Unresponsive after resuming playlist after mma idle [#15279]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Phuler

Unresponsive after resuming playlist after mma idle [#15279]

Post by Phuler »

I have experienced a crash/hang when resuming a playlist after some time of mma being idle. This has happened twice since the most recent update to v1.3.4.0844 on a Sony xperia XZ1c on android 8.0.

When pressing play music does not start, it is possible to change track which loads the details and art but still does not play the track. mma will then become unresponsive and android will report mma not responding, I have sent a feedback log at this stage. After ~30 seconds mma will begin to respond and behave normally. Also sent a log S5XUEURPMJ after mma starting responding again.

Extra log from when music will not play - CDV5D5JBLT.
Peke

Re: Unresponsive after resuming playlist after mma idle.

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I have not observed such behavior. I tested today on 5 devices leaving them idle 3h.
Devices I tested are: Moto X4 (Pie), HTC Desire 820 (Marshmallow), Nexus 9 (Nougat), Huawei P20 Lite (Oreo), Moto G LTE (Kitkat) all resumed playback immediately Except HTC that took 3 Seconds due the battery safe mode and SDard was unmounted.

Added for analyze https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15279
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Phuler

Re: Unresponsive after resuming playlist after mma idle [#15279]

Post by Phuler »

What size playlists were you using for your testing? I did a little testing and seem to have found another way to trigger what seems to be the same issue.

1- Open mma
2- Play large playlist
3- Start a different playlist.

At 3 mma will start misbehaving. The player will
become unresponsive and the menus etc. will occasionally be slow. The same behaviour as the resuming after idle problem.

After step 2 navigating to the ratings tab will not show the total number of tracks in each category as usual. The totals will return after some time, which appears to increase with playlist length from step 2. I've sent log id ymnhwf3pjj at a period where the totals are not shown. Once the totals are shown again starting a new playlist will work normally.

For there to be a noticible unresponsive state the playlist needs to be >1000 tracks on my device.

I'll check whether I have any
issues resuming playlists from idle for shorter playlists and update this post later.
Phuler

Post by Phuler »

I have tested the original resuming playlist problem with different length playlists. As with my previous post short playlists ~100 tracks do not appear to have an issue. For longer playlists I get the behaviour described in the first post in this thread.

I have noticed that backing out of the player sceen to the home menu of mma occasionally starts the music playing from the unresponsive player state.

This problem is easily replicated, for me at least, so let me know if there are any further logs that I can send which would be helpful.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I'm still not being able to replicate and tested on 1000+ playlist and my daughter have 300+ on hers always and have not reported such behavior.

Can you please send us few more logs (try while MMA is frozen) and write them here.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Phuler

Post by Phuler »

Will update this post periodically with new logs.

Sent feedback linking to this thread after crash starting new playlist.
8AMTRXW7DG - Starting new playlist ~5k songs after device idle
1HX3Z2JLN4 - Resuming playlist from idle
Jaggybabe

Post by Jaggybabe »

Hi, I have the same problem when I choose a track from the complete playlist with over 7 k of titles. When I choose a small playlist with 100 titles everythung works finde.
Sony Xperia xcompact, Android 8.0, using mma without problems for a year.

What can I do?

Kind regards

JAGGYBABE
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

After you experience this send a debug log from MMA (from About) and respond with the logID here.
Phuler

Post by Phuler »

Log ID 1: C9Q3PYL4JE
Log ID 2: PVGIRUFQT7

Shuffling a new large playlist (unrated tracks) from idle. Unresponsive player to start as usual.

In this case the mma notification player stated no tracks selected. Log 1 sent at this point.

After a delay music started playing. After a further minute or so the currently playing track was changed in the middle of a song without further user input. The player was now responding normally. However the music playing is from the previous playlist. The now playing list shows the new playlist that I attempted to start which is not what is actually being played. Sent log 2 at this point. At this point I can navigate tracks normally in the now playing list but it is playing tracks from the previous playlist and not what the now playing list is showing.

The other user reporting issues is also using a sony xperia phone on 8.0 so perhaps this bug is specific to sony devices considering you not being able to
replicate.
Phuler

Post by Phuler »

Updated to MMA v1.3.4.0845

Issue has been improved but is not completely fixed.

On starting a new large playlist the music starts playing immediately and the details of the current song are loaded. The play/pause button works correctly but attempting to change track or seek the current song does not work. In this case the details/artwork of the next song will not be loaded. These buttons will begin to function after some delay which coincides the now playing list being populated. During this time the now playing list states that the list is either empty or loading. Sent log ID M43LXPHMPT at this point. The delay/unresponsive state appears to be significantly shorter and more consistent than before this update.

I have sent a number of crash logs which have occurred when doing various things in the app when the now playing list has not yet been populated, e.g. starting new playlist/navigating to now playing screen.

Similar behavior is seen when resuming from idle. Music now starts playing immediately but changing track is not responsive, here the details of the next song are loaded though. Log ID 9ZI5D1CP2I set at this point.
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

Hi,
some delay when you are loading large playlist is normal because also deletion of old tracklist takes some time.
Anyway, base on your previous logs the issue was in filling tracks to queue(available for BT devices/Android Auto).
You can try to enable a new option "Limit queue of tracks" in Developer options (You will get there via Options\About MediaMonkey\tap to MediaMonkey icon).

I guess it will solve your issue completely. Let me know.

Thanks.
Phuler

Post by Phuler »

Selecting the 'limit queue of tracks' option completely resolves the issue for me.

MMA now responds as it did prior to the update to v1.3.4.0844. You mention that you would expect a delay for a large playlist but with the above option selected this is <1s for my device.

If the issue is related to BT devices/Android Auto, and is a limitation that can not be resolved for large playlists, could the 'limit queue of tracks' option be enabled by default when these devices are not connected?