[SOLVED] Add/Rescan files deletes it from hard drive

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

pedro67g
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:42 pm

[SOLVED] Add/Rescan files deletes it from hard drive

Post by pedro67g »

Luckily I back up everything, but in the recent versions when I add/rescan MM actually deletes the file from my library. Does this happen to anyone else?
Last edited by pedro67g on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MMFrLife
Posts: 2807
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Add/Rescan files deletes it from hard drive

Post by MMFrLife »

That's odd. I've never had that happen.

What evidence do you have of that?
In the title of your post, you say Hard Drive, but in the post you say from the Library. Can you elaborate?
pedro67g wrote:but in the recent versions
It's happened to you in several recent versions?

If files disappeared, did you try to search them with windows search or even MM search?
Did you check MM's Entire Library (tree) > Location > Folder(s) with media files?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
others: Adv. Dup. Find & Fix and Backup 6.0, but buggy || software for power users: "Q-Dir"
(free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer- "ReNamer" (den4b)
MMW 4.1.31.1919; ...back it up...frequently!
rivorson
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:17 am

Re: Add/Rescan files deletes it from hard drive

Post by rivorson »

Do you have Auto-Organize enabled? It's most likely that the files are just being moved.
pedro67g
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:42 pm

Re: Add/Rescan files deletes it from hard drive

Post by pedro67g »

MMFrLife wrote:It's happened to you in several recent versions?
"Recent versions" meaning I always update when new versions are available and it has been happening for a while.
MMFrLife wrote:What evidence do you have of that?
Evidence is that I have an explorer window open when I add/rescan from that folder I see the song files disappear. I am assuming they are deleted but could be wrong.
rivorson wrote:Do you have Auto-Organize enabled? It's most likely that the files are just being moved.
Good point. My system crashed about a year ago and I rebuilt everything (from power supply, motherboard, processor, drives, etc.) so the system is reconfigured and my old library location isn't even valid with the new set-up. I'm not sure how to edit where MM should be scanning as I thought it was a meta program that watches over the whole system. My normal method is using the file tree to navigate to my new library location and choose music from there. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
MMFrLife
Posts: 2807
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Add/Rescan files deletes it from hard drive

Post by MMFrLife »

pedro67g wrote:...and my old library location isn't even valid with the new set-up. I'm not sure how to edit where MM should be scanning
Ok, so you are moving stuff outside of MM? ...of which it is recommended to use Folder Monitoring.
However, since you rebuilt your system and recently started using MM again(?), the recommendation for that is to first follow: Moving_MM_to_a_new_computer. Notably, the last section.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
others: Adv. Dup. Find & Fix and Backup 6.0, but buggy || software for power users: "Q-Dir"
(free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer- "ReNamer" (den4b)
MMW 4.1.31.1919; ...back it up...frequently!
pedro67g
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:42 pm

Re: Add/Rescan files deletes it from hard drive

Post by pedro67g »

I'll give that a try tonight and see if it does the trick. Can't remember but I probably have been "cheating" my way around it since the re-build and possible re-shuffle since then.
Thanks
rivorson
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:17 am

Re: Add/Rescan files deletes it from hard drive

Post by rivorson »

Check Tools --> Options --> Library >Auto-Organize to see if it's enabled and where it's sending the files.

Also, experiment by finding a file within MM then using Add/Rescan on its directory. The file should still be displayed in MM so you can then right click on it and choose Find More from Same --> Folder (Explorer). That will show you were the file is moved to.
Abbott002
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:26 am

Re: Add/Rescan files deletes it from hard drive

Post by Abbott002 »

I don't have this situation.Maybe It's just for few people.
pedro67g
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:42 pm

Re: Add/Rescan files deletes it from hard drive

Post by pedro67g »

Thanks all. It was moving the files via Auto-Organize to a very similarly named folder on my system. I guess I'll have to figure out if I want MM to control about 50k song files and trust that the file names are formatted like it wants. O r I can keep that feature off and control it myself....
MMFrLife
Posts: 2807
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Add/Rescan files deletes it from hard drive

Post by MMFrLife »

The pre-set auto-org function is great if you have a fairly simple structure and you make "certain" it's set correctly.
However, if it is complex and/or dynamic, it may not be such a good idea.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
others: Adv. Dup. Find & Fix and Backup 6.0, but buggy || software for power users: "Q-Dir"
(free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer- "ReNamer" (den4b)
MMW 4.1.31.1919; ...back it up...frequently!
Post Reply