manually by highlight > copy > paste into post following
quote tools format.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Artie

Post by Artie »

MMFrLife wrote:So, you're trying to mix the ambient sounds of the mic into the your headphones so when you are listening to music you'll be able to hear if/when you are needed elsewhere (doorbell, wife calling, etc.)?
Exactly. And it just occurred to me, what I'm essentially asking for is a karaoke mode. So to speak. Mic and music simultaneously.

And thanks for the "multi-quote" info.
Artie

Post by Artie »

Not karaoke per se. I don't need lyrics and all that stuff. And I want to use MM as my player. There's also another benefit to doing this. I've done this before with my big Tascam mixer, using nice Sennheiser mics. But that's a bit cumbersome. When you interject ambient sound into your headphone mix, it opens up the room. It doesn't sound like you're listening with headphones. Creates "air" and "space" around you. You can even hear yourself talk, so you don't get that "shouting at people" syndrome when you use headphones.