What means "Update Tags"? [#15306]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

hansi9990

What means "Update Tags"? [#15306]

Post by hansi9990 »

HI

There is a Setting named "Update Tags" under Options > Search for Metadata, does this mean that only the artwork images in the tags are updated or are there other tags changed here?
MiPi

Re: What means "Update Tags"?

Post by MiPi »

It means, that file tags are updated after image is found. If tags in DB are not synchronized with tags in the file (e.g. in case file was modified outside MediaMonkey), it can change also other tags, so they are synchronized with MM database.
hansi9990

Post by hansi9990 »

Hi

Thanks

And are there then only the tags updatet which I have defined in the fields below (Audio: Video :)?
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

It is similar situation - tags in Audio and Video fields tells MM, what data fill from Metadata server (like musicbrainz, tvdb, imdb), the rest of tags remains as they were in database before auto-tagging. But this can differ from tags actually included in the file (in case of previous tag editing in another application).
E.g.:
1) you scan file X.mp3 to MM DB, it contains artist="Artist1" and genre="Genre1"
2) you edit X.mp3 in another SW and change genre to "Genre2"
3) you auto-tag X.mp3 in MM, with only "Artist" field selected for auto-tagging -> it will change also genre to "Genre1" (taken from DB, not from metadata look-up)
hansi9990

Post by hansi9990 »

Hi

Well, as far as the DB of MM is concerned, it can be done automatically with tags from somewhere.
But what I'm interested in are the tags in the MP3 files, which I painstakingly, mostly with Musicbrainz Picard entered and also adapted to a not insignificant part of hand and I do not want overwrite all that automatical, only certain tags such as genre and artist images. For videos I do not care because I have not tagged them really clean.
So if I activate the Update tags field and "Auto-tagging > Audio:" e.g. only genre, contributor and comment select should it only be overwritten in the MP3 file or?

PS: Why it is not possible to configure video and audio separately?
Whenever I change the video settings, some of them are also taken over in audio.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Configuring Audio and Video fields separately is not finished yet, will be possible later, already tracked in issue 14486.

And yes, auto-tagging will overwrite (with values found on metadata server(s)) only tags selected in these options, other remain the same as they were in MM DB before auto-tagging (and not supported tags by MM DB should always remain in files untouched). But note, MM5 is still in beta phase and could contain serious bugs, please test it only with files you have backup-ed. And report problems, if you find some, thanks.
hansi9990

Post by hansi9990 »

Hi

Thanks for Information.

If the Setting "Look up missing artwork" and "Update tags" are selectet and the Artwork should be written in directly the MP3 Tags then it looks like a Bug.
I tried it with the Artist Artwork, the Pictures are found and displayed by MM5 but they are not written in the MP3 Tags.
Or is there any other setting to adjust?
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

You're right, it does not work in some cases, added as 15306, I will look at it.

But artist images are not meant to be saved to file tags at all, only album artworks.
hansi9990

Post by hansi9990 »

When I think about it, you are right, it does not make much sense to save artist Images in the Tag. If there are several tracks from the same Artist, which one of then should be shown? Ok, stupid Idea from me. ;)
Nevertheless, this Tag type exists in mp3 files.

All in all, this version of MM5 has become very good, there are still a few small problems and hanger but otherwise a great job of you all. Now I hope to follow some nice addons, then it's an unsurpassed audio/video tool (pity that a few programmers deny their support)
Peke

Re: What means "Update Tags"? [#15306]

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts