2075: The "all tracks" view doesn't seem to be pure!

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MMFrLife

2075: The "all tracks" view doesn't seem to be pure!

Post by MMFrLife »

When I have it in "All Tracks" view and I want to use simple search, I don't want little images to pop up at the top as I search for things.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
dtsig

Re: 2075: The "all tracks" view doesn't seem to be pure!

Post by dtsig »

What little images? When I am in All Tracks and start typing the only thing that changes is the track list
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Thanks dtsig.
See related info for explanation Advanced Search Filter?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Any thoughts on this, as described in the above link and below?
MMFrLife wrote:Music > all tracks (shows only tracks at this point) > go to upper far right simple search > type in an artist > at this point "only tracks" drops down lower and at the top is the word Artist, with an artist image just below and below that is the word Album with album images related to the albums that were brought up by the search term.
It seems similar in principle to the online lookups header problem here except there is no "view menu option > header" to uncheck.
😜
jiri

Post by jiri »

We currently don't have any plans to make the search results configurable, even though certainly an Addon could implement a customized solution.

As mentioned, in All tracks you can start 'in-view' search by direct typing, which doesn't change the view at all and so there's only a tracklist shown as a result.

Jiri
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

jiri wrote:As mentioned, in All tracks you can start 'in-view' search by direct typing, which doesn't change the view at all and so there's only a tracklist shown as a result.
Where are you doing that at? Is the upper far right search field (with the big magnifying glass) the simple search?
And what do you mean by "in-view" (like "in-line"?)

Do you mean at the top of the file list area?
😜
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Clarification, please?
😜
jiri

Post by jiri »

Sorry, missed your post.

I mean that search that doesn't require any action to start, you just directly type letters. E.g. go to All tracks and type 'ABBA' letters and you'll get all the ABBA albums/tracks shown (filtered).

Jiri
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

jiri wrote:doesn't require any action to start, you just directly type letters.
Ah, very clever! It seems "Simple Search" just became even simpler. :D

So, the action to start is simply being in that mode while typing and the field appears after the fact. :wink:

Ok that's cool, but there is one thing I noticed that isn't (may have already been mentioned).
When the search field does appear (with perforated border), after a search is performed it can show that search as a dropdown.
However, when that manifests, it hides out the Artist and some or all of the Album column titles. It seems that the overall TrackList
needs to be dropped down a little more than where it currently sits.

Also, can you tell me what the search in the upper far right is properly called (one with large magnifying glass)?
😜
jiri

Post by jiri »

We need to find a good terminology so that it's easier to talk about the features... ;-) Any, for me that far top right feature is just the Search.

re. dropdown - not sure I understand the issue - the dropdown is there only when needed, so, not a big deal imho. Maybe a screenshot to show what you mean?

Jiri
TIV73

Post by TIV73 »

jiri wrote:We need to find a good terminology so that it's easier to talk about the features... ;-) Any, for me that far top right feature is just the Search.
Your post reminded me of a Windows Client support training I attended several years ago. One of the topics there was the correct usage of official names for UI elements in Microsoft products. We had an exam on that, with a screenhot of an excel window where we had to fill in the correct names for highlighted parts of the UI. That was weird.

Anyway, I believe MMFRLife is referring to the quick filter history. I never actually noticed it, but now that I tried it, it looks like the search history is... generous with remembering previous search results. I mean, you still need a lot of similar search result to actually hide enough rows to make it a problem, but in theory it's possible.

Now that I think about it, I never heard any official names for the UI elements, but I always assumed, for some reason, that the search in the top right (with the magnifier icon) is called 'Search' or 'Search Bar', the thing with the funnel icon 'Filter' or 'Filter Bar' and the search-as-you-type feature 'Quick Filter' or 'Instant Filter'
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Ok, I see now. At first, I just had one term saved and with that alone the length of my breadcrumbs navigation was
lining the search up just over the Artist and Album column titles causing the dropdown to cover them. It just threw
me at first. I don't know what I was thinking exactly. I guess for a few moments it seemed like something was
actually wrong or just really awkward looking.

Anyway.....liking it!

Thanks for the image TIV73. Great selection of music. I have most of what's displayed there and more.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As far as terminology, it's very important for communicative purposes but human nature makes it difficult
to be consistent in terms of setting up any kind of "so-called" proper usage.

Any of these seem good to me:

1. Far upper right (magnifying glass) - "Search", "Simple Search", "Global Search", "Simple Global Search"
2. All Tracks, Folders views - "Quick Search", "Fast Search", "Instant Search", "Speedy Gonzales Search" (I kiiid, I Keed)
Criterion-Based Searching
1. Large Funnel Icon Button - "Advanced Filter", "Advanced Filtering", "Advanced Global Filter"
2. Breadcrumbs Funnel Icon Button - "Advanced Filter, Trailing" ("Trailing Filter" for short)
3. All Tracks Advanced Filter On-Off Toggle switch - "Advanced Filter, On-Off"
- I think for this last one "on-off" should be changed to something like "hide-unhide" since on-off incorrectly sounds like it literally turns it on or off.
- The large funnel icon button is interesting because it has both "Activate" (turns it on, but not off) and "Hide-Unhide" (visibility, not cancelling) functionality.
- And, interestingly, the first #1 has changed from MM4 by the addition of images as a header to the results.

Technically, they are all filtering and searching, but since there are so many location/view manifestations, it may be helpful to use search
for the simpletons and filter for the more complex ones. It would give them more of a feeling of distinction or as if divided into classes.
Any other ideas?
😜