Slow folder loading [#14922]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Fram

Slow folder loading [#14922]

Post by Fram »

Hi everyone! :)

I'm here to report a problem in MM5.
When i open a folder in MM4 with ~2000 files, MM will load about 200files/second instead of 10 files/second in MM5. The difference is huge. (under Windows 10, 1TB SSD laptop, i7 cpu & 16 GB RAM)
It would be great if MM5 would be at least as fast as MM4.

Have a great day!
MiPi

Re: Slow folder loading

Post by MiPi »

Hi,
files of what format? I have tried to test with 500 files, mixed MP3 and FLAC, and the speed was comparable, MM5 was only slightly slower. I have tested it with external HDD and it was much faster than 10 files per second even there (i5, Win10, 16GB RAM).
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Same here, maybe MM5 was even faster in some cases of Video files. I tested on several thousand both Audio and video located on NAS and speed was within a second or two.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Fram

Post by Fram »

Thanks for reply!

It seams that the drastic slow loading is present only for AIFF format files.
Out of curiosity I've tested for a folder with ~1100 mp3 files & 50 flacs and MM4 was with 2 sec faster than MM5. If the number of files increase the time gap increase also.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Fram: thanks, you're right, AIFF files slow things down. Tracked as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14922
MM4 does not support parsing AIFF files, so it skips these files only.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Fixed, it should be a lot faster in the next build. Thanks for feedback.
ITgreybeard

Re: Slow folder loading [#14922]

Post by ITgreybeard »

For quite some while, loading MM (gold) with a database of over 30K mostly-mp3 files took more than 30 seconds but under a minute on a quite capable and capacious dual-xeon workstation. More recently, loading and becoming responsive consumes more than 150 seconds. Under MM 4.1.20.1864 only the splash screen shows and disappears prior to the long wait for the app screen. MM version 4.1.21.1875 quickly moves from splash screen to app screen but remains unresponsive for the same 150+ seconds.

My recollection is that my starting cataloging .mp4 video files was coincident to the massive slowdown. But even after such files were removed from the catalogue, the slowdown persists; so the coincidence may have been entirely random. And the slowdown occurred a fair while before the number of catalogued files reached any magic 32767/8 figure.

Is this considered an issue by the MM team? If so, what is the most cogent documentation that you would like me to provide?
ITgreybeard : MM Lifetime Gold on Win10Pro, always the latest production release unless noted otherwise. My carryaround is an AMD-based Lenovo Yoga 6 w 8c/16t, 16GB mem and .5 TB ssd. NAS is an Intel-based Lenovo X1 Yoga Gen3 with 4c/8t, 16GB mem and .5TB ssd running Win10Pro, with many storage volumes (40TB) attached via Thunderbolt 3. Other towers and laptops can chime in as called for.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

ITgreybeard wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:37 pm Is this considered an issue by the MM team? If so, what is the most cogent documentation that you would like me to provide?
The best would be to save debug log from the long app. start (see https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=7&t=69) and attach it to new support ticket. Thanks.

P.S. this topic is for Alpha version of MediaMonkey 5 only ;-).
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

ITgreybeard: just saw your logs you have sent after app freeze. It seems to be problems with RegExp Find and Replace add-on. Try to disable it and restart.
ITgreybeard

Post by ITgreybeard »

Thx. I removed the debug version, removed the 3 files assoc'd w/RegEx and started MM. It performed superbly. Should I avoid that add-on, or try again at installing it?
ITgreybeard : MM Lifetime Gold on Win10Pro, always the latest production release unless noted otherwise. My carryaround is an AMD-based Lenovo Yoga 6 w 8c/16t, 16GB mem and .5 TB ssd. NAS is an Intel-based Lenovo X1 Yoga Gen3 with 4c/8t, 16GB mem and .5TB ssd running Win10Pro, with many storage volumes (40TB) attached via Thunderbolt 3. Other towers and laptops can chime in as called for.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

You should avoid this extension until the problem is fixed. It is also discussed here. Combination of this script and MS Windows Defender seems to be the main problem.