Request: Show details of activity at bottom of the screen

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

jimbob_sf

Request: Show details of activity at bottom of the screen

Post by jimbob_sf »

I'm unsure of the proper names of the windows, so I'll type it out.

In MM4, when there's an activity like scanning on startup, updating file metadata (from a script), importing files, volume leveling..., we can see the status at the bottom of the screen.

In MM5, I see a spinning circle in the upper right, but no persistent detail window. If I hover the mouse over the spinning circle, I see the detail in a hover window, but not a persistent one.

Seeing the status/progress is very helpful to see what's going on. Ex. When I start up, I like seeing that it's scanned X of Y (5k of 60k) files and the left->right progress bar. Why? I don't want to drop 500 new files to be organized while it's scanning 60k files. I can also get a sense of performance. If MM scans 60k files in seconds, that's great. If it suddenly slows down, there's something to look at (new build, bad db, hardware issue...)
teodore

Re: Request: Show details of activity at bottom of the screen

Post by teodore »

good idea
Windows 10 i7 8 Go - topping d30 - sansui au-222
Lyrics : http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 0&p=448074
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Have you tried to click on the circle?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
teodore

Post by teodore »

hidden stuff
good
Windows 10 i7 8 Go - topping d30 - sansui au-222
Lyrics : http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 0&p=448074
jimbob_sf

Post by jimbob_sf »

There is no action that gets that status/activity to pin to any area of the screen. The only thing I can get the UI to do is show the activity when hovering.

Question: Are you saying that clicking on the spinner will pin the activity/status to an area of the screen like MM4? I'm not sure you're saying that:
+ MM5 will pin it to the screen like MM4
+ MM5 will never pin that status to the bottom of the screen, but you can hover....
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

Pretty sure this was a skin issue, not a program issue. Material Design (not dark) has that pinned at the bottom of the window (underneath the current artist and track name, bottom left) by default. Monkey Groove has it pinned to the bottom middle (again, under the current artist - track name). The problem used to be that there was no way of making the status bar always visible in Material Design (Dark). However, this seems to be fixed in 2111+, as the circle icon seems to work more as a toggle than a temp view button. Glad that happened. That being said, I don't see any issues in latest build.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

jimbob_sf wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:41 am Question: Are you saying that clicking on the spinner will pin the activity/status to an area of the screen like MM4?
The spinning circle acts like a button. A click toggles the activity status bar message on, and then another click turns it off.
Like this, at the bottom of the MM5 window: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgnf54fk2ji8r ... r.png?dl=0

It may be a skin problem as malkierian says. I am using Material Desgun (dark) skin). I have the player panel turned off. I see status bar messages.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
jimbob_sf

Post by jimbob_sf »

I can't get that status bar to appear anywhere besides hovering over the spinner. I've switched skins, toggled various window components, maximized the window....

I just got a crash switching skins, so maybe there's something in there.

LogID: 76386157
jimbob_sf

Post by jimbob_sf »

I finally got things to show at the bottom of the screen by clicking on the spinner. I was focusing on the initial startup, "monitoring X of Y", process because that's the only thing that lasts more than a few seconds. For me, I can't get that initial scan status to show at the bottom. Volume leveling does pin just fine.

Is this expected behavior: The initial, startup scan / monitoring does produce a spinner, but cannot be made to show at the bottom
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

jimbob_sf wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:54 am Is this expected behavior: The initial, startup scan / monitoring does produce a spinner, but cannot be made to show at the bottom
No, it was bug. Thanks for reporting, will be fixed in the next build.