Unable to play m4a files

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Martin101

Unable to play m4a files

Post by Martin101 »

Dear All, I have just downloaded and purchased MM gold. My m4a files appear on the database but MM does not play them. I have Windows 10 and have installed the codec pack for good measure, but to no avail. Any advice would be appreciated.
Blomi

Re: Unable to play m4a files

Post by Blomi »

Same situation as mine. I don't understand why this happens. Hopefully we both get a quick help.
MMA, always currently beta
MMW4, always current Beta (Currently the last stable build, since it is a long time ;-) )
MMW5, alpha testing, but not in combination of MMA
OnePlus 3, Citrus-CAF
Android 8.1
Windows 10
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I had not seen/observed such issues. Just tested and have no issues to play M4A format.
Can you please open support ticket and along with Sample file create debug log as explained here https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=1&t=69
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Martin101

Post by Martin101 »

Thank you for your replies.

Peke: I have installed the debug version as requested in your link. However, no debug log is generated. Instead, when I attempt to play an m4a file MM skips over the track and moves on to the next until it finds one it can play. As regards a support ticket, please advise how I open one and I will happily do this.

Lowlander: Thank you for the link. This, however, states that MM4 supports m4a files. I already have MM4 installed.

I'd be grateful for your further advice.
Regards,
Martin
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You need to run DBGView to capture a log. This needs to be attached to a Support Ticket as per instructions: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=1&t=69
Martin101

Post by Martin101 »

Thanks for the reply. I'm pleased to say, however, that I have been able to resolve the problem. I re-scanned manually selecting the folders in which the files reside and MM now plays them.
Regards,
Martin
wysefamily

Post by wysefamily »

Peke wrote:Hi,
I had not seen/observed such issues. Just tested and have no issues to play M4A format.
Can you please open support ticket and along with Sample file create debug log as explained here https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=1&t=69
Peke, I am having the same issue. MM4 Gold with MM Codec pack. Windows 10. M4A files were all ripped from the original CD's and reside on a NAS on my network. Did you ever figure out what caused Martin101's problem?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Play a file from Explorer with MediaMonkey, does it fail? Do you get an error message? Which version of MediaMonkey?
happynumbernine

Post by happynumbernine »

I have exactly the same problem. Files ripped from CD by iTunes in .m4a format. I have installed the codec pack and purchased MediaMonkey Gold (version 4.1.21.1875 installed). Files WILL play in MM when selected from Windows Explorer, but NOT when I try to play them directly in MM - I get message that MM is unable to decode this format. Help!!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=1&t=69